Top Shelf Aquatics

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

well that orders coming in thursday.i found useing plastic cooking sppons work well for tank transfer of mushrooms.the measureing spoons that are deep like teaspoon.

Edited by Builder Anthony

This is a really neat set-up, I love what you're doing here.

This is the first time I've seen something that impressed me on here in a while.

The time and love and thought you put into this are obvious, and I love your documentation of what you learn from all of the things you are trying.

I also love your innovative use of simple tools, it's something I have great appreciation for myself since I have always worked with a strict budget and I know what it's like to not be able to rely on the newest fancy gizmo.

I really hope you keep this up, there is much to be learned here.

Builder Anthony

Thanks that probaly my favorite comment.I realize all i realy post is my problems and i like to keep track of how i handle them.Especialy mushrooms.I think alot of people think there easy but some are real picky so i try to get what works well for each species.

The sheild i made for the mushrooms seems to be doing well but way to early to tell whats going to go on with the color.

3 drops of mag wait ten min 3 drops calcium.

Removed some bubble algae from a feather duster colony.

Mini pods still munching on zoas buy yellow clown is eating them i think or maybe its the bigger pod species doing that.I know once the display tank had bigger pods the little ones disappeared so when i change floss from display i see if theres some in there and add them to frag tank

Fed some of the palys and yellow stinging polyps....blastos still eating.

Might go to library friday to post some pictures of some new corals being shiped in.

Builder Anthony

DSCF1797.jpg

Random frag tank shots

DSCF1828.jpg

DSCF1811.jpg

DSCF1810.jpg

DSCF1809.jpg

DSCF1808.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

DSCF1806-1.jpg

DSCF1804.jpg

DSCF1803-1.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1793-1.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1847.jpg

DSCF1779.jpg

DSCF1757-1.jpg

DSCF1803.jpg

DSCF1756-1.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1777-1.jpg

DSCF1765-1.jpg

DSCF1780.jpg

DSCF1778.jpg

DSCF1837-1.jpg

Builder Anthony

Palys

DSCF1806.jpg

Patback heres the frag im sending

DSCF1773.jpg

Blue Xeina a little bleached but growing

DSCF1772.jpg

Think these are bam bams

DSCF1771.jpg

Aptasia growing ini corner

DSCF1770.jpg

Not sure what the little brown things are growing on the mushroom rock.Whatever skeleton it was on is coming back.

DSCF1769.jpg

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1767.jpg

DSCF1766-1.jpg

DSCF1765.jpg

DSCF1764.jpg

DSCF1763.jpg

DSCF1757.jpg

Kenya tree one of my first corals is growing

DSCF1774.jpg

Builder Anthony

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

DSCF1754-1.jpg

DSCF1755-1.jpg

DSCF1751-1.jpg

DSCF1838.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1842.jpg

DSCF1844.jpg

Current front tank shot

DSCF1775.jpg

All these are blue cloves that grew onto rock

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

Builder Anthony

Lobophilia diped in freshwater for five seconds then saltwatwater for ten seconds repeated five times then added to display.Extreme tighting of flesh to skeleton,some clear mucus produced.....the kind corals produce to shed

Frag rack created for lower tank.Frags rearranged.

Went to aquatic imports and traded off some of my quality frags.Quality store with tons of nice corals in stable conditions exelent service.

New Additions

DSCF1853.jpg

Cespitularia

Polyp of Darth maul

Polyp with green mouth,peach dot circle,purple outer rim,purple and peach tenecals

Lime green polyped leather,branching,possibly yellow,lighting should color it up.

14 Mini australian zoanthnids orange tenecales with yellow centers and mouth.

Hicthhiker nem on australian frag,brown tentacles,swirling dark green mixed with lime green face

5 bright purple palys with lime green tentacles

All frags kept in tupperware and placed on top of tank in high lighting,mini terrorist pods placed in display for neon goby.

will edit next 5 species when open

Builder Anthony

Well the dust from cutting the rock with a bandsaw seems to have stuck to the slime when the zoas were pulled out of the water and its not sheding it well so i threw it on the frag rack and put the bubbler underneath them for higher flow.

New Addtions Continued

Polyp flouresent lime green face,purple tentacles

2 Polyps grass green face,rusty orange tentacles

Polyp dark blue ring by mouth,light blue ring,dark blue tentacles.

14 mixed australian mini zoas closed seperate colony no nem on rock.

Builder Anthony

Im not soupposed to have fishtanks in this place so thats how i got mixed up in picos.Notice my fishtanks in closet.If they stop by i get a 3 day notice of the date and i just take down the light,airpump,and unplug everything and cover it with big boxes.Then lean some big pictures against it.I finally have a very good selection of good corals another month or so i should be able to do a big trade with someone for stuff i dont have.As long as i dont have it ill most likely trade for it,but i rather do trades of 20 species at a time,then grow that out and repeat.Save money that way.

Builder Anthony

my 75s at a freinds but it has a chip where glass meets,had a tall 55 before,but i think i want alot more 5 gallons

im haveing to pick off some of the dust with tweesers because a few polyps are still giving off mucus and closed.refragged the ones that are doing well because i need space,and want to grow them a different way.

