Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

You have the best collection of flower anemones around. I see you upgraded but the tank you had your flower anemones in served as inspiration for my 10 gallon flower anemone tank :D I love the anemone that looks like it was splattered with green acid. AMAZING!

Oh wow, thank you. Didn't know I could inspire. OH, when they were in the 34g probably, they were splattered all over the sand and some rocks in front. Ran out of room! I do wish there was more light green on that hunter green acidy one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know I could inspire.

You definitely do!

Your flower garden is why I really really want to get my second tank started! RFA/gorg/ric garden!

You definitely do!

Your flower garden is why I really really want to get my second tank started! RFA/gorg/ric garden!

Geez thanks. I'm honored but it wasn't by my hands these beautiful RFAs are made!

NorthGaHillbilly

Oh wow, thank you. Didn't know I could inspire. OH, when they were in the 34g probably, they were splattered all over the sand and some rocks in front. Ran out of room! I do wish there was more light green on that hunter green acidy one.

might be a unconventional idea for us here in the US, but I remember reading that maNY reefers in Japan use individal light to highlight single corals. I bet you could make a one or two led light to spotlight over it to make it POP

I really enjoy checking in on this tank, awesome to see species specific tank!

Geez thanks. I'm honored but it wasn't by my hands these beautiful RFAs are made!

But you have exquisite taste in picking out the pretty ones and arranging them :).

Hate to break it to you, Gena... she may have the best taste and luck with finding the nicest looking rock flower anemones, but I'm rapidly finding they can and will arrange themselves.

Over and over and over... ;)

Hate to break it to you, Gena... she may have the best taste and luck with finding the nicest looking rock flower anemones, but I'm rapidly finding they can and will arrange themselves.

Over and over and over... ;)

You're absolutely right :). They have a mind of their own!

I love that they move around some and aren't totally stationary. Can sit there for mos and then go "Meh, I'm moving"! and find them on the opposite side of a rock and in that process make the others fidget too.

I love that they move around some and aren't totally stationary. Can sit there for mos and then go "Meh, I'm moving"! and find them on the opposite side of a rock and in that process make the others fidget too.

I wouldn't mind in a big tank, but in my little 8g it isn't pleasant for me when they decide to move and park on top of something they shouldn't be on :lol:.

The two in my tank have decided to go hiding for the past few weeks. At least I can get them a little bit of food though.

Wish they would come back out... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Adding 15l bs of crushed coral as a top soil so to say for the flowers. Once it clears up I'll take some pics. I'm assuming, hoping that the babies the next go around have more to latch onto. Of the 20 I had, sadly there is one left. I pipette fed some rotifers last night so hopefully that food will have helped it. I need to put out some shrimp for another feeding tonight for the regular sized ones.

001_zps41e450ce.jpg

Videos. OH, I thought I lost my remaining baby. It moved and I fed it and it took some mysis so I'm feeling good about that ONE baby rock flower. It's a start.

Short blip.

Longer.

Curlique anemone that stung one rock flower, it since retreated and is healing.

Nice videos! I have a curlyque anemone also. It came paired with a pistol shrimp but the nem outlived the shrimp. Your RFA are so beautiful.

Nice videos! I have a curlyque anemone also. It came paired with a pistol shrimp but the nem outlived the shrimp. Your RFA are so beautiful.

ty, it has grown quickly. It orig came from my 34. I had 2 but at the time of being so small I thought it was an aptasia so I killed it. One came back so I decided to research it a little more on NR and someone had one and it was exactly the same so I removed the rock and moved it here. If it does sting any others (he's alone on this rock w/ the exception of the one) then I'll banish it to the 34g fuge that has some light and macro and call it done.

Thanks for the compliments. One baby of the orig 20 has survived. I thought it died but it had moved to a different rock OR it did die and what I'm seeing is one that must've hidden under the skirt of the white one. It did take some mysis so I'm getting confident that this ONE can make it. Hopefully pics later on that one. It's red w/ white whiskers so far.

ty, it has grown quickly. It orig came from my 34. I had 2 but at the time of being so small I thought it was an aptasia so I killed it. One came back so I decided to research it a little more on NR and someone had one and it was exactly the same so I removed the rock and moved it here. If it does sting any others (he's alone on this rock w/ the exception of the one) then I'll banish it to the 34g fuge that has some light and macro and call it done.

Thanks for the compliments. One baby of the orig 20 has survived. I thought it died but it had moved to a different rock OR it did die and what I'm seeing is one that must've hidden under the skirt of the white one. It did take some mysis so I'm getting confident that this ONE can make it. Hopefully pics later on that one. It's red w/ white whiskers so far.

My curlyque has gotten pretty big but it still isn't a problem. But then its in a 36 tank too. They are related to aiptasia so I can see how you thought it was one. Mine came paired with the shrimp so I figured it was ok.

Yes I read you still have one baby. Good luck with it.

That's so awesome that the rock flowers started spawning for you! How many times has it happened now? Hopefully it keeps happening so you can figure out the best way to raise the babies. That would be so exciting!

That's so awesome that the rock flowers started spawning for you! How many times has it happened now? Hopefully it keeps happening so you can figure out the best way to raise the babies. That would be so exciting!

3 spawnings that I've seen since Sept so the spawning is happening regularly. I think w/ the addition of the crushed coral I'll have better luck. The rough part is that the tank is in the basement so I don't have the convenience of sitting in my LR chair and just looking at my tank like I do the others.

3 spawnings that I've seen since Sept so the spawning is happening regularly. I think w/ the addition of the crushed coral I'll have better luck. The rough part is that the tank is in the basement so I don't have the convenience of sitting in my LR chair and just looking at my tank like I do the others.

That's great! Yeah, I bet the crushed coral will help with the babies. You just need to hang out in your basement more :) Put a nice comfy chair right in front of the tank!

Well, I think I'm going to look for some more rock flowers. I have lots of space and it takes long to grow babies. Don't know if they'll have any but there's a small saltwater show 1 hr 15 mins away tomorrow and I'm car pooling with friends. If I see 2-3 I like I'll probably buy since there won't be shipping costs but they'll have to be something unique. Looking for solid yellow, solid light green or solid light orange- don't care what color fringe. When the babies were born, red or red/orange was the predominant color so I don't need anymore of that hue in my tank. I have that covered. I'll even take a white again. God knows I'm waiting for the ocean to make a royal blue on sky blue or purple on lavender!!!! I figure if there are blue sps and blueberry gorgs, etc then there's hope.

20150128_193400_zpsg7nupmbo.jpg

20150128_193300_zps7tpr018z.jpg

20150128_193254_zpspdzud3eu.jpg

20150128_193133_zps6ocuqtwd.jpg

20150128_193128_zpsvwllxpkx.jpg

they are sooo pretty!!

Thanks. I'm still struggling taking pics under the Razor. One day I'd love to take as crisp pics as you Ninja!

jedimasterben

I tried to look at the settings on the picture to figure out if you'd need to change something, but either it got corrupted or Photobucket corrupted them (it saves them to the picture file).

What settings are you using to shoot, and what are you using to import/edit them?

Archived