Pod Your Reef

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good jason. By the way, that guy sold that tank so I'm back to looking. :(

Aw crap, that sucks.

Oooh--perfect coral portraits, stranger! :D

Guess you defeated the dino, eh?

I love progress shots like these.

--Diane

Thanks :) And no, the dino is still there. Actually its getting worse, but I'm still trying different methods.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a handle on them now. I basically did a 50% water change, then turned the lights off for 3 days along with raising the pH to about 8.4 while the lights were off. It has come back a little but its not near as strong as it was. I was going to go for more than 3 days but I also just got a ton of new SPS frags and I didn't feel like they would last that long. Pics coming soon, but my digital camera crapped out and I have to use my wife's for the time being.

Oddly enough, the corals looked better than ever after the 3 days of darkness. Very strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the dinos came back with a vengeance, so I decided to take it to extreme measures and go a week without light. My corals are now slightly browned out, but damn if it didn't work like a charm, there's no sign of algae in that tank any where. I also replaced my non-functioning Euro-Reef skimmer with something much more capable. This required me to set up an entire new sump system. Pics to come soon :)

Oddly enough, the corals looked better than ever after the 3 days of darkness. Very strange.

few days of no-light is good for reef :)

The more I hear that, the more I believe it. Sure seems counterintuitive, tho!

Looking forward to your new pics, Jason. Hope you get the photobucket thing straightened out...

--Diane

What happened to the Euro Reef? I thought they had a good rep? I was considering them for an upgrade somewhere down the road.

They are good, mine was just old and too small for my tank. The Sedra pump it came with completely crapped out. I could have just replaced the pump, but I needed to upgrade anyway.

Edit: Testing...

Dangit, I deleted a crapload of pictures from my account, I'm not sure how I'm all of a sudden exceeding the bandwidth?

have you tried dosing carbon and letting the bacteria outcompete the dinos? worked great for me (using zeovit system)!

I have some carbon, but I didn't have anywhere to put it in my sump. If it ever comes back though I'll be trying it out since I have a lot more room now.

Ooooh looks like my photobucket account works again :D

Uhuru, were you referring to dosing a carbon source or just running carbon in the system? I thought it might be the former.

Hey guys I mean dosing carbon as in vodka or sugar to feed bacteria which will outcompete the dinos. Lmk if u want to know more but it WILL eliminate dinos.

Hey guys I mean dosing carbon as in vodka or sugar to feed bacteria which will outcompete the dinos. Lmk if u want to know more but it WILL eliminate dinos.

Ooooh, yeah I never tried that. If it ever comes back I'll give it a shot.

Ooooh, yeah I never tried that. If it ever comes back I'll give it a shot.

Best time to start would be during a prolonged lights out period that way you give the bacteria a good head start!

Hey Vic do you have any experience with African flameback angels? I know you made a list before in order of safest to riskiest but I can't find it. Where do these guys fit on that list?

Hey Vic do you have any experience with African flameback angels? I know you made a list before in order of safest to riskiest but I can't find it. Where do these guys fit on that list?

I've never tried one :( If I could find one I would. That list I made was just a complete guess based on my experience and what I've read of others' experiences, but I've read that they're nearly identical to a Cherub Angel. Actually I've only seen one or two cases where they nipped.

Yeah definitely keep us updated with that!

Some new additions. They've all more of less browned out, but oh well.

Purple Monster:

DSCN5773.jpg

Purple rimmed, purple polyped Monti cap:

DSCN5775.jpg

Red Table Acro:

DSCN5763.jpg

Superman Monti - Since the coral is so blue and I didn't bother to set the white balance through my camera, the color got all messed up when I adjusted it in PS.

DSCN5768.jpg

Pink A. millepora w/ blue tips:

DSCN5755.jpg

Blue polyped Styllopora:

DSCN5777.jpg

I had more but I lost 2 to RTN and 1 in an incident that involved a lot of kalkwasser getting dumped into the tank accidentally :( On the plus side, all my dinos are gone! :)

how much did the PM cost you? Mine was $125 and it was tiny too! It's growing surprisingly fast, though I heard they are very slow. I can't get that dark purple color on it. I don't know if it's because my tank is too low nutrient or its normal for the frags to be lighter than colonies. Keep us updated on how yours colors up.

My angel is nipping at everything. I don't have a CUC because I wanted to let algae grow for the angel. It's not that he intentionally goes after SPS, he nips at the rocks but if the SPS are on the area he is nipping at, he gets really close to them and it causes the polyps to retract. Until I start to see actual damage though I will let things be. The good news is he started eating while he was in the acclimation bag, and readily accepts flake foods.

Mine does the same, but I've never seen him actually nip at the corals.

The PM was actually free, believe it or not. I traded a nice sized frag of that green with blue polyped monti of mine + $100 and got all of the corals I listed above plus a frag of ORA Blue Tort, a nice frag of A. exquisita (sp?), and some really cool green tabling acro, all 3 of which I lost within a week :(

He was extremely generous.

Looks good jason. Your tank always looks different on here than it does in person. Sorry to hear about you losing some of these SPS... why do you think it's happening? (other than RTN). You still thinking about upgrading the tank?

Archived