Top Shelf Aquatics

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank is looking great!

Although how can you have the username Duncan, a "green tank", but yet have no Duncansomma's?? :lol:

Ah, you caught me! Duncans are a rare finds over here at my place. And to pay over 100 bucks for a single head is impossible for a poor guy like me. :tears:

Thanks, InLimbo87!

Updates...

Decided against the anemone as I couldn't bear to sell the remaining corals. My precious...! *golum smirk*

Side story on my sales in the local forum... people are inquiring about my moai statues instead of my corals. I think I may have started a moai craze in the local scene now! lol!

Side story on my sales in the local forum... people are inquiring about my moai statues instead of my corals. I think I may have started a moai craze in the local scene now! lol!

SUCCESS!

• 3 weeks later...

Major change!

My tank is now an anemone prop tank! :lol: I sold almost all my corals and redo the aquascape entirely. What's left are the plates, hammers and some zoas... which might have to go as well when the nems start propagating. :D

So... I got two rose bubble tip anemones like 2 weeks ago. Their colors is more orange than red, but the bigger guy got a red foot while the smaller one got a brown foot. Originally, I just wanted one anemone but I just thought that 2 nems have a higher/faster chance of splitting, rather than just a single nem. I know I'm greedy... :P

After multiple aquascapings (at least 4 in 2 weeks!), my nems have finally settled in the exact spots that I wanted. *pants*

There are many pitholes in the new aquascape for the future baby anemones to drop their tiny feet in. I really want to grow as many anemones as possible!

Nothing has changed for my equipment except I have upgraded to a 150W metal halide. The anemones look really amazing under the 20,000K double ended bulb. One major drawback in my system now is the temperature rise (from 79F to 82F). The mh really boils the water and I need to add 2 more fans quick, but the clip-on fans are out-of-stock at the lfs. :(

Ever since the nems arrived, I have been feeding them market prawns every night 'cos I heard that heavy feeding increase the chance of splitting. The clowns and shrimps are horrible whenever I tried to feed the anemones. They would pry open the nem's tentacles and snatch the food from its mouth. In the end, I got to heavy feed these scavengers until they stuffed themselves full. I used to feed very little 'cos I'm afraid of the nitrate build up. Now, I don't have a choice if I want to keep up with the nem feeding. *sigh*

As for the clowns, they dashed straight into the anemones, both of them, when I put them in the tank. Lucky me! But I had to chase them away from their new homes as the nems need some quiet moments to settle down. Haha... Somehow, I rather wish the clowns would leave them alone.

Okay, recalling back from a few days ago, the bigger anemone was not doing well. It would shrink to nothing or flip its mouth out. Sometimes it would tried to move from its spot and I would move it back. Usually when a nem starts to die, it usually disintegrates very quickly (within hours). But this nem didn't dissolve and lasted for many days.

So just last night, I came home and found that it hid behind the rocks. Afraid that it was going to die back there, I removed it and guessed what I saw? It was splitting!!! omgomgomg The mouth was torn into halves all the way to the foot. I brought it close to the water surface and took a sniff, just to ensure. No rotting nem smell.

Carefully, I placed it back where I found it and let it do its thing. I prayed I didn't disrupt the process. Stupid me! :rant: After an hour, I checked again and saw it attached its foot on 2 rocks, trying to tear itself up. :haha: I can't believe what I'm seeing!

Anyway, how long does a nem take to split? After 5 hours, it was still splitting. I wish I can stay home and watch but I got to go for work. So it is almost 10 hours since I last checked on it. I hope to see 2 healthy nems when I reach home... more updates later. *pray pray*

AWESOME! Hope all goes well! Be sure to post pics, pics, pics :D

Bad news... nem not splitting anymore... :(

I came home and found it deflated on the sand. Somehow, it merged itself together, meaning the tear from the foot to the mouth reattached back. And worse, the guts are flipped inside out. It looked very sick now. I keep it in a breeding box for recovery. Sigh, I shouldn't move it when I found it splitting in the first place.

No pics at the moment, my camera is not with me. I will post 'em as soon as possible.

thats a shame. you wouldn't beleive how many posts i've seen look like this. long story short, never ever attempt to move an anemone without a serious reason to do so.

hmm how often do you change your tanks?

You mean change tank as in water change? 2 weeks once, each time about 20-30%...

thats a shame. you wouldn't beleive how many posts i've seen look like this. long story short, never ever attempt to move an anemone without a serious reason to do so.

Yup, I shouldn't have moved it and now I regreted deeply. It didn't make it in the end. :(

Here's some new pics...

