ReefCleaners.org

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

interesting way of tackling splashes. cant wait to v1.2 or v2 =P (you know its gonna happen)

Thank you, disaster999! You bet I'm coming out with a v2! The v1.1 still kicks up the splashes. :(

The end result is almost the same as the original... *sigh*

Aaack, I really missed a lot! Duncan your tank is absolutely splendid! Those fts's should be in a magazine ad! And the rest of your photos as well. I can't believe the incredible shots you get of that orange fungiid! (And it sure looks wonderful in the fts's as well.)

Wow, you've discovered the secret to "needing" more fish! How lucky is that? They look very nice in there, esp. that school of cardinals. Loved the blenny & pump acecdote, and that Hector's goby is so gorgeous!

I agree with you about liking to view the sump/refugium as well as the tank. :) And I sure love your plumbing techniques--almost makes me think I could do it. You are so inventive, tho!

That was a fascinating story about your "indicator" monti. I'll be looking forward to updates on it.

Wow, everything is just spectacular. What a super job!

--Diane

Thanks for writing so many nice things about my tanky...! If you haven't read further back, I sold my home-grown green fungia to a local reefer. He's on this board as well, his name is jem. Now I left with this orange plate and it more or less turned into my centerpiece coral since it's the brightest gem in my tank. :lol:

That little blenny is a super algae machine as well. It loves diatom as well as film algae on the glass. Sometimes, I came home to see the tank walls covered in blenny kiss marks. :lol:

Thanks again, Diane!

WOW Duncan loving the overhaul. Grea DIY skills

Thanks, hecsrt-4! My diy is nothing compared to some of the reefers on this board. But I love getting my hands dirty.

I like the other design more.

Seems to have less skimmer action but still kills the splash.

I felt so too, after using the new design. I'm thinking of reverting back to the old one. But I will rack my brains again for a better design. Mr. Fosi, if you came up with anything better, please let me know! thanks!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try 45-degree elbows instead of 90's, or just straight pipes. I've also toyed with the idea of raising them up higher to discourage the water from piling up the pipe and spilling out.

You could try 45-degree elbows instead of 90's, or just straight pipes. I've also toyed with the idea of raising them up higher to discourage the water from piling up the pipe and spilling out.

Hmm, 45-degree elbows... that might do it! I've thought of that (raising higher) as well, but I was afraid the bubble died in the pipe and dried off as skimmate. And the new water will wash over the skimmate and ended up dirtier the water in the end.

I forgot to update on a near disaster today. It was about my NEW chiller... the fan was not working, just after a month! It was like this, the chiller is set at 26 degree celcius (78.8F) and will start chilling the tank when the temperature reaches 1 degree differences (27 C, 80.6F).

As usual, I was messing with the tank and noticed the chiller temperature reach 27.1 C, but yet the compressor didn't start working. Only when it reached 27.2 C, the chiller began to run. I thought it was going to be okay, but there wasn't the end of the problem. The chiller cooled the tank to 27.1 C and stopped. Okay, something is very wrong here.

I fished out my chiller manual and it explained that the compressor will be auto-shut down when there is an overheating problem. It's their so-called safety mechanism. Since the weather is rather hot these days, I figured it might be really an overheating problem and shut off the chiller for half hour. Meanwhile, I prayed but apparently, the chiller didnt work when I restarted it.

To cut the story short... I found a chiller repair company through my local forum and the guy (the boss himself) came over immediately (on a friday night). He diagonised the chiller and told me the problem was probably due to a malfunctioning compressor cooling fan. Since the fan wasn't working, the compressor will shut down immediately once it gets too hot, thanks to the safety mechanism. He replaced the fan and the chiller is good as new. *phew*

So, I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to Chill-Down (which is the company name) for saving me and my tank. Otherwise, I'm heading for a major tank crash. My tank temperature can run up to 91F without the chiller.

