Coral Vue Hydros

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Wow! Such a change. So many of us are having changes lately. I like the 20L. Gertie does too.

I've always loved the 20L. Something about it is just so perfect looking :).

Yeah you'll have to clean the glass more, but that should be ok. I'm OCD about scraping the back glass on my tank anyways and I have a black background. The white is really nice! But yeah, not sure about a white filter.

Yeah, shouldn't be too much of a deal. The only equipment that will get in the way will be the filter and the heater but I can always remove them to get at the glass. Now to find a white HOB... :lol:. Not really necessary, but if I come across one that'd be cool.
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loved the 20L. Something about it is just so perfect looking :).

Yeah, shouldn't be too much of a deal. The only equipment that will get in the way will be the filter and the heater but I can always remove them to get at the glass. Now to find a white HOB... :lol:. Not really necessary, but if I come across one that'd be cool.

I like the longer narrow tanks myself, so I'm partial to the 20L :)

You could spray paint the filter with white krylon fusion.

FlowerMama

That's a really good idea Felicia!

Are you keeping your flowers in the small one or moving them over?

Wow! What a quick decision to make the change!!

If I was closer I'd be happy to take a few things off your hands. ;) Let me know if you decide to ship more items! Are the monti's that hard to care for in a softy tank? I had been thinking about snatching up a piece from you once I get both of my tanks on track - but it would be for the biocube.

That's a really good idea Felicia!

Are you keeping your flowers in the small one or moving them over?

I just realized the only part of the filter that will show in the tank is the uptake tube and I can deal with that not being white :).

I'm going to take down the 8g and move a lot of that into the 20L so yes, flowers will be moving over :).

Wow! What a quick decision to make the change!!

If I was closer I'd be happy to take a few things off your hands. ;) Let me know if you decide to ship more items! Are the monti's that hard to care for in a softy tank? I had been thinking about snatching up a piece from you once I get both of my tanks on track - but it would be for the biocube.

I work fast LOL. But really, been thinking about this for awhile. And with my new babies arriving in a few weeks, I want to keep them safe and they would have access into the stand. I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. Big open sump available to them. Lots of wires. It's just too big of a hazard. I'm not the least bit sad abbout this and actually can't wait to get it done LOL.

Not sure on the montis. I know right now they are sucking up a ton of calcium/alk..they are monstrous. I don't want to get to that point again which is why no SPS are allowed :D.

and also thinking about not moving the clowns in but getting a pygmy angelfish. Something that SWIMS!

Go go Insta-Reef!

Have you started a FS thread?

Do you know if two blue-stars would get along together? I would assume the dominant one would eventually become male?

FlowerMama

Gena, can't believe this tank has had 2 yrs already!!. Then again I have 2 more tanks that will do the same in Oct and Nov. Any more Kitty cam pics?

Go go Insta-Reef!

Have you started a FS thread?

Do you know if two blue-stars would get along together? I would assume the dominant one would eventually become male?

I think so. BUT....I have a guy coming out in about 45 minutes to buy her. Is that you? LOL

Gena, can't believe this tank has had 2 yrs already!!. Then again I have 2 more tanks that will do the same in Oct and Nov. Any more Kitty cam pics?

Yep...almost 2 years. I have lots of interest in things already and have two people coming out tonight to buy things :happydance:. The gold maxima should be gone tonight. The squamosa is going to Felicia :). I had to already start tearing things down. I now have a frag tank....oh well.

Leak testing the 20g right now. Will paint the back tomorrow. I picked up white spray paint today. Busy busy busy day :).

How she looks now...and don't be sad folks! I'm not. It's a new beginning happening over here :happydance:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%204.38.4

No more kitty cam pics but the foster parent sent me this photo today of my little Nicky and Nora :wub:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%204.32.3

All this tear down is for them :wub:. Ok me too LOL.

And I did some kitty toy shopping today. Check out this awesome feathery fish I bought :)

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%204.38.0

I think so. BUT....I have a guy coming out in about 45 minutes to buy her. Is that you? LOL

NO! :angry:

In all seriousness... exciting times! GL to you Gena!

FlowerMama

Oh my gosh! the tank! Guess we're not as ready as you are. Glad you're ready. It's just freaking us out a little over here to see those montis cracked in pieces! It amazes me how attached we become to other's tanks.

