SaltCritters.com

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

supreme_spork
That's a tiger sponge (or so the local guys called it)! I want too! But it's way out of my league. Astronomical price tag...!

that's the coolest sponge i've ever seen.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, I know. You can find the most amzing stuff in the ocean alone. I'm waiting for a mermaid. I keed, just in case my gf is reading this this! lol

Wow, those look nice! You do have some acans... Anyway I can send you money and you ship it for me? I will pay for your hard worings........

Always fun to get an update from you, Duncan. :D

More tank shots soon?

Anyway, if you wish to come to Singapore, I'd be glad to show you around. But lfs only, I'm not so familiar with other places of interest. lol, me the fish geek.

LOL!

Sad thing is, those are the places I'd like to see the most, too...:lol:

--Diane

Hi Oogie, I got zero experience in shipping stuff, and live coral at that for the first time! I can do that for you, but I don't know the proper ways to pack a coral. I don't know if the acan is going to end up as a bag of bones at your doorsteps! :scarry: Anyhow, I'm going to need your guidance in shipping stuff aboard.

But there's one thing, I need to check if my government allows exporting live corals out of the country (without a license) into South Korea and vice versa. If my memory served me correct, Propagator got himself into a messy situation when he bought some frag from some guy in Hong Kong. Seemed like the custom officer at the USA side opened his parcel and he got in trouble for breaking the export/importing coral law without some kind of license.

Always fun to get an update from you, Duncan. :D

More tank shots soon?

LOL!

Sad thing is, those are the places I'd like to see the most, too...:lol:

--Diane

Haha... Asian guy always talk funny! Thanks, Diane!

I hate to post my tank shots now... My aquascape sucks big time. Bascially, I scaped the whole tank around my rose anemones. All rocks are almost lying flat on the sand, no stacking up. Reason is that I want to have easy access to the roses if they decided to hide at the back. With this aquascape, I only need to remove 1 rock to pick them up. And I have been careless with my feeding too. Sometimes, big chunky pieces of prawn meat (for my anemone) were snatched by clowns, shrimps etc. Then they would drop the uneaten meat into places I couldn't reach. Hence, the big algae outbreak now. Haha... *shrug*

I'd definitely post new tank pics when the algae starts to clear up. Hope my 'powerful' prizm skimmer is up for the job! lol

Fish geeks unite! You will be spoil for choices in the lfs here. Marine aquarium is big business in Singapore.

Hi Oogie, I got zero experience in shipping stuff, and live coral at that for the first time! I can do that for you, but I don't know the proper ways to pack a coral. I don't know if the acan is going to end up as a bag of bones at your doorsteps! :scarry: Anyhow, I'm going to need your guidance in shipping stuff aboard.

But there's one thing, I need to check if my government allows exporting live corals out of the country (without a license) into South Korea and vice versa. If my memory served me correct, Propagator got himself into a messy situation when he bought some frag from some guy in Hong Kong. Seemed like the custom officer at the USA side opened his parcel and he got in trouble for breaking the export/importing coral law without some kind of license.

I understand..... I think you can do this....

I will pay for nice acan colony.... I don't have much room in the tank, so you can frag it in half, keep half for yourself. Keep it in your tank for little while so frag can heal some.

When you ship it.... you can use fake name and address of the shipper.... If it gets in trouble, I will just say, hmmm, i wasn't expecting any package from singapre!

I will pay for nice acan colony.... I don't have much room in the tank, so you can frag it in half, keep half for yourself. Keep it in your tank for little while so frag can heal some.

When you ship it.... you can use fake name and address of the shipper.... If it gets in trouble, I will just say, hmmm, i wasn't expecting any package from singapre!

haha, if that's fine on your side! I will keep a lookout for any nice acan around here and contact you via pm. But I bet the ones in the pic were sold. These stuff are selling like hotcakes.

My only fragging experience is cutting up zoas using a art 'n' craft penknife! :scarry: I don't have a dremel which I believe is the proper tool for fragging acan. Might have to borrow one somewhere... but most acans here are really smallish, so no worries.

yea, Singapore would get to you much faster than here in the U.S....great idea~ just make sure it isn't illegal!

