Top Shelf Aquatics

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

First impulse buy for the tank! A pair of carpenter's flasher wrasse. Couldn't resist the sweet talk from the lfs owner. :blush:

Here they are, the guy wooing his girl. Flashing his fins like a peacock.

DSCN7593.jpg

2 ladies for the lucky guy? Nah, Just her reflections.

DSCN7588.jpg

And a final fts, my octo frogspawn looks pretty awkward, like a ice-cream cone... lol. Hopefully, the coralline algae will cover up the skeleton and the supporting coral branch.

DSCN7585.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks great! i still envy your rockscape! very nice overhangs and aquascaping in general!

how often do you prune the algae though? it looks like it's a pita to keep in check.

looks great! i still envy your rockscape! very nice overhangs and aquascaping in general!

how often do you prune the algae though? it looks like it's a pita to keep in check.

Thanks, tiny! Eh... I haven't prune the algae yet. There are quite an amount of algae drifted off and stuck to the powerheads. So I'm re-planting those onto the bare patches on the rocks.

Flasher wrasses are amazing fish. I would consider putting a top on the tank because I believe they are jumpers. Maybe you could do something like bluebastion on his finnex tank with halides. HTH.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke my no-fish rule (again), and got a trio of fishy fishy. See that group at the bottom right corner of the tank?

DSCN7678.jpg

My latest residents, longspine cardinal fish aka blue-eyed cardinal... obviously!

DSCN7679.jpg

The pic does no justice to the iridescent blue markings on the fish. When the lights are on, they shone like the blue moonlight LEDs! Sparkling blue! :lol:

DSCN7685.jpg

Once the lights are off, the longspine cardinal becomes a boring white transparent fish, just like cinderella, back in tatters when the clock struck 12. :(

One thing, unlike the chromis, is that the cardinal really school together! I can put a group of chromis in the tank, but they'd most likely swim alone for most of the time. These cardinals stick their butts together everywhere they go!

looking good!

iie, mada mada desu. :happy:

awesome little update. a good bioload building up too.

Thanks! bioload as in....the addition of the fish?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to junkitu's mushroom tank for the impulse buy!

Rics, in green. Green is the only color for this tank. lol

DSCN7782.jpg

It's a huge colony with 9-10 green rics. :happy:

Updates...

I got a weird breed of gsp from a newly-opened lfs. The owner insisted it's not gsp and called it something else. It got pink mat instead of the usual purple mat and the mat texture is bumpy and leathery instead of the velvet mat with high protuding polyp tubes.

Anyway, here's the pic:

DSCN7798.jpg

The 'gsp' is the one in the middle.

Corner shot

DSCN7797.jpg

My first sps, monti cap! It was a steal! The skeleton is exposed quite a bit, but they are so cheap that I couldn't pass them up. I hope they will recover under my care. :happy:

DSCN7785.jpg

My reef guardian angel, Mr Moai babysits the monti caps. :D

Close-up monti cap

DSCN7787.jpg

My new FTS

DSCN7791.jpg

Note the hammer frag on the far bottom right. One of the inhabitants (biggest suspect, hermits) managed to 'frag' a branch off the hammer tree.

I love this partial tank shot with a bit of everything, including the moai statues. :lol:

DSCN7796.jpg

Well... I was lifting my top rock up and had some fingers in the holes around the edges. Then something strike my thumb hard with a loud snapping sound!

MANTIS! I knew I'm hit by a mantis and I couldn't drop the rock as that will crack the glass. I placed the rock back slow and easy and examined my thumb. There was a hairline crack found on my thumb nail but nothing serious though.

I'm feeling lucky the mantis didn't hit on the fleshy part! :lol:

Time to hunt some mantis... again!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, nice tank ducan! It is nice to see a tank w/ macroalgae that works well with the corals. It is almost like a saltwater rendition of an Amano tank. =)

Cute ideas for the Moai heads. I was thinking about it earlier, but how about gluing a patch of GSP onto their heads? They will totally look like Chia Heads when the GSP grows! lol :D

travisurfer

Ouch! I'm glad I haven't been hit yet but I know its coming. Always be sure to put antibiotics on it asap since their dactyls can harbor some nasty bacteria. I finally reincorporated my moai back into my main display again.

PieNinja,

thanks! My tank as the reef version of Amano's? Wow, that's a huge compliment!

The mini-me moai are ideas I got from Travisurfer and Oogie. GSP on moai? Chia heads? LOL. I think I will give it a shot!

travisurfer,

I got the mantis... and its alive! Thats the one I posted in your thread. Living in my other tank now. I smashed up the topmost rock( the one with the macro algae) to get to it.

Now I'm missing my macros... :(

And yeah, we need more moai tanks! or buddha or statue of liberty tank! hee

psidriven,

That thing comes as a hitchhiker, so I really got no idea what is it. Should be a sea bunny... it got those bunny ears and tail. hee

It's still roaming about on the rocks and glass. :)

i love those cardinals, they are really cool. I've never ssen them before, but if I did, I think I might just buy them too. Nice setup too.

great tank

Thank you!

i love those cardinals, they are really cool. I've never ssen them before, but if I did, I think I might just buy them too. Nice setup too.

Liveaquaria.com listed them as long-spine cardinals, we called them blue-eye cardinals. They really school, not just swim together. Thanks for the comments.

Updates...

I accidentally smashed the macro-filled rock to the floor while I was freshwater-dipping it. Purpose of that? To catch a 2 inch mantis that has attacked me for 5 times.

Tank looks bald without the waving macro-algae. :(

On the up side, it's easier to clean the glass at the back.

Deaths... 2 flasher wrasses and 2 cardinals. I was in Taiwan when it happened. :tears:

My monti cap has some modest growth for the past month! New flesh has grown over the exposed skeleton. :)

And its been a while since I added anything to this tank. So, I decided to further my experience with sps and got this today!

DSCF0604.jpg

Green Acropora, maybe a fancy name for it. Hmm, Green Lantern Acro! :lol:

And new fts of the day

DSCF0607.jpg

Tank looks like it's missing something... just can't put my finger on it.

DSCF0608.jpg

Since the top rock was gone, I shifted the hammer and monti cap down.

Thanks for looking!

travisurfer

i think i am going to put some xenia on my moai's head eventually :)

EDIT: the tank is looking awesome! in the middle to lower middle area with blank rock, i would add a neon green sarco, green hairy mushrooms(and maybe a ric or two), and possibly a nice little green zoa colony. HTH.

Archived