Pod Your Reef

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

Well, I think its finally time for me to get out of the Lounge and back into the rest of the forum! I've decided to start on a new project.

EDIT: Since this thread has gotten pretty long I'm going to update the first post to include some progress shots over the last year and a half.

Dimensions

36" x 24" x 20" acrylic tank with an external overflow

Goal

I'm planning on setting this up so it will be viewable from 3 sides. The rock structure will be set up as a shallow reef system, so the rockwork will be low so the corals have lots of room for growth. It will be primarily dominated by SPS.

Lighting

A 36" Tek T5 fixture with 6 bulbs, I haven't decided on the bulb combination just yet.

Filtration

Approximately 60 lbs of live rock and a Grey Seas Aquatic Shorty 45 (rated for a heavily stocked 135 gallon tank). I've also added an 8 watt UV sterilizer.

Water Flow

As of now, 2 Tunze Nanostream 6045s. I'll eventually add 2 modded maxijet 1200's on a wavemaker.

DSCN4144.jpg

DSCN4339.jpg

DSCN4586.jpg

DSCN5013.jpg

DSCN5242.jpg

DSCN5830.jpg

Sump:

DSCN5867.jpg

Jason

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was going to stockpile glass for a 36 24 18. The LFS by my house has a 36 24 24 as their main display. It's pretty nice but the extra height is super wasted in my opinion. The bottom half of the tank doesn't really have jack to it.

But that's an lfs. You'd probably have less species and let your corals grow out more.

i was going to stockpile glass for a 36 24 18. The LFS by my house has a 36 24 24 as their main display. It's pretty nice but the extra height is super wasted in my opinion. The bottom half of the tank doesn't really have jack to it.

But that's an lfs. You'd probably have less species and let your corals grow out more.

Thats funny you mentioned that, I'm actually seriously considering moving it down to 36x24x20. I think you're right, the corals would never grow high enough to need that space, and if they did, it wouldn't look right.

The tank is under construction! It ended up as a 36" x 24" x 20" with an external overflow. I also ordered my Tek fixture, the mounting legs for it, and 6 bulbs. Hopefully I can get started on the stand in the next 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

90% SPS, with some zoanthid islands.

It'll have some interesting fish in it as well :D

I'm picking the tank up tomorrow and starting on the stand on Saturday, so there will be pics shortly.

Update! 12.26.06

Christmas came early! This is what I picked up last Friday...

DSCN3988.jpg

DSCN3989.jpg

Overflow:

DSCN3992.jpg

We built the frame for the stand on Saturday, it fits like a glove :)

Then Christmas morning brought some more reef goodies :D

DSCN4006.jpg

This thing is a monster. Keep in mind this tank is 24" wide... <insert manly grunt here>

DSCN4020.jpg

Lights on!

DSCN4015.jpg

Here's the bulb selection I chose:

Giessmann 39w Aquablue +

ATI 39wActinic +

GE 39w 6,000k

ATI 39w Mid-day (11,000k)

Giessmann Pure Actinic

Giessmann 39w Aquablu +

Lit with just the Aquablue +'s...

DSCN4031.jpg

And now with the entire lineup...

DSCN4032.jpg

You can't tell a huge difference from the pics, but the tank gets significantly brighter... although I may end up switching the Aquablue +'s and the Actinics around to give it a better dawn/dusk effect.

Oh, and I got some live rock that I had given to my brother back!

DSCN4011.jpg

This Sunday morning we're finishing the construction on the stand, then its time to fill 'er up!

I asked for black but ended up with blue. I may ask the local acrylic shop around here to make me a black piece to fit in front of the blue.

Thanks guys, its the perfect size tank for me. :D

Here's the somewhat final stock list is:

Thornback Cowfish

Cherub Angel

A pair of clownfish

3-4 smaller fish (probably gobies and blennies)

And further down the road either a Dragonfaced Pipefish or a Mandarin.

If any of the fish decide to nip at corals, they'll be snatched up and replaced (with some leniency given to the cowfish :))

And no, I didn't get a discount. I didn't ask for one though because he already gave me a great deal on the tank and he built it in less than 2 weeks. I don't want to take a chance of coming across as a dick (like I usually do in these situations) because I want to be able to retain a good relationship with him. Besides, once it's all filled with water and some corals, I doubt I'll notice it that much, even though I generally despise blue backgrounds.

I'm finishing the stand this weekend (hopefully), then I've got my 2 bulkheads and 2 Nanostream 6045's due by the middle of January. I'll probably at least start filling the tank and aquascaping before those come in though, I'm itching to get my hands dirty.

The tank has found its final resting place.

DSCN4106.jpg

Don't mind the rest of the house... I've still got a good bit of work to do on it as well.

DSCN4113.jpg

I also finished off the plumbing today, at least until I re-do the sump area.

Durso Standpipes

DSCN4105.jpg

Sump:

DSCN4114.jpg

Hopefully, provided I can get my RO/DI filter to cooperate, I can start filling her up tomorrow!

DSCN4108.jpg

echo-bravo 4-19

wow your stand also looks great im getting a stand built and id like it to look like yours if it comes out half as nice ill be satisfied (speling). (lol did u run out of paint ? :/)

That wouldn't be Steve Irwin on your TV in the 2nd pic, would it? ;)

It's funny how people look at everything in the pictures posted except what they're supposed to, isn't it?

This looks like it will be real nice, I can't wait to see it all set up & running!

Archived