Top Shelf Aquatics

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you have rocks in there somewhere, but....? :lol:

Looking stellar! Those clams look really happy.

I see rocks :). Thanks, Mr. M :flower:

The colors o.O

I'm struggling to keep nutrients up, I think. Gotta get that digi a darker color!!!!!

If you look over at the tank one day to find me sprawled out on your squammie don't be alarmed :wub:

:lol:

Hi Gena, what do you run you lights at? Searching thread ....

80% and 90% peak. I just recently got the 120 degree white reflectors too and watching how that changes things. So far I'm seeing noticeable improvements.

Speaking of clams and being comfy beds.....my male neon goby was sitting on the squammie the last couple of days. That's how things started with the female

and her attacking the clam. So I came across him doing that on Wednesday last week. I thought, let me just SEE if I can catch him with this net. Sure enough, first try I got him, with no effort.

So I turned him into the LFS. Felt a little bad about that :blush:. But I'd rather not take the chance on him starting to irritate it too.

So I'm down another fish. Everyone else is behaving fingerscrossed.

OH!!!!!! Guess what we spent a majority of the day doing yesterday?????

Looking at kittens :wub:. I said no more cats for me and here we are looking for a new kitten to add to our family :wub:. I'm thinking when school is out, we'll go to the animal shelter and find her. My son insists

on a female to replace his little girl we just lost. For now we are just browsing LOL. Unless we see the "one".

80% and 90% peak. I just recently got the 120 degree white reflectors too and watching how that changes things. So far I'm seeing noticeable improvements.

Thanks Gena. I have the 120 lenses over my 29 but having trouble dialing it in, and I have a PAR meter. Must be some kind of water quality issue or the fact I'm not female so I can't have a nice nano tank. :D Gender penalty.

Thanks Gena. I have the 120 lenses over my 29 but having trouble dialing it in, and I have a PAR meter. Must be some kind of water quality issue or the fact I'm not female so I can't have a nice nano tank. :D Gender penalty.

I've never used a PAR meter but am curious what the results would be. I've seen your tanks and they look plenty nice to me ;).

wow!! :wub:

Thank you :).

Kitties! :happydance:

Aww, sad to see the neon go, but better safe than sorry. For whatever reason, Sharkbait (I know, sharknose isn't he same as neon, but he's close :P ) is super easy to catch too. He got ousted to the 10g for all his sand spitting.

Gena, I'm thinking of taking off the 90 reflectors for my 60. Do you know what difference it would make in my 60 not having reflectors at all versus going w/ the 120?

And your clam has grown while perched in the monti!!!

Kitties! :happydance:

Aww, sad to see the neon go, but better safe than sorry. For whatever reason, Sharkbait (I know, sharknose isn't he same as neon, but he's close :P ) is super easy to catch too. He got ousted to the 10g for all his sand spitting.

Yeah, can't believe I'm caving and considering a kitten LOL. They are just too cute :).

Gena, I'm thinking of taking off the 90 reflectors for my 60. Do you know what difference it would make in my 60 not having reflectors at all versus going w/ the 120?

And your clam has grown while perched in the monti!!!

I really don't know. I guess the mix of LED colors wouldn't be so good without reflectors? Ben would know the answer to that :). In my experience, having the 120s spreads the light out to all corners but I guess maybe it's less intense in the middle.
jedimasterben

LEDs by design have a roughly 120-140° radiation pattern under them, the reflectors help to clean this up a bit to around 120 even. Of the 120° cone, the inner 60° is where most of the light is emitted. :)

I am going to go to the 120 also, as you and Ben suggest. My tank is long and it is dark at either end. I am seeing improvement already since I dialed back to 85/85 at peak. Thanks for your input.

Your tank colors and corals are just a pleasure to see.

KITTENS! :wub: So much fun. Just wait until it sees those lizards! Gotta have pictures of that Gena. Please!

PS where is your sale thread? omgomgomg NVM I found it!

Popping in for a moment! Sorry, been crazy busy over here again and I'm behind. Love the new photos! Those top downs of the clams are my fav. I'm on a clam kick right now. I want more but no one has been getting in any decent ones locally. I've been restraining myself from buying one of the pretty new maximas on Pacific East Aquaculture's site. Can't justify paying $40 in shipping for just a clam though. Looks like the SPS corals are really taking off for you. That digi has a really cool growth pattern. Looks like the slimer is finally growing for you. When it gets a bit bigger, could I get a frag from you? I'd love to try to grow back another colony from my original strain. I REALLY miss my huge slimer colony.

If you look over at the tank one day to find me sprawled out on your squammie don't be alarmed :wub:

I totes agree, it looks like a very fluffy comfy pillow.

Thanks you guys :wub:

LEDs by design have a roughly 120-140° radiation pattern under them, the reflectors help to clean this up a bit to around 120 even. Of the 120° cone, the inner 60° is where most of the light is emitted. :)

So with the new reflector, the intensity of the light directly underneath the lights has not changed at all? For some reason I thought I read that with it being spread out more now, the intensity is lessened.

I am going to go to the 120 also, as you and Ben suggest. My tank is long and it is dark at either end. I am seeing improvement already since I dialed back to 85/85 at peak. Thanks for your input.

Your tank colors and corals are just a pleasure to see.

