Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Well, my first shot at SPS is a fail again, the stylo is losing flesh from the tips and bleaching out in the middle of the branches. Sigh.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my first shot at SPS is a fail again, the stylo is losing flesh from the tips and bleaching out in the middle of the branches. Sigh.

Same happens for me too. I can't seem to keep clams, duncans or fungia or even the "bulletproof" sps alive. But everything else flourishes. I don't get it.

Maybe next time...

jedimasterben

yeah, if you could just go ahead and post those 35w gyre videos, that'd be great..

bad_boss.jpg

:lol:

I meant to have everything done yesterday, but had a tooth pulled that was really infected and caused immense pain. I slept for almost 17 hours, just got up and have rendered the video and it's processing on Youtube now.

I meant to have everything done yesterday, but had a tooth pulled that was really infected and caused immense pain. I slept for almost 17 hours, just got up and have rendered the video and it's processing on Youtube now.

that doesn't sound very fun.. I wondered why you were MIA.

wow, I wasn't expecting that much flow out of the 35w. I see this going in my tank in the future :)

Nice video.

So how long is this pump? I might be able to fit one of them if it's short enough.

Word of the day is Floss. I lost a tooth at 45 years mainly due to not flossing everyday. :D I hate flossing.

jedimasterben

Nice video.

So how long is this pump? I might be able to fit one of them if it's short enough.

Just at 9.5" long.

Word of the day is Floss. I lost a tooth at 45 years mainly due to not flossing everyday. :D I hate flossing.

Yeah, flossing pretty much sucks.

depends a lot on genetics I think, or maybe water quality.. I never floss, brush once a day, etc. and very very rarely have a cavity (1 or MAYBE 2 my entire life). my Fiance's family gets cavities all the time (her brother had 9 in one visit) and they're all big into flossing and everything.

Ouch. That sucks.

That really had a lot less flow than the 150 on your tank but it still packs quite a punch. It is definitely going to move some water in my 2'x2'. Thanks for making the video.

depends a lot on genetics I think, or maybe water quality.. I never floss, brush once a day, etc. and very very rarely have a cavity (1 or MAYBE 2 my entire life). my Fiance's family gets cavities all the time (her brother had 9 in one visit) and they're all big into flossing and everything.

i agree. i take such good care of my teeth (brush 2x a day and floss every day) and i always seem to get cavities....

ugh. <_<

hope recovery goes well!

jedimasterben

i agree. i take such good care of my teeth (brush 2x a day and floss every day) and i always seem to get cavities....

ugh. <_<

hope recovery goes well!

Thanks Roger, I'm quite a bit better today with only a single pain pill, where yesterday even two didn't really do much other than get rid of the migraine. I was at least able to get the Gyre 35w writeup done! lol

Oh, and did I mention that during all of this, I found out my dental insurance isn't actually insurance. You get assigned to a dentist (in 1-2 months) and you don't have copays or anything, but 'discounts on dental services'. So, I had to pay cash for the visit, but thank god it was only $210 for the x-rays, extraction, everything! Phew.

Hey Ben, I'd like to say your tank looks great in the video. It looks like your long battle with Dinos finally payed off!

Have you tried some Galaxea or Hydophora in your tank? I think they'd go well with the sense of motion your tank projects (between the anemone and the gorgs).

jedimasterben

Hey Ben, I'd like to say your tank looks great in the video. It looks like your long battle with Dinos finally payed off!

Have you tried some Galaxea or Hydophora in your tank? I think they'd go well with the sense of motion your tank projects (between the anemone and the gorgs).

I've had a galaxea in the past, but it didn't do all that well (though, I believe I got it after the dinos started, so that may have had somethign to do with it). I currently have three LPS corals, a lobophyllia, one acan, and a candy cane/trumpet. The lobo and acan are both just surviving, it seems, but at least they are doing that. Both receded a bit when I first put them in, but are doing ok now, no more recession, though no more growth, either. This is in stark contrast to how it used to be, acans and SPS grew like weeds. But, oh well, it's not the biggest deal, I guess. I've got my soft coral, gorgonians, and anemones.

I would bet you have a softy or nem giving off some SPS inhibiting chemical, now.

And Hydnos may look timid and like a rock, but after getting one, some 3 am in the future it will reach over twice its size and murder a beautiful SSC or Katropora minding its own business.

Great video- I like how you set it up with the different speeds- very helpful. What do Ya think is up with the sps- is Alk an issue? Not stable?

jedimasterben

Great video- I like how you set it up with the different speeds- very helpful. What do Ya think is up with the sps- is Alk an issue? Not stable?

My alk doesnt change, I dont have coralline or any growing stony corals, so I've got no real consumption. Every time I've measured it it has not been very diffeent., and especially not in the couple of days that I had the stylo. I just dont know. :(

My alk doesnt change, I dont have coralline or any growing stony corals, so I've got no real consumption. Every time I've measured it it has not been very diffeent., and especially not in the couple of days that I had the stylo. I just dont know. :(

Hmmm.......that's my go to with sps issues - alk?. Gonna go through your thread and ck out your starboard? Is that what your bottom of the tank is? I am totally clueless about this but GHillbilly told me to ck it out - I am considering BB on an upgrade and he said your running the starboard? Best of both worlds? False bottom that doesn't collect detritus?

jedimasterben

Hmmm.......that's my go to with sps issues - alk. Gonna go through your thread and ck out your starboard? Is that what your bottom of the tank is? I am totally clueless about this but GHillbilly told me to ck it out - I am considering BB on an upgrade and he said your running the starboard? Best of both worlds? False bottom that doesn't collect detritus?

See that's what I always say to others too, check alk and keep it rock solid, everything else doesn't matter nearly as much. :/

But yes, the bottom is HDPE (aka starboard). It doesn't collect anything except for where flow doesn't hit strongly under the rocks, so the rock pile on the left holds a lot of detritus, but it's easy enough to get back into the water column, I take a powerhead every couple of weeks and use it to blow all the rocks and stuff off.

With water parameters being good.... stylo is pretty damn hardy and hard to kill. Peeling flesh that quickly tells me you were likely beating it to death with a brick wall. :lol:

Archived