I love you, Chill-Down! *thumbs up* :wub:

Bad news... I'm facing the main problem of a barebottom setup. Too sterile! It has become the super low nutrient tank that 9 nine fishes' poopy poo can't even raise nitrate past 0 ppm.

The clean room effect has caused my acro staghorn to pale off quite a bit. The purple tips are whitish, the brown flesh is thinner and no polyp extension. I searched a little on the webz and the remedy is... more fish poo. In another word, more fish and more feeding.

I added 3 more fishes, 2 longspine cardinals and 1 lubber wrasse. That brings my total finned friend tally to a holy 12! Freaking 12 fish in a 30+g setup (including sump)! :o

disaster999

didnt you say you have an oversized skimmer for your system too? wouldnt that have an affect too? i dont think adding more fish will really solve the problem

didnt you say you have an oversized skimmer for your system too? wouldnt that have an affect too? i dont think adding more fish will really solve the problem

Yup, i do have a skimmer rated for 120g on my sytem. My setup is roughly about 35ish gallon. The main idea of a bb tank is feed a lot, skim heavy so that the habitants have enough food yet a clean environment. I think I might have gone overboard with the skimmer as the recommended skimmer size to tank size ratio is about 1.5 to 2 times. But bb people also recommend wet skimming which removes nutrient a lot more. I'm currently running the skimmer very dry. My skimmate is more like mudcake pudding.

Maybe I should turned off the skimmer for 3 hours everyday?

Have you dried feeding some dirty phytoplankton like DT's?

Nope, I haven't... I do have a bottle of two little fish's zooplankton. I haven't use it on my tank for a while. Do you think it will help, considering that zooplankton particle size is bigger than phytoplankton?

I am sure the corals will like the particles but if you want nutrients, that's a direction you might want to think of.

disaster999

wow, putting a skimmer designed for 120g in a 40 gal system seems way over kill. thats 3 times the skimming power =P

i guess you could try skimming 12 hours a day. thats what im actually doing right now. im getting more skimmate than letting it run 24/7

Meercat_Maric

Nice tank Duncan! - Been following along with your thread from the start and looking back to the first post its hard to beleive all teh changes its gone through!

I am usually happy to sit in the background of these threads and read along all the while getting new ideas for my tank and potentiialy avoiding any future problems thorugh members such as your self sharing their experiences. However, on this occasion I thought I should jump in to add an idea to your over skimming. I would agree with Mr. Fosi's idea of DT's. However, I would also suggest that your turn your skimmer off while you are dosing DT's. This should provide the optiminal time for corals to consume and absorb. Then you can flick the power back on that bad boy to flush the toilet persay.

Keep up the good work! Love the simplicity of your design! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Needreefunds
+100!

And +1 more even!

I'm way behind in my tank thread reading. All I can say is WOW!

I love this tank Duncan!

I know some folks like to hide the equipment and such as much as possible but I love seeing it all and watching it work and do its thing. Outstanding work Duncan! You have a lot going on there and have put it all together quite neatly IMO.

Yes, please update soon :lol:

yeah we need updates

duncan i remember reading on here of someone with a BB set up and thier SPS were losing color.. they added sand the sps started to color up again... maybe you could add some sand in your sump area in like a jar or a small container to see if that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my idea.

Untitled.jpg

Kind of like a muffler on a car. The picture is oriented like it would be in the sump.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread needs an update!

I just came back home after graduating from college, and while walking around the LFS here in hong kong, i noticed those sleek looking curved corner tanks. while researching for reviews on the hailiea chillers, i stumble on your thread again (hows the chiller btw? im planning on getting the HC100A for my setup) and saw those small curved corner tanks in your sump. then it hit me. pretty good idea to use it as "baffles" in your tank. they are dirt cheap as well!

• 4 months later...
Singapore has a military?

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Yes of cos :happy: 2year of compulsory full time. And once a year after that of about 2weeks of training. Some refreshing course after that. :happy:

Archived