inTank Media Baskets

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

very nice tank, cant wait to see it stocked!

and no i think thats that guy that has hosted all of the shark week shows the past couple years, the guy with gray hair that hosted the 10 deadliest sharks show

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow your stand also looks great im getting a stand built and id like it to look like yours if it comes out half as nice ill be satisfied (speling). (lol did u run out of paint ? :/)

Thanks! The stand is actually very simple. Its just a 2x4 frame, skinned with 3/4" plywood (we cut the doors out of the plywood too), with a bit of trim along the top and the bottom (with some other trim on the doors). The plan is to find some type of magnetic system to hold the doors in place so I won't even have to worry about hinges.

And no, I didn't run out of paint :P I just figured nobody would ever see up there once the doors are on.

very nice tank, cant wait to see it stocked!

and no i think thats that guy that has hosted all of the shark week shows the past couple years, the guy with gray hair that hosted the 10 deadliest sharks show

Bingo, and I even think that was the show that was on too, lol.

We started filling the tank yesterday. I've got the sand washed and in the tank with all my base rock in place, but I think for water I'm going to have to find another source other than my RO/DI, its slow as molasses and would literally take weeks to fill the tank that way.

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the entire system running. Then the fun really begins :D

are you going to get a bigger sump or some sorta add on? And where's the black inset for the tank?

Yeah, but first I need to figure out exactly how big I can go and how I want to work a refugium into it. Real estate in that stand is at a premium, I have to fit a topoff system, a kalk stirrer and a calcium reactor under there eventually.

As far as the black inset, I think I'm just going to stick with the blue. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it in time.

Forget magnetic strips, they don't last for long. Velcro would be your best bet.

Thats a good idea. Velcro would be a lot cheaper and easier to do anyway. Thanks!

looks great Jason. I am in the process of planning a tank with similar dimensions that I am trying to start near the end of the year. So far, the dimensions I am thinking of 40" x 28" x 22". Who built your tank?

I like the 3 side viewable like that. Instead of putting nanostreams in there, have you thought about putting one vortech at the end and getting the controller whenever it happens to come out? Granted it would be fairly expensive, but once they get the controller out, it sound like a cool option.

You know, I've seen the video of the Vortech in action, and it truly was impressive, but I just wasn't sure I wanted to go that route with this tank. I think if anything, I may eventually replace the 6045's with 6055's and add a controller to them in the future.

Who knows though, if the Vortech's really do turn out to be as solid as they appear, I may eventually end up with one.

As far as the person who built my tank, his name if Jeff Haddock. If you're around the Mid-Atlantic area (or if you don't mind having a tank shipped), I would highly recommend him, his work is top notch. If you'd like to talk to him, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

A 40x28x22 would be a hell of a tank, thats for sure.

echo-bravo 4-19

Nice viv. im starting one in my ten g not sure wt im going to start with though i was wondering about the mist kings misting systems i think im getting one how do u like it ? sry for posting this here but i couldent help it ( i just joined dendroboard last night im Guntrix )

They are well worth their weight in gold. Mine leak for a bit after they finish misting, but I attribute that to my complete stupidity when setting them up, not for their design.

As far as buying a system to use on a 10 gallon... eh, it might be worth it, it might not. But, having everything automated is definitely the way to go. I don't do anything to the tank except feed the frogs and occasionally wipe down the sides.

echo-bravo 4-19

i know its a bit over kil for a ten g but if it goes welll id like to in the future get a bigger set up and y not lol oh btw were in virginia re u im in va too alexandria to be exact

Thanks! I'm a big fan of acrylic vivariums, they give it a nice frameless look that glass tanks just can't match. WishIWereanExpert has a really nice acrylic 120 that he just built on the site too. Its my 3 favorite that I've seen :)

It falls in right behind Dan Conner's 240:

http://www.vivariaforums.com/forums/showth...t=64&page=4

And Marty's from Mist King which for some reason has had all the pics removed :(

Ok, so the tank has been up and running for about a week, and there hasn't been any noticeable cycle. I've already hit the diatom and hair algae bloom stage it seems, so now I'll have to scramble to get to D.C. this weekend to get a cleanup crew. I also added my first fish yesterday, a Canary Blenny.

