ReefCleaners.org

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good jason. Your tank always looks different on here than it does in person. Sorry to hear about you losing some of these SPS... why do you think it's happening? (other than RTN). You still thinking about upgrading the tank?

I decided to put all the money I had towards a new skimmer, so I think I'm going to hold onto this one, it would just be too much work to transfer everything over.

I think I may have handled one of the frags I lost too much when I was mounting it, but I have no idea why I lost the other one, it just RTNed overnight.

Do you have a curret FTS and what is the bulb config on yor tek light?

I don't, but I can take one soon. My bulb configuration is:

ATI Blue+

ATI AquaBlue Special

ATI Actinic

Giessemann Actinic

ATI AquaBlue Special

ATI Blue+

The color actually looks a lot different in person than it does in the pictures. I would put it on the bluer end of a 14k MH setup, but it also has some purple in it too (which is the only color that shows up in the pictures once I've adjusted them).

Hope you don;t mind if i steal your tank dimensions and try to build one that size.

Go for it! I really wish Oceanic or AGA would offer tanks with more depth, I think they'd be extremely popular.

Tell me more about the gorgonians... photosynthetic or not? I just got a yellow one that is supposed to be photosynthetic, but right now it's brown. I just got it a couple days ago so I'm hoping it's from shipping stress.

Mines purple with brown polyps. As far as I know all photosynthetic gorgonians have brown polyps. Mine used to be really healthy, but my dinos really took a toll on it, I'm hoping it can recover.

As far as care, I give it a lot of flow and thats about it. My hermits like to crawl into the middle of it to molt. My arrow crab used to sleep in it and sway to blend in, pretty cool.

Mines purple with brown polyps. As far as I know all photosynthetic gorgonians have brown polyps..

That's the truth.

Nice looking tank - makes mine look run-of-the-mill. :(

That's the truth.

Nice looking tank - makes mine look run-of-the-mill. :(

Pfft like thats possible. Mines got nothing but frags in it.

• 1 month later...

FTS:

DSCN5824.jpg

DSCN5830.jpg

DSCN5843.jpg

Closeups: Man some of these are really taking off

DSCN5857.jpg

DSCN5852.jpg

The mother colony of this green staghorn kept STNing so I fragged it up:

DSCN5820.jpg

DSCN5870.jpg

Pissed off zoanthids, but at least they're growing a mat finally!

DSCN5832.jpg

And the new sump setup:

DSCN5867.jpg

The skimmer is rated for a heavily stocked 150 gallon tank. It's directly fed from the overflow and has a recirculating meshwheel pump.

The green staghorn is oozing green! Good job! I love grow-up tank, it will look really when the frags turn into sps forest.

It's steadily encrusting on the plug, its actually growing quite a bit faster than I expected. I'm going to break up the plug here in the next couple of days and put it in some higher flow. I'm too much of a pansy to try and remove it from the plug altogether.

Edit: That staghorn is like highlighter yellow, its crazy.

The green staghorn is oozing green! Good job! I love grow-up tank, it will look really when the frags turn into sps forest.

Duncan always says things so well, I'm just gonna add "+1!"

(Well, I might add an adjective between the "really" and the "when." :) Maybe, "stupendous.")

New sump looks good Jason.

+1 again. (Of course, that means nothing coming from mechanically inept me.)

BTW, I always love the "floating in the air" fts shots!

--Diane

is that green staghorn also called Acropora florida?

Oh lord, you're going to make me figure out how to spell its name.

I think it was spelled A. abrolhensis

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys :)

The gorgonian is surviving but slowly declining. Its the only thing that continues to be effected by dinos :angry:

On the insistence of my wife, I'm going to be selling this tank and replacing it with one the same size that is oriented against the wall. It sucks, but it's probably the best thing to do, there just isn't enough room to be able to clean all 3 sides of the tank and still allow for much SPS growth on the edges of the rocks. At least now I can go with a glass tank :) I just don't have the time to properly care for an acrylic tank.

Archived