Hi Oogie, I just found that its illegal to export corals out of Singapore without a permit. :(

Here's the linky.

Endangered Species (Import and Export) Act 1989 Section 4

Here's a list of countries for coral import/export laws

http://www.coralreef.gov/taskforce/interna.../pdf/append.pdf

I'd find out if the permit is cheap and easy to approve.

yea, Singapore would get to you much faster than here in the U.S....great idea~ just make sure it isn't illegal!

It's illegal on my side unless approved with permit. South Korea seems okay for importing without permit.

Hi Oogie, I just found that its illegal to export corals out of Singapore without a permit. :(

Here's the linky.

Endangered Species (Import and Export) Act 1989 Section 4

Here's a list of countries for coral import/export laws

http://www.coralreef.gov/taskforce/interna.../pdf/append.pdf

I'd find out if the permit is cheap and easy to approve.

It's illegal on my side unless approved with permit. South Korea seems okay for importing without permit.

What if we do this......

Get a big thermo, put acan in there, and ship it ups, then i don't think they would rip open the box to check whats inside the thermos.... what do you think? Of course just for added safety, when you send it, use fake name and address, so if indeed package gets caught in singapore side, they don't know who to call.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my molar removed, the one right at the very end of my left lower dental. And I didn't get any sleep last night due to the insane dental hammering toothache. Now, I really need to sleep. Here's the pictures which I just taken a while ago.

DSCN7528.jpg

DSCN75292.jpg

DSCN7540.jpg

DSCN7544.jpg

DSCN7545.jpg

DSCN7547.jpg

DSCN7548.jpg

DSCN7552.jpg

Snazzy pics Duncan! Hope your tooth feels better soon. In the meantime it might be an excuse to nip at the bottle a bit in the sake of pain relief! XD j/k Hehe get some sleep!

Wow Duncan! dunno that you were from S'pore too :D

So do you live in S'pore?

By the way your tank looks real clean and your corals is very healthy and colourful. I also like your scape too. :happy:

Just curious, saw your link to AROL but i dun seems to see your nick there?

May i noe which part of S'pore you stay if you are at S'pore?

Maybe we can go LFS together if gotta chance. Or also discuss our hobby together :happy:

Ben314z:

Thanks, man. I appreciated your concern! The gum bleeding finally stopped but I can't really chew on that side of my mouth yet. And... I do have a bottle of Hokkaido sake sitting next to me... *hic* lol lol

FishNemo1:

Yup, the shrimps have lived for almost 10 months (est.) in my little glass cage. I'm glad my little coral band shrimp buddy inspired your buying urge. Haha... Here's another picture of him, chilling out in the upside down bar.

DSCN7592.jpg

j'field:

Hi, fellow heartlander! Thank you for the compliments. Well, I stay in the west area of Singapore and most definitely we can discuss about reefing stuff! And who knows, we might have bumped into each other before at the lfs. :lol:

spanko:

I really can't look at the same old scape too long. My hands will start crawling into the tank before I know it. lol, I think this should be my fourth or fifth aquascape? Hmm, I have lost count of it. But the rocks are the same as before. Most of my corals were sold when I decided I wanted a nem tank. What's remaining in the tank are a couple of lps and plenty of zoas.

The two anemones are still very much alive and eat a lot. The "overfeeding + big water change" method which I employed; sad to say, isn't inducing the split. It does worked on one thing, HAIR ALGAE BLOOM! lol

Thanks for all the replies!

Hi guys, me again. Another update... I gotten some Blue Eyed Dragon from a local reefer. Fancy name eh? I don't really care about the names but just now I didn't have any idea what I'm buying. Then reefer gave me a name and told me to check out on zoaid.com 'cause he didn't have a picture with him. So, the naming thing wasn't so bad after all. lol

These zoas along with 2 more frags are toomin's. He get the lion's share and I get the tiny weeny bits after the fragging.

DSCN7857.jpg

And some more pictures...

Notice the peach fuzz on the wall in just after a day of scrapping. I must be having high nitrate now.

DSCN7852.jpg

My weird looking plate. A freebie from lfs, it was just about a tiny button size when it came and now it spans almost 4 inches in diameter. The little calcium sucka. lol

DSCN7860.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Archived