Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vic's 75 gallon Acrylic Reef - New pics: 4.1.08

Withers

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason's tank looks much nicer in person, the pics don't do it justice. That frag with the green rings that you cut for me looks exactly like yours does. Wonder when it will start to color up.

Thanks guys :) Its really starting to turn out well! I think I'm going to like these lights, even without the shimmer.

Jason's tank looks much nicer in person, the pics don't do it justice. That frag with the green rings that you cut for me looks exactly like yours does. Wonder when it will start to color up.

Glad to see its doing well :) Next time you're over we'll have to split that encrusting monti. If I knew it was going to turn out to be bright green with blue polyps I would've fragged it right when we got it, I just figured it would be brown for the rest of its life.

Thanks guys :) Its really starting to turn out well! I think I'm going to like these lights, even without the shimmer.

Glad to see its doing well :) Next time you're over we'll have to split that encrusting monti. If I knew it was going to turn out to be bright green with blue polyps I would've fragged it right when we got it, I just figured it would be brown for the rest of its life.

Ok sounds good. I'm redoing my tank starting this week but let me know if you want to buy any more frags from rm or anywhere else. I have some extra money this month from all the overtime here at work. :angry::D

how do you plan to clean coralline off of acrylic? does a rubber scraper work? I love the way your tank looks, it's actually got me thinking of getting a custom acrylic.

how do you plan to clean coralline off of acrylic? does a rubber scraper work? I love the way your tank looks, it's actually got me thinking of getting a custom acrylic.

Old credit cards work fine on acrylic.

Old credit cards work fine on acrylic.

Yeah, or those Kent Pro scrapers with a plastic insert. Although mine apparently has a notch in it thats been scratching the acrylic. Its small enough that I can't see it or feel it, but it still manages to scratch it (you can only see the scratches if you aren't looking at it from head on).

So far though, no coraline algae has touched the acrylic. Its growing like mad everywhere else, but not on the actual tank for some reason.

How about some zoanthids this time? :)

These are recovering nicely from being bleached. I actually like this new color better than the original.

DSCN4996.jpg

These have exploded in growth in the last few days. I've counted 6 new budding polyps on it.

DSCN4988.jpg

Green Bay Packers

DSCN4951.jpg

AoG: Next Gen - Still taking a while to recover from the bleach.

DSCN4964.jpg

Zombie Eyes

DSCN4954.jpg

Mean Greens: My favorite zoanthids (and the slowest growing :()

DSCN4948.jpg

And a couple of inverts that are in the tank:

DSCN4968.jpg

DSCN4987.jpg

I've got 2 more goodies acclimating as we speak :D

• 2 weeks later...
Juanhunglo69

Your sump is basically a 10 gallon tank with two overflows going down into it with a skimmer in the middle and a return pump right? Obviously whatever you have is working out for you. I have a bunch of options right now and am not sure which way to go. I have a 125, 52, 40, and a 29 all sitting empty. Well the 52 is in Pieces it will be a custom build from me. If I do the 52 I will have to do like you did because my long pieces of glass are tempered. Unless you can drill tempered. I think that I am going to try it. Not to hijack but I was having a brainstorm.

Your sump is basically a 10 gallon tank with two overflows going down into it with a skimmer in the middle and a return pump right? Obviously whatever you have is working out for you. I have a bunch of options right now and am not sure which way to go. I have a 125, 52, 40, and a 29 all sitting empty. Well the 52 is in Pieces it will be a custom build from me. If I do the 52 I will have to do like you did because my long pieces of glass are tempered. Unless you can drill tempered. I think that I am going to try it. Not to hijack but I was having a brainstorm.

Actually my sump consists of 2 10 gallon tanks plumbed together with a 1" bulkhead. Heres the only pic I have of it:

DSCN4641.jpg

For the record, I would NOT recommend attempting that though. It took me 3 tries before I fit it together without cracking either tank. The only reason I did it was because of a space constraint and in a couple of months I will be moving the sump to my basement.

^^nice work, I thought about doing that since I can't find anything that will work with a cube's dimensions besides a rubbermaid tub - but then I realized I would never be able to fit them together like that. I'm going to use a 37gallon high sump and have it overflow into a 20 gallon long fuge that's sitting right next to it, since the only difference between the 2 tanks is one a lot taller.

I ended up using rubber gaskets to relieve the tension between the tanks. I also applied a liberal amount of silicone for good measure since it would a disaster if it ever sprung a leak. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

Jason what skimmer are you running? Also, did that frag ever color up for you? Mine still looks the same for the most part.

Jason what skimmer are you running? Also, did that frag ever color up for you? Mine still looks the same for the most part.

It still looks the same so far. The skimmer is a EuroReef CS6-1.

• 2 weeks later...

Aw that means I have to clean it, lol. I haven't added anything since the last pics, but I'll be happy to take some more.

• 2 weeks later...
bucknellreefer

Nice tank, I was reading your discussion on the big rimless tanks like invincible's and why they don't go with external overflows. I think that it's probably because when you have such a large rimless tank you really want to minimize the weight the sides are supporting. By placing the overflow inside of the tank it adds strength instead of creating addition weight for the silicone seams to support (This is what I think at least, but if it were possible to have an external overflow I am sure they would have done it).

Archived