The remaining colonies of my hammer after some serious deforesting

DSCN7385.jpg

A couple of new zoa frags scattered over all the rocks

DSCN7386.jpg

The replacement anemone with nemo... (I know some really hate the name nemo... :P)

DSCN7372.jpg

Another pic

DSCN7391.jpg

And one of the older rose

DSCN7388.jpg

Thanks, man! :lol:

There's something that I noticed about the anemone bubble tips...

Under MH 150W, the bubble tentacles are plump and short.

Under T5HO 96W, the bubble tentacles are long and stringy.

Under sunlight, the tentacles are slightly plump and long.

It seems like a case of inadequate lights to me. So those folks whose bta tentacles are stringy like a lta might want to upgrade their lights. Well, this is just based on my observations. Just my 0.02.

Thanks Diane!

I took the shots using my future-in-law's SLR. I'm still figuring the camera out. The zillion functions on it are driving me nuts and took me hours to get a decent pic out! *shrug* I'm a camera noob. haha

HappyPlaty, thank you thank you!

Yup, no skimmer. Filterations are through rocks (biological) and a bag of carbon/phosguard (chemical). I'm a equipment noob as well. Hence the simpler approach. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... Me, the equipment phobia noob decided to try out a hob protein skimmer in an effort to curb the green hair algae explosion due to my sudden heavy feeding for the rose anemones. I was torn between two minds whether to skim or not and then when I saw a sweet deal on a 2nd hand skimmer in the local reef forum, I gave in.

This skimmer got a real bad reputation on nr... but being the cheapskate guy, I ignored all sirens and bought it anyway. So here it is... the infamous RED SEA PRIZM DELUX! lol

I mounted it to one of side which is covered with black background anyway.

DSCN7468.jpg

It's a lot a lot less than the original price of 288 bucks. Although it's 8 months old, missing a couple of mounting screws and a leaky loose connector neck for the pump... still a great deal to me though. Anyhow, I fixed it up and hooked it up to the tank.

DSCN7446.jpg

Not too bad for a first 24 hours skimming... check out the skimmate on the right side of the cup. Brown and smelly...!

Top view of the reactor chamber, coated with yucky foam.

DSCN7482.jpg

Well, with its horrible feedbacks, at least this skimmer skims something out, so it's better than no skim at all... lol

Here's an updated equipment pic... pretty crowded now. lol

DSCN7476.jpg

150W 20K metal halide, fan, hob skimmer, air pump, wide flow powerhead... I think I'm straying from my original idea of keeping things simple. :P

Thanks for reading my updates!

Dunacan, at the moment I'm thinking about starting a setup similar to yours. The tank's about 20-25 gallons[29.5x12x16]. I was just going to add 15 pounds of liverock, 12 pounds of live sand, a 25 watt heater, and a couple of medium-sized pumps. And maybe a small lamp. I'm only going to add a couple of fish(no coral). Do you think I should put anthing else[carbon, maybe?]. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

TIA

Travisurfer:

Yup, lol me! My next investment would be a tank upgrade... but that's not happening in 1 or 2 years' time. lol @ myself.

Oogie:

Thank you! Some lfs January candies for your eye feast!

post-1198-1199178464.jpg

post-1198-1199178488.jpg

post-1198-1199178513.jpg

post-200-1199024567.jpg

post-1198-1198819610.jpg

post-1198-1198819528.jpg

post-1198-1199178740.jpg

And the link for them...

http://www.absolutereef.com/forums/index.p...st&p=158815

All the above pic are from a single lfs, Golden Octopus. If I want the best corals, I'd definitely go to them. And opps, I'm posting their pics without permission. Hope this won't escalate into another 'sorry I saved your pic for my desktop wallpaper' thread. :P

Anyway, if you wish to come to Singapore, I'd be glad to show you around. But lfs only, I'm not so familiar with other places of interest. lol, me the fish geek.

seastar12:

Hi! It always make me warm inside when my little tank can get people into the hobby or get similar setups like mine.

Well, if it is a FOWLR, I say you are good to go. I use carbon for clarifying the water but change them regularly on a 2 week basis. A simple setup that depends on biological filtration solely would require a lengthy cycle period. Even if the nitrate reads 0ppm by the 2nd week, go on and wait for another 2-3 weeks before doing anything to it. And once you get everything going, the feeding has to be minimal or on par the level your bio-load can handle.

And erm, what else... ya, get the most porous rock you can. Its not the amount of weight that matters, but the amount of surface area you can get for a better biological filtration. I hope that helps you. Good luck to your new setup.

And opps, I'm posting their pics without permission. Hope this won't escalate into another 'sorry I saved your pic for my desktop wallpaper' thread. :P

:haha:

Archived