ReefCleaners.org

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. I'm working on buffing out some scratches at the moment, but when thats done I'll be sure to post some pics.

Jason how's that frag that you cut doing? The one you gave me seems to be coloring up and is starting to grow pretty well now. Seems happy under the T5s. The gorg is doing well too. :)

Jason how's that frag that you cut doing? The one you gave me seems to be coloring up and is starting to grow pretty well now. Seems happy under the T5s. The gorg is doing well too. :)

Its doing well, I've actually made 2 frags of it now that are growing out. We'll need to get together sometime soon so I can give it to you. They're actually fairly quick growers.

what type of urchin is that and do u like it? does it eat everything? like coraline algea and macro

Its ok. It kept knocking my frags off of the rocks despite the fact that they were either glued or epoxied into place, so I moved it to the sump. Its also a rock-boring urchin, so it was slowly carving out its own little cave in my rocks.

As far as a name, I have no idea, but if you look through www.wetwebmedia.com I'm sure they have it listed.

Nice tank, I was reading your discussion on the big rimless tanks like invincible's and why they don't go with external overflows. I think that it's probably because when you have such a large rimless tank you really want to minimize the weight the sides are supporting. By placing the overflow inside of the tank it adds strength instead of creating addition weight for the silicone seams to support (This is what I think at least, but if it were possible to have an external overflow I am sure they would have done it).

1000g rimless with external overflows:

DSC00951.JPG

I just figured out why all my zoanthids seemed to be withering away, I've got farking sundial snails :angry: Gah, this is the last time I put corals in my tank without dipping them first.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to take some pics but they turned out terrible. I need to clean it really well, my camera doesn't focus well if there's any obstruction on the acrylic. I think its time to break down and order a good magnet.

Vic

Loving your tank man hope my project turns out as good. I decided to do minimal rock work after seeing leaonardo's cube tank on TRT. and yours pretty much solidifies my mind that I am making the right choice.

Vic

Loving your tank man hope my project turns out as good. I decided to do minimal rock work after seeing leaonardo's cube tank on TRT. and yours pretty much solidifies my mind that I am making the right choice.

Sweet, be sure to post pics when you get it up and running!

These are the only pics that turned out from the last shoot. You can see how the sundial snails are decimating my zoanthids. I didn't bother to adjust them in PS.

DSCN5074.jpg

DSCN5095.jpg

DSCN5081.jpg

DSCN5078.jpg

DSCN5062.jpg

DSCN5056.jpg

DSCN5067.jpg

DSCN5040.jpg

DSCN5048.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
FLcracker94

wow, nice tank!

DANG!! You got sundials as a hitchhiker??? My science teacher said he wanted some, but he said their rare to be able to buy, and that they usualy cost alot....I'll take the sundials! lol jk.

So, you built the tank and stand yourself? cool...I might try that to save money next time. lol

Fishfreak218
wow, nice tank!

DANG!! You got sundials as a hitchhiker??? My science teacher said he wanted some, but he said their rare to be able to buy, and that they usualy cost alot....I'll take the sundials! lol jk.

So, you built the tank and stand yourself? cool...I might try that to save money next time. lol

ummm ~~~ sundial snails are pests... they eat zoanthids

:huh:

Thanks, but whenever I find them they end up getting baked on my driveway in 90 degree heat. Then I run over them with my car.

ReadyReefer

flcracker, i bet vicskimmer would send you all he could find for the wonderful price of $100 plus shipping. then you're teacher could have all the zoa decimating devil parasites that he/she wants :P

FLcracker94
flcracker, i bet vicskimmer would send you all he could find for the wonderful price of $100 plus shipping. then you're teacher could have all the zoa decimating devil parasites that he/she wants :P

he doesn't have zoas lol. He's got palys. What I was really saying was if he didn't have zoas, then their a cool find.

he doesn't have zoas lol. He's got palys. What I was really saying was if he didn't have zoas, then their a cool find.

I've got predominantly zoanthids FYI, but those snails don't discriminate between the 2, they're apparently both tastey. On a positive note, I found 4 more last evening. I was in a good mood so I just took a hammer to those.

Grabbed some actinic pics tonight.

Greg, that frag you wanted is ready to go I think:

DSCN5123.jpg

Whats left of the mother colony:

DSCN5125.jpg

Random other shots:

DSCN5144.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

DSCN5183.jpg

DSCN5158.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
NoValidTitle
Is that a Cherub Pygmy Angel in the bottom right of the last FTS you posted (post #160)?

WOW I'm glad I found this thread. I'm planning out my custom tank now and it's almost identical in size. This confirms I will love the size. Keep up the good reef!

FTS

Roger. I'll try to grab one tonight.

Is that a Cherub Pygmy Angel in the bottom right of the last FTS you posted (post #160)?

Si.

WOW I'm glad I found this thread. I'm planning out my custom tank now and it's almost identical in size. This confirms I will love the size. Keep up the good reef!

Cool! Keep us updated with pics!

Si.

My favorite reef fish. I've been looking at 75s lately. There's only one corner in our living room big enough for the 54 and I really want to move the TV to that corner. There's a little dividing wall that would be perfect for a 4' tank, but is horrible for the TV. This tank has been a bit of inspiration, so I thank you, but my checking account and monthly budget curse you.

My favorite reef fish. I've been looking at 75s lately. There's only one corner in our living room big enough for the 54 and I really want to move the TV to that corner. There's a little dividing wall that would be perfect for a 4' tank, but is horrible for the TV. This tank has been a bit of inspiration, so I thank you, but my checking account and monthly budget curse you.

They're great fish to have :) They add a lot of life to a reef system and are usually reef-safe.

It took my fiance and I forever to finally settle on a spot for the tank. She wanted it in the dining room. I said no way in hell am I spending this kind of money on something only to put it in a room I never go in. We settled for the living room, just not in the spot I really wanted it in. Oh well. Good luck!

Yeah, I loved my Cherub. He never nipped at any of my softies or anemones. He didn't make the move from the apartment to the house. My LFS got one in last month and I bought him but he didn't survive the QT. I'll get another one soon.

Archived