Top Shelf Aquatics

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

I really like this tank. Great job Duncan!

Thanks, Truck_Under_Water.

Not sure if it still appeals to you guys since it's a different look now. Personally, I hate it. Been searching for a suitable rock to fill the gap. :lol:

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think i am going to put some xenia on my moai's head eventually :)

Noticed mine was lying on the sand like some kind of ruined temple gate? Ah, the wonders of moai! lol

Great idea! How about a gsp beard and moustache to go along with the xenia hair? Btw, I prefer afro hairstyle for the moai. :happy:

EDIT: the tank is looking awesome! in the middle to lower middle area with blank rock, i would add a neon green sarco, green hairy mushrooms(and maybe a ric or two), and possibly a nice little green zoa colony. HTH.

Great minds think alike huh? :D

I have thought about that too. Some green zoas and mushrooms laced around the lower area, just to fill the gaps.

Sorry for the algae loss. But you gotta get rid of that f$^r before you spend spend and spend on fish and invertebrates. Tank looks amazing like that, but you really need to get some macro again! That was your GREEN tank theme and thats very unique. You don't see around lots of saltwater planted aquariums and your's was really badass.

Tank looks amazing like that, but you really need to get some macro again! That was your GREEN tank theme and thats very unique. You don't see around lots of saltwater planted aquariums and your's was really badass.

Thanks, sammy113! I do really want some macro back in the tank! :happy:

Updates again!

Bad news... :o

The acropora died. Yes, I killed it within the 1st night. When I came back at night from work, I can smell the rotting odor from the doorway. :tears:

Saw that most of the acro's flesh were gone and quickly took it out before it added more damages to my water quality.

The water was cloudy and I did a 20% water change and I replaced the carbon and phosguard. Luckily, the rest of the corals are fine and the water is back to normal.

Felt really bad about the acro. I swear I won't keep acro anymore. A thriving monti cap don't mean the condition is good enough for acro.

Good news...

I went to the local fish farm to pick out my replacement rock for the macro rock. Took an hour to select the perfect rock - flat top, slanted spike at the bottom, span 10 cm wide and filled with macro algae.

My puzzle is completed!

DSCF0627.jpg

And an big surprise for me is that I found the perfect GREEN zoas and the boss didn't charge me a cent for it. :happy: Reason? There isn't enough polyps to consider it as a sale item.

Green! Green! Green!

DSCF0621.jpg

awesome zoas!

Nice Duncan, keep it up!

2 travis back to back! :lol:

Thanks guys! Yeah, about the zoas, I'm going to say the same thing that everybody has been saying about their photos:

"The pic does not show the true color of the zoas!"

It's a freaking dark neon green! I don't know how can dark and neon color to exist together! Apparently, this zoa did it!

*edit: My previous is post #666! The devil post!

I was playing around with the camera manual setting and took some macro shots of all my corals, but I still can't get the exact color presentation of the corals. <_<

Camera: FuijiFilm Z3

ISO: 100

Exp. Compensation: -1/3

White Balance: Shade

Cup Coral

DSCF0656.jpg

Some kind of GSP variety

DSCF0657.jpg

Octopus Frogspawn

DSCF0658.jpg

Hammer

DSCF0659.jpg

Monti Cap

DSCF0662.jpg

Zoas

DSCF0663.jpg

Frogspawn

DSCF0665.jpg

Ric

DSCF0666.jpg

Any suggestion to improve my photography disability? :lol:

Thanks, pal. I will definitely call you up next time. :lol:

Well, I got a elegance coral by mistaking it as a duncan. *sigh* god, I feel dumb...

Anyway, long story short, I got it in my tank now.

Here's the elegance coral

DSCF0675.jpg

Yup, it's up on the rock, but that's the least flow area I got in the tank. They said it needs not so clean water, I'm sure mine will qualified. In any case, I'd have to watch this one carefully.

Okay, the final last piece of coral to complete the picture.

hydnophora sp ... I mistaken another coral again... I thought it's a montipora digitata until someone on nr pointed out to me!!

DSCF0677.jpg

FTS

DSCF0679.jpg

Notice the elegance coral is placed furthest away due to its stinging nature, although there's a bunch of rics around it. I figured they should be safe.

DSCF0680.jpg

Well I was told that my latest coral is a hydnophora sp. instead of a montipora digitata. So I went on to read about it and found that it is extremely aggressive and kills any coral close to it. :scarry:

No way I'm letting it sting my hammer (left of it) to death. I made a stand out of coral chips, to stack the hydnophora sp. higher and some distances away from all corals.

DSCF0684.jpg

I hope it is far enough... :unsure:

sororityreefer, thank you.

Most of the fishes died while I was in Taiwan... I wondered why bad stuff always happened when I go on a trip. Why???

Anyway, I was left with 1 cardinal with battle scars (torn fins) and went on to get 4 more cardinal of the same type. Torn-fin is the leader of the pack now, herding the newbies fearlessly. lol

travisurfer... it's the 2nd time I mis-identified a coral this week. Felt like kicking myself! Had a lousy feeling when I found out about it. And a even lousier feeling when they are the meanest corals around the block.

Glad to see that you've found a nice macroalgae-covered rock - it just didn't look the same without one!

Looks like everything should grow out nicely and be a nice green paradise for your fishies :)

Wait a minute... why is your monti cap red instead of green?! :lol:

DSCF0662.jpg

Hmm tough call... He does fit the theme, and looks very cool; but there is the omgomgomg factor... dunno but I'd say laters to him just to be safe.

-pinner

guys whats the deal with the hitchicker? what happens if he dies????

Wait a minute... why is your monti cap red instead of green?! :lol:

Thanks, PieNinja! I love that macro-algae rock!

Haha, that monti was a big bargain I couldn't pass it up! You won't believe how cheap it was. And I'm glad it's red. It kinda contrast with the green coral.

guys whats the deal with the hitchicker? what happens if he dies????

It's a slug, some kind of nudibranch. Nudibranch nukes tank if dies. But mine is rather small and is the same size after 4 months!

It's a slug, some kind of nudibranch. Nudibranch nukes tank if dies. But mine is rather small and is the same size after 4 months!

I think i saw a few slugs on my rocks, but they where not as nice looking, i think it had a small shell on it or something. Kinda ugly not bright colors, are those common and is it safe? I only see them sometimes, should i try to take them out?

I think i saw a few slugs on my rocks, but they where not as nice looking, i think it had a small shell on it or something. Kinda ugly not bright colors, are those common and is it safe? I only see them sometimes, should i try to take them out?

A shell on the back? It might be chiton.

Look anything like this? A chiton got 8 plates on its back. It's reef-safe. I used to have a red chiton.

200587114858_Chiton%20olivaceus1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiton

Archived