Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

FTS looks horrible at the moment but I took some top downs that turned out well.

77GgVxH.jpg

This is a frag of the KBG acro looking nothing like itself. THe only acro in this tank.

NCURoeq.jpg

ZTXhZFr.jpg

k9cnH3v.jpg

hUzqnEa.jpg

rfHUUUy.jpg

yGVH4Yq.jpg

I love my shrooms.

qgGZADH.jpg

As you might notice the Kenya Tree coral has spread all over. I chopped the big one down to give the torch more room and it responded very well, with a few heads on the right coming back strong.

gneftbg.jpg

Lucked into this not quite a frogspawn hammerish one.

mUkrQqF.jpg

Toxic Hammer

8P01kXm.jpg

Duncans

nfInRwU.jpg

Not sure what to do about the cyano. This is two days after a cleanup and it's coming back strong. I think I'll clean it all up once more and then nuke the tank again and see if I can keep it away.

• Like 6

I've probably mentioned this but it bears repeating. I too recently had a few patches of cyano, thick mats, in some places, mostly on rocks and coral, not like yours. I did ReHype's tried and tested method - and it has worked for me too - time and again.

3ml Coral Snow mixed with 3ml microbacter7 or any beneficial bacterial supplement you have - Dr Tims, Nite out - whatever.

Let it sit for a couple of days. Siphon out as much cyano as you can. Stir the mixture, turn of skimmer and dose 1ml into the tank.

Turn on skimmer after an hour or two. As an additional wham pow turn off lights for a day.

My cyano has gone away within a week every time I have tried this.

People do carbon dosing to combat cyano - which is the same thing as adding bacteria. Whatever you are comfortable doing.

• Like 2

I am starting up a 40B myself, i bought 2 AC110's do you think that will be overkill? your tank looks great

Just AC 110s? I used to run one on here to hold media, now I use a HOB refugium with hanging bags of media. I prefer the 110 but not sure how much better two will be. You will need some in tank circulation as well.

I've probably mentioned this but it bears repeating. I too recently had a few patches of cyano, thick mats, in some places, mostly on rocks and coral, not like yours. I did ReHype's tried and tested method - and it has worked for me too - time and again.

3ml Coral Snow mixed with 3ml microbacter7 or any beneficial bacterial supplement you have - Dr Tims, Nite out - whatever.

Let it sit for a couple of days. Siphon out as much cyano as you can. Stir the mixture, turn of skimmer and dose 1ml into the tank.

Turn on skimmer after an hour or two. As an additional wham pow turn off lights for a day.

My cyano has gone away within a week every time I have tried this.

People do carbon dosing to combat cyano - which is the same thing as adding bacteria. Whatever you are comfortable doing.

Thanks for the idea. I do add vinegar to my topoff though I'm backing off since nitrates are 0. Seems to be a theme, 0 nitrates, so a new kit will arrive in the next few days just to make sure.

I did try the Microbacter Coral snow mix earlier this year but it came back so I used ChemiClean. I need to understand the issue that is creating a favorable environment for cyano, otherwise it will just keep coming back IMO.

Me too :wub:.

Thanks Gena!

• Like 2
lessergeneration

Just AC 110s? I used to run one on here to hold media, now I use a HOB refugium with hanging bags of media. I prefer the 110 but not sure how much better two will be. You will need some in tank circulation as well.

Oh i also have an MP10 for circulation and if needed a large koralia powerhead, i was just meaning in terms of filtration. I plan for one of them to be used for chaeto & LR rubble and the other to have filter floss, carbon, and phosphate pad

• Like 1

Oh i also have an MP10 for circulation and if needed a large koralia powerhead, i was just meaning in terms of filtration. I plan for one of them to be used for chaeto & LR rubble and the other to have filter floss, carbon, and phosphate pad

I think that's a fine idea. I modded one of the lids of a 110 with LED pucks and grew chaeto like mad.

• 3 weeks later...

God im so tempted...

Trust me, a someone who is 50+ and had plenty of promotions. It's ain't worth it unless you pre-spend all the money before you get it. :D

• Like 4

Trust me, a someone who is 50+ and had plenty of promotions. It's ain't worth it unless you pre-spend all the money before you get it. :D

m

Damn you mark. Might as well spend all the money i can before the fiance takes over too.

• Like 2

Cleaning the tank in preparation for the new NanoBox light. What a job, but only because I put it off too long. Tried to scoot stuff away from the back wall into more light, gave the torch more room, got rid of a tree infested rock, and made sure Mr Tang had a nice tall cave in back.

Color is way down at the moment but corals are relatively healthy. I've been dosing a drop of PhosphateRx daily and adding just a touch of Reef Roids to make sure I don't kill anything. Cyano was fading but has since really sped up I assume due to the PhosphateRx.

The front of the tank is nearly bare bottom and I continue to ever so slowly suck out old sand during each water change.

nJFCcTY.jpg

• Like 7

I forgot you already bought a quad. Was gonna say you should buy my Nanobox Hybrid Sunpower :P

Yea, no T5's on this but I did consider it. I can't afford anymore heat producing lights.

The tank is looking really good Mark. Cyano has been a problem for me most of the summer. Did you ever decide what was causing yours to recede before you began dosing the PhosphateRx? Hey congrats on the new lights! That will be very nice.

• Like 1

The tank is looking really good Mark. Cyano has been a problem for me most of the summer. Did you ever decide what was causing yours to recede before you began dosing the PhosphateRx? Hey congrats on the new lights! That will be very nice.

Hi Dawn,

I think a change to pellet food might have helped, but the Phosphate Rx seems t be working best. I have to make sure to feed a little coral food every other day or things get stressed due to (I assume) low PO4.

• Like 3

I thinking about trying Phosphate Rx in my 40g, but I used a little more NoPox than I probably should, and Nitrates are at zero and phosphates are right at about .02. It looks like the corals are OK, so I'm enjoying this rare time when a mistake turns out to have good results :)

• Like 4