I agree with FlowerMama! I definitely felt sad seeing your large frag tank, but I am excited for you and can't wait to see your new tank. Will you be posting frags up on your FS thread? I just noticed you have some spongodes and forest fire. Been looking for the FF for a bit :) I feel a little vulture-isn typing this.

Sk8n Reefer

Wow Gena, sorry to hear about the tank- one of my favs for sure you did a fantastic job with it but understandable. I think you'll get the sps bug again ? looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank ? 20L gives you plenty of options still. Find a good home for those caps?

Thanks you guys :flower:

I agree with FlowerMama! I definitely felt sad seeing your large frag tank, but I am excited for you and can't wait to see your new tank. Will you be posting frags up on your FS thread? I just noticed you have some spongodes and forest fire. Been looking for the FF for a bit :) I feel a little vulture-isn typing this.

No frags....I'm sold out :lol:.

Sold everything I wanted to sell yesterday and today. Had tons of inquiries. Just hoping the same happens when I go to sell the tank/stand/sump/skimmer/pump ;).

You guys might hate to see a photo now. I sold a bunch of Zs and Ps. Like 3 rocks full including my grandis palys. I had so many Zs and Ps though and kept my very favorites.

I'm so excited about starting up the new tank. I'm going the softy and Lps route. Lots of fluffiness. Pastel colors. Gonna look for a fiji yellow leather and need some green nepthea, sinularia, xenia. I hope I have a enough room in the new tank!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Going along with my ultra low maintenance system, I've decided to sell Bogart. I just don't think my K.I.S.S. system could handle him with all the live blackworms and food I'm squirting at him daily. It's really for the best. I've already found him a home. One of the guys that came out last night is taking him. In fact, I'm dropping him off at his house today so I can see where he's going to live :). Super nice guy taking him. Reefers are the best :).

I'm also selling my clowns because they are too big now and will look awkward in the 20g tank. Only fish I'm moving over will be Pinky and the GBGs. I'm missing the male though!!!! Not sure what happened. I haven't seen him at all today.

So that's the latest!!! Still have to go spray paint my tank. Been so busy lately :).

FlowerMama

Oh wow, even the grandis paly. :wub: Glad Bogey is going to a good home. I think you have to do something every 2 yrs in this hobby, part of it is because the sand gets so nasty after that period of time, but after you buy everything in the first 6 mos, you're not feeding the addiction part that feels so good anymore so boredom sets in. For that reason I'm glad I kept the Evolve. I'm loving my acid rain bta. That one I can easily change every 2 yrs, esp since It's bare bottom.

Oh wow, even the grandis paly. :wub: Glad Bogey is going to a good home. I think you have to do something every 2 yrs in this hobby, part of it is because the sand gets so nasty after that period of time, but after you buy everything in the first 6 mos, you're not feeding the addiction part that feels so good anymore so boredom sets in. For that reason I'm glad I kept the Evolve. I'm loving my acid rain bta. That one I can easily change every 2 yrs, esp since It's bare bottom.

Yep...every single last grandis paly! I'm going for a pastel garden theme so they wouldn't have fit in. Plus they are the most deadly toxin, or second most deadly toxin on the planet LOL. Rather just not have them in my house :).

Dropped Bogart off today. He's now living in a beautiful 150 gallon aquarium. He probably thinks he's back in the ocean LOL. They had the most amazing vegetable garden too. I snapped a couple of photos. Would LOVE to have something like this. PLUS they have chickens :wub:. Didn't get a picture of them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%209.05.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%209.10.3

Bogart found a great new home :).

Oh...and he feeds his tank 4 or 5 times a day!!!!!! Was happy to hear that. AND the tank is immaculate. He has a huge sump refugium full of pods..

FlowerMama

Such good news for Bogart's transfer. Yeah, I'm jealous of that garden too. I only have a little spot that I'll be messing w/ tomorrow after breakfast to pull some weeds, add some more dirt and fertilizer and plant my basil and 2 watermelons. But my family used to have a large garden in Chicago and they had so much: peas, peppers, carrots, parsnip, many different varieties of tomatoes, radishes, onions, green beans.

Such a nice breeze coming through my living room. Time for a nap.

:o my how things have changed! :lol: new beginnings are fun. I'm breaking my 10g down too so I'll just have the one SW tank. Much easier that way. Sad to see your beautiful clams go though.

Wow, Gena! You pulled this off fast! Can't wait to see the new set-up. I assume you're busy getting that all set up this weekend!