On to the aquascaping pics:

From the left

DSCN4144.jpg

From the right

DSCN4152.jpg

From the front

DSCN4145.jpg

Angled shots to help show how it truly looks

DSCN4150.jpg

DSCN4149.jpg

I'm terrible at getting depth to show up in my photographs, so these can't come close to doing it justice, but I think its a pretty good foundation to start with as far as SPS is concerned.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, and will do. I'm going on my first frag hunt this weekend, and the guy's house that I'm visiting has some very, very exotic zoanthids :D Expect some pics by next week, hopefully.

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Vic, I really like your tank. Nice dimentions, sleek design (stand+tank) and an awesome rockwork (less is more ;) )

Make sure to place some staghorns in the middle, I think it will look great!

Leonardo

Vic, I really like your tank. Nice dimentions, sleek design (stand+tank) and an awesome rockwork (less is more ;) )

Make sure to place some staghorns in the middle, I think it will look great!

Leonardo

Thanks! I'm definitely going to have a few stags in there, and if I can get them to grow half as big as you've gotten yours then I'll be extremely pleased with the tank. I also want to have some tabling acros to round it out, but I'm definitely not going to overload the tank with different kinds of corals. I like the grown out look.

How's your tang doing? Would you recommend one for a 36" long 75 gallon tank? I love how they look, but I'm just not sure I want to try a tang in there.

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>
Thanks! I'm definitely going to have a few stags in there, and if I can get them to grow half as big as you've gotten yours then I'll be extremely pleased with the tank. I also want to have some tabling acros to round it out, but I'm definitely not going to overload the tank with different kinds of corals. I like the grown out look.

How's your tang doing? Would you recommend one for a 36" long 75 gallon tank? I love how they look, but I'm just not sure I want to try a tang in there.

Hey Vic,

maybe you can place A. Formosa, A. Tortuosa, A. Yongei and other staghorns in the middle (different colours), and A. Millepora-tables around it.

Both corals are relativly fast growing, so if you want to have a grown out colony look, you don't have to stare to an empty tank for some years ;)

Zoanthids etc. can bring some diversity to the SPS.

About the tangs. I had to remove one. After a month they became more and more agressive toward eachother.

I would not recccoment a Acanthurus for your tank, maybe a Zebrasoma. But try to find a small one. Within a few years the tank will become to small I'm afraid... (just like my tank will be for the Acanthurus)

I would focus on smaller fish. Your tank will look bigger with smaller fish, and the fish will behave more natural. It will be more pleasing to look at I think.

If I were you, I would try to get some Apogon Parvulus. I don't know if they are available in the US, but they are very nice, schooling fish.

But of course, it's your tank and you have to decide! I know for sure it will be nice! :)

Leonardo

Yay for hair algae:

DSCN4157.jpg

DSCN4161.jpg

DSCN4165.jpg

Now, normally I wouldn't post something like that because its embarrassing, but since it seems like a lot of people have a hard time finding critters that eat it, I figured I would lend a helping hand.

Lettuce Nudibranch munching away:

DSCN4167.jpg

Clibonarius hermit (red legged, cortez red legged, mexican red legged, it goes by lots of common names)

DSCN4221.jpg

I also have 2 queen conchs that are doing an amazing job cleaning up, but none of the pics of them turned out.

Today's trip to D.C. was more successful than I could have ever hoped for. I went in intending to buy 5 frags, and when I came home I ended up with 11... for $100.

Pink Zoas

DSCN4175.jpg

Candi-Apple Pinks

DSCN4177.jpg

Lunar Eclipse (Holy ###### these are cool)

You can also see the Armor of God's I got, but they hadn't opened as of this pic

DSCN4198.jpg

The rest haven't finished opening up yet, but when they do, pics will follow.

Archived