Coral Vue Hydros

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

Will your bleached colors regain there colors? or is that how corals adjust to brighter lights

God I hope so. Normally they should, but it might be a completely different color than they were to begin with (lets hope not though).

Corals only bleach if they aren't acclimated slowly enough to brighter lights. Once I saw them bleach I moved all my zoanthids under a ledge to acclimate them the right way. I just had no idea these lights were that bright.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your tank is stunning!

I love cowfish, I may wind up building a tank around one someday.

Thanks! And you definitely should, they're 100% worth the effort, easily my favorite fish.

I took some new pics tonight. Nothing has been added as far as corals are concerned, but I did manage to get a couple of some that hadn't opened fully before.

DSCN4647.jpg

DSCN4586.jpg

Mean Greens

DSCN4629.jpg

Zombie Eyes, these are growing well despite bleaching:

DSCN4616.jpg

AOG, still trying to recover from the bleach

DSCN4611.jpg

And my Lunar Eclipses, these have finally opened up fully and they've produced 2 new polyps, but they're somewhat bleached as well :angry:

DSCN4605.jpg

Thanks for looking!

i love this tank...

it is one of the most "natural" looking tanks in terms of aquascaping that i think i have ever seen.

i love the light use of rock!

Don't worry about your arrow crab. As long as it gets enough food, it should be cool. If not, get a coral banded shrimp. My shrimp pulled most of the legs off of my arrow crab. I put the crab in a peaceful tank in hopes that he'll grow his legs back!

Don't cowfish get way to big for a 75?

Usually, there's one kind that supposedly doesn't grow past 6", which is the kind I requested, but not what they got in. Unfortunately, I lost the cowfish last night anyway. He had gotten ich, which was expected, and since he seemed to be getting worse I decided to quarantine him in hypo-salinity. I figured since the powerhead I was using was only 120 gph he could handle it, but I woke up to find him stuck to the intake :(

Whats amazing is that he liked to pick algae off of my nano streams 6045s which were pumping out 1,200 gph and he never got stuck on them.

So I'm back on the search for another cowfish (or maybe a boxfish if I can find the right species), but first I need to rid the tank of ich.

First off, love the tank Vic. It's going to look amazing once you get some sps in there and they grow out a little.

Sucks about the cowfish though. How's the tang doing in the 'ichy' environment?

Its the one that brought it in, but its fine now. It shrugged it off in under a day.

I wasn't going to buy the tang because I know how big he gets, but my fiance wanted him, and since he would technically work for a couple of years, I yielded. Besides, that'll give me a good excuse to upgrade in a few years :D

i sure hope thats a big upgrade lol, sailfins get HUGE, dude i love the corals and the lights, im getting rid of my halides soon to upgrade to the constellation from Aquatinics, something like 545W of light is what it puts out, i really really love the tank though everything looks great and will look even better when everything starts growing out

Great tank! I hope to have something like this someday. Where did you get the fixture? I saw that you changes the lights around. What bulbs do you have now?

Thanks!

The fixture I got from Reef Geek.

The bulb combination I'm running now is:

Actinic

Blue+

Aquablue+

Aquablue+

Blue+

Actinic

I'm not sure which actinic bulbs I have, but I know one is a Giesemann and the other is an ATI. In person it looks about like a 14k MH would. The corals seem to like it better.

I know, and that was such a stupid mistake on my part. I looked but couldn't find anything to block off the intake of the powerhead, but its still unacceptable. It took me forever to find one too.

Archived