ReefCleaners.org

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

jedimasterben

Color temperature means nothing, again another term that was bastardized into meaning something other than what it is (in addition to measuring anything over ~8000K takes extremely specialized equipment). Look at the spectral characteristics only.

Color temperature means nothing, again another term that was bastardized into meaning something other than what it is (in addition to measuring anything over ~8000K takes extremely specialized equipment). Look at the spectral characteristics only.

Ok, so here's the True Lumen:

12000K_TrueLumen_Graph1.jpg

And here's ATI's Coral Plus:

bulbs_chart_coralplus_large.png

Oh, and here's ATI's Aquablue special:

bulbs_chart_aquablue_large.png

ATI's website says that the Aquablue is less blue (15k K) and the Coral Plus is more blue (>15k K). Thoughts?

I believe I'm going with your original recommendation -- I'm just trying to better understand the lighting lol

OH also, I noticed the wavepoint bulb I mentioned earlier had some peaks in the far red spectrum. Any idea how these wavelengths affect corals?

jedimasterben

Neither of them come close to that kelvin temperature. The coral plus is a white bulb, the Aquablue is a yellow-tinted bulb with drab color and should be avoided. If I was at my computer, I'd link you to the look of the Coral Plus, I've got pics of it somewhere.

I doubt corals care much about IR light, it is just heat :)

BTW, the truelumen bulb you linked to is actually for an LED array, not a T5HO.

• Like 1

Gah, yeah, the truelumens I have are so old I think they've been discontinued.

So I'm gonna try to pick the ATIs tomorrow. From what I think I've read, I should just put in one bulb at a time so the corals don't get stressed from the change?

so i bought one of these frags from PEA

tn_FJL309149LovelyLadiesAlveopora_zps6d2

It's simply stunning. I love how the pics that they post are pretty spot on in regards to the coral's coloration.

• Like 5
jedimasterben

Gah, yeah, the truelumens I have are so old I think they've been discontinued.

So I'm gonna try to pick the ATIs tomorrow. From what I think I've read, I should just put in one bulb at a time so the corals don't get stressed from the change?

Yes, especially since 1) one bulb is a true actinic with low output, 2) that bulb is two years old, 3) your other bulb is probably just as old, right? lol. Bulbs lose around 25% of their intensity over ~8 months when run within spec, and after that time intensity starts to go down more quickly, but their phosphors also begin to break down and there is a spectral shift towards red, and this is the real reason why bulbs should be changed more often.

I would replace the actinic with the Blue Plus for two weeks, then replace the old 12K bulb with the Coral Plus.

So my rightmost rock used to be completely covered in knopia. Now it's COMPLETELY bare. Not because the knopia have died off. Oh no. Something has been RIPPING them of the rocks. It's either the clowns, or the hermits..... I'm looking at you, clowns.....

• 1 month later...

New camera! Olympus TG-3. Takes some really nice macros. But I'm still getting used to the settings. The color balance has been WAY off in the pics I took... most everything is way too blue. Anyway, hae some pics.

SmaFBHI.jpg

uCoMKRC.jpg

YGKoRPb.jpg

Wfaiedd.jpg

• Like 6

thanks, I couldn't tell if it was a picture of hermit enlarged or if it was a crab.

Ah, yeah, the new camera has a really nice macro mode, so I'm trying to take full advantage.

Took some more pics today. I think I had the white balance settings right at some point, cuz I took a few good pics. And then I messed with the settings some more and screwed them back up.

Micro-mini carpet anemone:

f7K3U4U.jpg

Zoasss

IScMVN4.jpg

vPSbfRB.jpg

Blue-tip hairy shroom

l244YfS.jpg

(I got this got for $5 at the LSF!)

• Like 5

Awesome pics! I love that micro-mini!!

These guys are really coloring up nicely. It must be the new lights lol. Also all the food I shovel in their mouths.

A little after I got them:

XzF4Kbi.png

Now:

f7K3U4U.jpg

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

ADVENTURES IS FOCUS STACKING

So the Olympus TG-3 has some nifty macro modes and some focus stacking options. It has an automatic focus stacking for 10 frames and it automatically processes it, and you can do a manual mode where it takes up to 30 frames but doesn't process them. Tried it out with ImageJ's Stack Focuser plugin (free). Here are the results:

One of the frames from the stack:

5BsYEn2.png

Stack Focuser:

d6ud5s2.png

Nice, but not the best.

THEN I remembered I have photoshop!

Photoshop focus stack:

ztR476P.png

Nice.

• Like 4

so i bought one of these frags from PEA

tn_FJL309149LovelyLadiesAlveopora_zps6d2

It's simply stunning. I love how the pics that they post are pretty spot on in regards to the coral's coloration.

How is this doing for you? It's gorgeous! And I agree we need a new FTS. Last one was in June. I need my gorgeous tank fix ASAP :D.
  • Like 1

One more focus stack. The hermit's antennas are blurred cuz they're always moving around I guess. Also, I've never really noticed those hairs in between their joints!

jAiho8c.png

Oh and a recent addition to the tank:

TJg6QpS.jpg

How is this doing for you? It's gorgeous! And I agree we need a new FTS. Last one was in June. I need my gorgeous tank fix ASAP :D.

Its doing OK but not great. I'm getting polyps expansion, but nowhere as much as in that pic. I think I'm not giving them the right flow or light.

Beautiful corals and tank. We need a fts though :P

Incredible picture, the detail is outrageous, but I"m w/ Gena!!!! new fts pls.

Soon, soon! I promise! Although not many changes have gone on I think. Here's a few more pictures to hold everyone over until then ;)

HUjrjjY.jpg

zoassss

5OaJHqq.jpg

the gentle pink of these guys is hard to get right

DvQ0zJt.jpg

mr clownfish does not approve of intruders

• Like 6