Cultivated Reef

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

So where did the colony Hugo, so help me god if you dried it out

The colony was removed from the rock, thrown into a bucket with water change water, and gifted to the LFS for rescue... I wasn't going to waste time trying to sell it, and it will pay off eventually, like last summer when they let me borrow a chiller for a week... karma!

The pink milli is now highlighted in between the Colony Stylo, and puffy Frogspawn, I'm hoping that now its getting ample light to go with ample flow, it will take off, and also show its stunning colors like when I bought it...

Im vinegar soaking all the powerheads, and the Tunze 3155 which has never been cleaned lol... also completely razor bladed all the glass, now that there aren't huge Valida branches keeping me from the coraline crusted front corner....that was fun...

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Ready for a change from Reef Crystals. Red Sea salt, blue bucket on the way. Will better match my parameters during water changes and am excited to see how the corals respond.

• Like 1
Spiderguardnano

Hmm that interesting I was under the impression that the pro was better for corals and the reg is for fish only tanks

I'm interested in seeing how your corals react I might switch to the regular if you have good responses

SouthFlorida_Tron

Hmm that interesting I was under the impression that the pro was better for corals and the reg is for fish only tanks

I'm interested in seeing how your corals react I might switch to the regular if you have good responses

Well, the main reasoning behind the statement "better for corals" or the "pro" is that because of the elevated levels of alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, for sps... having said that, i run my tank at lower than normal levels, 7dkh, 420ca, 1300mg.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

^ Made this switch a while ago. ^

Best decision all round. Its much cleaner too.

Im hoping it affects the color of my coral!

Man,I'm sad to see the valida colony go :( lol so gorgeous.

Not to jack the thread,but I use the black bucket RS salt,and my calc,alk and mag are OUTRAGEOUS !!! And I don't dose any 3 of those elements.. Any ideas ?! I see you keep your 3 parameters lower,do you think they'll raise drastically for you at all ?!

Tron runs zeovit. We try to keep our param close to NSW (natural sea water) which is why we run low calcium, alk, and mag. When you use a salt that's closer to your tanks parameters it makes your life easier overall. Red Sea blue bucket is very close to NSW and a lot of us with zeovit or ulns run it. The coral pro has very high levels of everything along with other things.

Most salt manufactures have 2 salt mixes. One close to NSW and one with higher levels.

Spiderguardnano

Tron runs zeovit. We try to keep our param close to NSW (natural sea water) which is why we run low calcium, alk, and mag. When you use a salt that's closer to your tanks parameters it makes your life easier overall. Red Sea blue bucket is very close to NSW and a lot of us with zeovit or ulns run it. The coral pro has very high levels of everything along with other things.

Most salt manufactures have 2 salt mixes. One close to NSW and one with higher levels.

Thanks Alex sorry to hijack the thread but how would i know what to use or what would be better for my tank?

SouthFlorida_Tron

With lower nutrient systems such as Zeovit systems, higher Alk values can cause tissue necrosis on the base of sps.

The Zeovit system works best when parameters are similar to NSW.

jedimasterben

Thanks Alex sorry to hijack the thread but how would i know what to use or what would be better for my tank?

Try something out, then try something else out and see what happens. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are still by far the most used salt mix and are the 'go-to' mixes, Red Sea dissolves faster (but is far less common and more expensive), and most other salt mixes have something that is different, but realistically, they're all salt. Figure out what parameters your tank likes to run at then choose a salt mix that is close to that.

It really just depends on the tank. If you plan on keeping softies and lps they do fine with higher parameters. Like tron mentioned, when your carbon dosing high alk is no Bueno. It leads to burnt tips and tissue necrosis. Ask me how I know :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Perfect example, I'll be use Red Sea salt on this tank, and keep the remaining Reef Crystals for the pico... No dosing on that tank.

Tron - Did you ever consider using the NR-1 reactor? I think I remember you having one but not using it. I have been thinking about including it with my upgrade and put zeostones in it to make a full zeo AIO. Do you know how well it would fit in the back with the PLS-50? Would either be visible at all?