These need no introduction:

DSCN4246.jpg

DSCN4257.jpg

These are known as "Zombie Eyes"

DSCN4299.jpg

DSCN4266.jpg

Blue Eyed Girls

DSCN4241.jpg

I knew you'd have SPS, I would love an SPS tank, but we have no more plug places for a Co2 reactor on MH lighting :(

otherwise, plating montipora all the way! :D

I knew you'd have SPS, I would love an SPS tank, but we have no more plug places for a Co2 reactor on MH lighting :(

otherwise, plating montipora all the way! :D

Naturally :)

Starting with montipora is a good way to get into SPS though, there's lots of shapes and flavors, and they're much hardier than most Acropora.

Thanks! There's one fish in there already, a Canary Blenny, but I don't want to add anymore until I feel the hair algae is firmly under control. Its getting there, but I'm going to take a proactive approach during a water change tonight to see if that helps.

Is the Canary Blenny taking care of the hair algae?? I was thinking of getting one for my 50 gal to take care of some hair algae I have growing but the employee at my LFS said that a lawnmower blenny is better..

Well, surprisingly it is eating the hair algae (I thought fang blennies were carnivorous?), but it isn't near enough to have an effect. The hermit crabs and queen conchs are the primary hair algae eaters in the tank, and they're doing a heck of a job, its just a slow process since I have so much of it.

Its definitely an entertaining fish though, its very curious about things.

So, I got a couple of new bulbs in tonight. I wasn't happy with the overall color of the tank before, so I ordered 2 ATI Blue+ bulbs to make it look closer to 20k (looks about 14k actually).

Before:

DSCN4335.jpg

After:

DSCN4373.jpg

Also, for anyone doubting whether T5's are as bright as metal halides....

A week ago:

DSCN4246.jpg

DSCN4177.jpg

Tonight:

DSCN4363-1.jpg

DSCN4369.jpg

These came from a 75 gallon system with 2 x 250 watt 20k. They're slightly bleached.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure thing, but it'll be a while.

Took a few new pics. I know they're grainy, but its the best I could come up with tonight.

I finally got a shot of one of the new guys (there's multiple new additions to the tank)

DSCN4458.jpg

Another new face

DSCN4467.jpg

Here's a frag of the photosynthetic gorgonian that I snagged in case the mother goes downhill.

DSCN4474.jpg

And a pic of the big colony

DSCN4477.jpg

A hermit crab who's obviously compensating for something

DSCN4493.jpg

And last but not least, a pic of the first fish I got

DSCN4501.jpg

The white balance is terrible, but ever since I added the new blue + bulbs, my camera's white balance has been freaking out and I've been trying to fix it. I over compensated a bit this time.

They're usually labeled as Purple Gorgonians. When its polyps are retracted, its a brilliant purple color, which is probably what it would look like in an LFS. Its mostly photosynthetic, but thats about all I know about it.

The last one I had grew like mad. This one is just starting to grow. I haven't seen it start to encrust around the base yet, but its definitely happy.

Love the scape man, beautiful.

One concern though, the Arrow Crab. When they are full grown, they will prey on sleeping fish and eat them. They use there long legs as a trapping device to cage in the fish so they have no escape.

I'm keeping a careful eye on him. The fiance wanted him, and I gave in. He's extremely small though, so hopefully it'll be a while before he could catch any fish :)

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Very, very nice! You definately have a good taste. IF the gorgonian goes downhill, try the Fauna-Marin Gorgonia products. We have very good results with it here in Europe. But no need for that now, it looks really nice and healthy ;)

Leonardo

They're not actually that blue, my camera just can't handle the change. In reality, it looks somewhere in between the before and after pic.

2 significant additions this weekend. Basically, I can now finally say I'm satisfied with the fish/invertebrates in the tank. From here on out I really don't care what we add.

Y HALO THAR.

DSCN4577.jpg

DSCN4558.jpg

My fiance picked this one out. She has GREAT taste in starfish.

DSCN4570.jpg

DSCN4564.jpg

The tank is running great. The hair algae has been gone for about 3 weeks now and everything is looking good. My gorgonian frags are encrusting over the rubble I mounted them in and all my zoanthids are multiplying like crazy.

The cowfish has ich but is eating. I fully expected it to get ich, so I'm prepared for it. He's also completely adapted to the flow and bright lights, in about 3 days! Thats a lot less time than I thought it would take.

Oh, and its not Travis, its Jason :)

Archived