Pod Your Reef

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like how it looks so open and there isnt much equipment to distract your eye it looks very good

Thanks, echo-bravo 4-19! I tried to minimize the equipment as much as possible. Note the hanging sock of carbon next to the rigth PH. It's small but ghetto!

That is a really nice tank, love what you did to the mantis!

:haha:

Thanks, CGNano! I can't have a good night sleep with 2 mantis lurking in my budding tank. It was a nightmare!

Poor mantis. You didn't really have to do that :( Its a shame too as they may have actually been a pair which is quite the rare occurance.

I understand they were trying to survive, but guess they picked the wrong rock to hitch in, which unfortunately, led to their untimely deaths.

I never saw them interacted with each other, but at least they were good neighbors. They never tried to bother one another.

I would have just kept the mantids. They are kinda cool and would have probably became more interactive with you :( They remind me of small, ugly puppies. Oh well, too each his own :) Tank is quite nice.

Updates:

Today, I went to a bunch of local fish farms (LFF) located in the eastern region of Singapore. Needless to say, all of them are huge and have plenty of varieties. I heard that they do exports, and probably to the LFS in america. :D

I was very impressed by one of the LFFs and bought these babies home.

Hammer pic

DSCN7515.jpg

Frogspawn pic

DSCN7516.jpg

So now the tank needs 2 more LPS (I want 4 lps only), which probably be branching type and of course, they must be green! :happy:

And here's the FTS under actinic!

DSCN7514.jpg

More corner shot! Starring- hammer and froggy, co-starring- fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp and last but not least, moai guy!

DSCN7513.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, clifford513. I thought a back while ago, mantis are the rats of the reef and everybody is trying to get rid of them. Seems like I have not catch the mantismania yet.

i agree with travis about the tank. duncan, where have you been? the mantis tank thread i started has been on the front page for over 6 months now :happy:

Duncan, your tank just keeps getting better and better, keep up the good work.

i agree with travis about the tank. duncan, where have you been? the mantis tank thread i started has been on the front page for over 6 months now :happy:

Thank, Travis and Travisurfer! Boy, 2 travis replied to my thread, back to back!

Yup, your mantis thread is the spotlight hogger snd made cozmo a superstar! :happy: If mine are a pair of super duper cool peacock mantis, I think I will forsake my livestock for them! :lol:

Updates...

My frogspawn and hammer blooms nicely after being added for just a day. Since the local coral farm uses actinic only for their lps, I'm afraid my T5HO might be too strong for my new additions. Currently, I'm running on actinic only and adding an hour of white light to the tank each day.

Here are some pics with the LPS under the 10000K with actinics.

There's a rainbow on the right wall!

DSCN7520.jpg

I love to take corner shots!

DSCN7519.jpg

And the fts.

DSCN7518.jpg

Thanks for looking!

that looks awesome!

Thanks again, travis! :D

beeeeeeautiful.

I read your sexy shrimp thread. Unfortunately, I have no clue!

tank looks great though.

C

Thanks and thanks for reading up on my sexy shrimp thread too. I hate to take the sexy out just because they hang out in my frogspawn and turning green at the same time!

Updates...

I released the sexy shrimp back to the tank. Apparently, the green tint on the sexy shrimp, accordingly to the lfs, is a common behavior. It seems like the sexy loses the brown/red and becomes green at night.

I verified this color changing ability myself. I turned on the lights at 6am, the sexy was green and gradually, it turned brown. You guys can try it out, and usually, the larger sexy tends to turn green while the small sexy remains pretty much brownish.

More updates...

I have a temperate raise from 81F to 84F ever since I got my T5HO. It's bad news for my new LPS, which are currently acclimating to the lights (add 1 hour per day).

Since I'm keeping things simple and low cost, clip-on fan is the way to go.

The last 2 clip-on fans on the shelf. Lucky me!

DSCN7522.jpg

Now, my temperate dropped to 80F which I felt, is pretty amazing!

The frame and the pc fans are seperated, so I might change to the blue LED embedded pc fans for moonlight effect.

Oh boy, I was lucky today. I went to my lfs and they just got their new shipment in! A particular LPS caught my eyes, the uber True Octopus coral (anchor type). It was love at first sight and I knew it will be my third and last coral.

Pics of all my LPS

True Octopus

DSCN7523.jpg

Frogspawn

DSCN7529.jpg

Hammer

DSCN7527.jpg

wow, that octopus coral is great!

Yeah, and I thought I brought home a bunch of octupus stuffed together in a coral skeleton! lol

And I used to think that true octopus is just a fancy name for frogspawn with extra multiple of bumps on each tentacles... well, not anymore!

And I was in hell of a luck! Being the first few in the lfs right after the shipment came. There're 20 over true octopus corals to cherry pick from! hahahahaha!

And it's funny that each of my coral has a moai next to it! lol

I have a temperate raise from 81F to 84F ever since I got my T5HO. It's bad news for my new LPS, which are currently acclimating to the lights (add 1 hour per day).

Oh boy, I was lucky today. I went to my lfs and they just got their new shipment in! A particular LPS caught my eyes, the uber True Octopus coral (anchor type). It was love at first sight and I knew it will be my third and last coral.

Great find on those LPS corals, I like them all and your reef is really looking good.

Be careful of high temps. I found out the hard way that some LPS corals could be very sensitive to high temps. We had a big heat wave last July and my NC6 temps went into the 90s over the course of two weekends and the two types of frogspawn in my nano both died. Luckily the rest of my corals survived after looking really bad for a couple of weeks.

Rick

put a tang in and it will be sweet!

:happy:

I'm considering about it...! :haha:

add nothing to the tank. keep the zen

Yup... most probably will not add anything more. I will keep the stark and spacious look.

It keeps getting better! Beautiful!

Thanks for the comments!

We had a big heat wave last July and my NC6 temps went into the 90s over the course of two weekends and the two types of frogspawn in my nano both died. Luckily the rest of my corals survived after looking really bad for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad the rest of the livestock made it. I love your floating rock!

Yup, I agreed that lps is very sensitive to temperature just as sps is sensitive to water parameters. Thanks for the comments and advice, rickjg.

Now that I have 2 fans, the evaporation rate is unbelievable! Might just need a dripper. I wanted to keep things simple, but it seems like I'm adding more and more equipments! :rolleyes:

maybe you could try one clip on fan in the center with the blue led in the middle to reduce evap a bit

I will try that in the future cos my wires are all entangled lol. Thanks, travisurfer! Meanwhile I just gotta topup more.

Archived