I love the newest photos of the kittens. They are so adorable together. Such a cute little couple :) Also, that new cat toy is amazing! I love buying aquarium-themed toys for Lily. She has several fish, a clownfish, sting rays, a lobster, whales, a sea turtle, and many more...she has too many toys :lol:

Such good news for Bogart's transfer. Yeah, I'm jealous of that garden too. I only have a little spot that I'll be messing w/ tomorrow after breakfast to pull some weeds, add some more dirt and fertilizer and plant my basil and 2 watermelons. But my family used to have a large garden in Chicago and they had so much: peas, peppers, carrots, parsnip, many different varieties of tomatoes, radishes, onions, green beans.

Such a nice breeze coming through my living room. Time for a nap.

I'm not even doing a garden this year. Just the green peppers that never died and some ghost peppers. I'll plant a tomato or two and that's it. Remember my apricot tree????? It's produced several apricots that we've been eating and they are out of this world!!!! Sweet like candy. Better than any store bought. I really need to plant this tree in the ground and let it take off. It's amazing :).

:o my how things have changed! :lol: new beginnings are fun. I'm breaking my 10g down too so I'll just have the one SW tank. Much easier that way. Sad to see your beautiful clams go though.

It's like we never learn that 2 tanks is one too many LOL. That's how it is for me anyways. I'll probably forget how I feel now and set the 8g up again in a year or so LOLOLOLOL. Hopefully I've learned by now though.

The squamosa is going to Felicia so you can still see it on her thread!!!!! I'll be shipping it this coming week :).

Of course :wub:. I only got rid of the ones that aren't either pastel green, pink, or a lighter shade like the petroglyphs. Trying to keep with my new pastel themed tank :).

Soooo can't wait to get it going!

Wow, Gena! You pulled this off fast! Can't wait to see the new set-up. I assume you're busy getting that all set up this weekend!

I love the newest photos of the kittens. They are so adorable together. Such a cute little couple :) Also, that new cat toy is amazing! I love buying aquarium-themed toys for Lily. She has several fish, a clownfish, sting rays, a lobster, whales, a sea turtle, and many more...she has too many toys :lol:

I haven't done a thing with the tank today. I had someone come out today and buy coral and my BRS supplements Ca, ALK, MG. Won't need those in bulk anymore. If I do dose it will be by hand and a 2-part. I swear...everyone that has come out sees the slimer and the squamosa and want to buy it LOL. I can't tell you how many times I've had to say they're sold :).

This morning we got to visit with the kittens again. It was the best! They are bigger but still so tiny. Another 2-3 weeks. They are still under 2 pounds.

As far as the tank....the back has been painted and looks great! I love it! I have a new stand. Bought a cabinet off of CL. It has a large opening on the front with doors and two drawers above that. The drawers will come in handy for storage. Just need to paint the stand and get new hardware for it. I think I'm going teal this time :).

Hey, teal will be pretty and work really well to set off the pastel colors, like watercolor!

I agree :flower:.

Hoping by next weekend to have the new tank set up! Nervous about transferring things though. Not so much worried about the coral as I am about the fish!

HarryPotter

I agree :flower:.Hoping by next weekend to have the new tank set up! Nervous about transferring things though. Not so much worried about the coral as I am about the fish!

I did a 28--> 45 upgrade and it was remarkably smooth. You are using live sand and live rock, no? Your plan is to transfer over all the old water and rock, get the temperature right and transfer the lighting, add corals, and then add the fish?

That would be my plan- keeping fish stress free since corals aren't as finicky.

I did a 28--> 45 upgrade and it was remarkably smooth. You are using live sand and live rock, no? Your plan is to transfer over all the old water and rock, get the temperature right and transfer the lighting, add corals, and then add the fish?

That would be my plan- keeping fish stress free since corals aren't as finicky.

Funny....I did a 28 to 45 upgrade as well. Now I'm going 45 to 20. Is this a glimpse into your future???? LOL

Yep, using live sand and live rock. Probably going to pick up a few more pieces of live rock from my LFS this week since I sold a bunch of rocks with corals attached. The fish and coral will have to spend a few hours in a bucket while I'm moving the 45g out of it's place and putting the 20g in it's place. And then throwing them all into the new tank with the new tank not having a chance to at least sit over night. Unless I leave the fish and coral in the bucket over night. That's my worry :).

Oh and this may not be as insta-reef as I had planned since I sold a lot more than I was initally planning to sell, to fit my pastel theme :).

Archived