KITTENS! :wub: So much fun. Just wait until it sees those lizards! Gotta have pictures of that Gena. Please!

PS where is your sale thread? omgomgomg NVM I found it!

KITTENS omgomgomg. My son and I have kitten fever LOL. It's kitten season next month...so they tell us. That's when we'll check the shelter. I hope the new kitten doesn't harass the cresties LOL. I do know they like to sit and watch them :). I've seen videos of that. We got our new female crestie today!!!!!!!! She's absolutely gorgeous!!!!! No photos as I don't want to disturb her after her stressful journey. But soon :happydance:.

Popping in for a moment! Sorry, been crazy busy over here again and I'm behind. Love the new photos! Those top downs of the clams are my fav. I'm on a clam kick right now. I want more but no one has been getting in any decent ones locally. I've been restraining myself from buying one of the pretty new maximas on Pacific East Aquaculture's site. Can't justify paying $40 in shipping for just a clam though. Looks like the SPS corals are really taking off for you. That digi has a really cool growth pattern. Looks like the slimer is finally growing for you. When it gets a bit bigger, could I get a frag from you? I'd love to try to grow back another colony from my original strain. I REALLY miss my huge slimer colony.

Hey girlfriend :flower:. I know you are keeping busy :). Just go for the PEA clam. I did LOL. It (the squamosa) was the only thing I bought that order. It was also a gift from my husband.

Yep...slimer is finally growing! It totally was stunted by the monticap. I will for sure send you a frag of it as soon as I can :happy:.

Hey girlfriend :flower:. I know you are keeping busy :). Just go for the PEA clam. I did LOL. It (the squamosa) was the only thing I bought that order. It was also a gift from my husband.

Yep...slimer is finally growing! It totally was stunted by the monticap. I will for sure send you a frag of it as soon as I can :happy:.

You bought one of the clams? Which one? That's so exciting! I wanted the Tiffany blue maxima they had, but its gone now :( Oh well, I'd really prefer to get one locally. There just haven't been many showing up locally the last year or so. Not sure what that's about. There used to be tons at the stores all the time. Your husband is very sweet :) I want a full set of clams. I have a derasa and a squamosa now and then I will be getting a crocea in a few months. Now I need to find a maxima!

Awesome! Glad its growing. That strain is so pretty. Love how it looks in your tank. I'd be so thrilled to get a small frag back at some point. If we wait a few months at least, I'll be down in SoCal (Huntington Beach area) quite often, so I bet I could come pick it up in person. Also, maybe you could meet Eddie too :)

A kitten?! That is so exciting. Such little cuties. Kitten season should start really soon, so next month would definitely be the time to go. I hope you can find a super sweet little kitten.

You got another crestie? I am so behind! So is this one for breeding? Does that mean you have 3 now?

You bought one of the clams? Which one? That's so exciting! I wanted the Tiffany blue maxima they had, but its gone now :( Oh well, I'd really prefer to get one locally. There just haven't been many showing up locally the last year or so. Not sure what that's about. There used to be tons at the stores all the time. Your husband is very sweet :) I want a full set of clams. I have a derasa and a squamosa now and then I will be getting a crocea in a few months. Now I need to find a maxima!

Awesome! Glad its growing. That strain is so pretty. Love how it looks in your tank. I'd be so thrilled to get a small frag back at some point. If we wait a few months at least, I'll be down in SoCal (Huntington Beach area) quite often, so I bet I could come pick it up in person. Also, maybe you could meet Eddie too :)

A kitten?! That is so exciting. Such little cuties. Kitten season should start really soon, so next month would definitely be the time to go. I hope you can find a super sweet little kitten.

You got another crestie? I am so behind! So is this one for breeding? Does that mean you have 3 now?

Oh gosh no...no clams for me. I meant my squamosa I got a couple years ago...the big one in my tank now. It's a PEA clam :).

Is Eddie moving back to California??? I remember he mentioned it before. Makes it more convenient for you two :wub:.

Yes...a kitten omgomgomg. I think I lost my mind LOL.

I have 8 geckos now :lol:. This is my 3rd adult. I also have one young adult. And 4 babies. This new one is for breeding. She's absolutely stunning too.

Oh gosh no...no clams for me. I meant my squamosa I got a couple years ago...the big one in my tank now. It's a PEA clam :).

Is Eddie moving back to California??? I remember he mentioned it before. Makes it more convenient for you two :wub:.

Yes...a kitten omgomgomg. I think I lost my mind LOL.

I have 8 geckos now :lol:. This is my 3rd adult. I also have one young adult. And 4 babies. This new one is for breeding. She's absolutely stunning too.

Ah! Thought you bought a new one! That squamosa you have is beautiful and huge! My derasa has grown like crazy and is really large now, but the squamosa I've had even longer is still pretty small. Its super healthy, but it seems to grow really slowly.

I can't reveal too many of Eddie's secrets (he has a flair for dramatic announcements :lol: ) but yes. Should make life a bit easier :D

Haha, yeah they're a lot of work, but they're so adorable that its worth it. At least they aren't as much work as puppies.

Woah! I somehow missed that you had so many geckos now! The babies are ones from your adults breeding? That's exciting. Are you going to sell the babies or keep them?

Archived