Builder Anthony

led droped to bottom tank closed polyps,leathers and cespitularia will stay in clean water tupperware dish with 10000k 14 watt flouresent placed right on top of the tupperware.

cespitularia showed small brownish mucus within first 3 hours of cut but that area has closed considerably and it now a purpleish color.very small movement in polyps.

DSCF1865.jpg

hopefully no terrorist activity tonight very few are visable on the glass and yellow clown is really ticked i cut his feedings to one a day which is late at night

Builder Anthony

another bacth of eggs were laid near the other ones this morning in upper frag tank

lower frag tank parameters unbeleiveable

DSCF1860.jpg

ph 8

amonia .75

nitrate 18

nitrite weird color

im realy hopeing this is from sediment that was added from bags.25 percent water supplied from display and other frag tank,leathers droopy.yellow cloves open,mushrooms tight,favia seems fine,acan enchita semi tight,duncans somewhat inflated,blue cloves closed,kenya tree semi open.Should have taken a picture but was alarmed.blue cloves opening.

nightmare moving corals back to other frag tank.Crushed a stomelia tryen to put a suction cup on the wall for the hammer...hopefuly something surrivied from the sediment which seems to have caused this mess.barebottom is seeming to be very diffcult because the ph was low from no sand and low liverock but i figured the new coral rocks would fix that and it did bring the ph up some but there some dieoff of coraline and sponges.it doesnt stink but it cetainly needs time to cure,seems like a 2nd cycle

Builder Anthony

well decided to add the new lobo to the display tank,had to custom cut it at the base.it tightened up during all that and i damaged it by touching the fleshy areas.skeleton was exposed thew the cuts.now the odd thing is once it puffed up you could no longer see the damage and it took some rough handleing because it wouldnt sit right.i think it puffed up to covet its injurys but you cant see damage.it ate a few hours later.so the scape is a little different now.i did find a nice red feather duster with a bell shaped tube blocker on the other lobo.

another 25 percent water change on the lower tank,and i droped

some small dried up liverock in there.

mini terrorist pods continue to agrivate certain corals and me.

Builder Anthony

DSCF1861.jpg

DSCF1862.jpg

In the morning i turned the lights on to see the lobo attacking the baby plate that was growing out of the rock branch and hasnt yet detached itself from below.A single head of the lobo was produceing white sweepers not from the top of the lobophylia but rather from the underside of the head.They were sticking securely to 40 percent of the plate which was also produceing sweepers realized after the entanglement was seperated the plates top skin was damaged.Seperation caused lobophylia to retract from me dividing the mess with tweesers.Plate was picked clean of severed sweepers from lobo and produced a slime which in 5 min showed signs of browning.This was quickly suctioned off and both corals responded to shrimp feedings while still having sweepers out.Plates mouth was damaged but still ate.12 hours later the lobo shows no signs of sweepers seems fine.Plate has sections of flesh missing and food in damaged mouth.No signs of brown slime but missing flesh areas have retracted white sweepers tight to skeleton.

DSCF1863.jpg

Builder Anthony

Last 3 remaing zoas finaly seemed healthy enough to plug.

1 species lost to mini terriorist pods from them biting the zoa which produced brown slime in the hole they made

1 poylp left out of 2 of the yellows that seemed picky and closed after a correct water change,they closed up and the terriorists bit them,they are in the tupper ware with the new frags from aquatic imports.one polyp removed showing browning and the other one hasnt opened since the bite about three days ago.

One previous healthy polyp seems to be sending out sweepers with brown inside the sweepers but this may be one of the polyps i fed.

Flouresent atinics 14 watt to be ran at nite over the plate and lobo.

Lower frag tank after 2 water changes from display tank.....display got new water to refill it.

DSCF1864.jpg

Builder Anthony

Plate eating no signs of brown slime.Extremely lucky on this one.Lobos all seem fine.

Tupperware dish cleaned think diatoms were forming but

all the plugs are doing well.Decided to blast them with 14 watt atinic.

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

Oh the sheild i made for the mushrooms is causeing that orange acan to turn white,though i have been keeing the led mostly over the plate

ill run the atinic over the plate again tonight.

Builder Anthony

Cespitularia became unglued from plug showed signs very similar to the origional fraging.this may have been caused by tryen to wipe the bottom of the Cespitularia off from slime so it would stick well not realizing i may have damaged the newly formed tissue,or it was alergic to the glue.10 hours before the brown slime receeded and now turning purple,cutting has lost some mass presumeably from createing mucus but signs indicate healing.next plug attemt will be to rubberband it to a plug

all tanks 25 pecent water change

cerith eggs have turned playtonic with half of the second eggmass as well.eggs were not exposed to air during these changes.

Your ideas for feeding the LPS to help them heal from damage were good, but I would also suggest doing a simple lugol's iodine dip after that sort of mishap, I've found it really helpful in the past.

1 cup tankwater, 2 drops lugol's, 3 mins or so in dip then return to tank.

This will actually work on any type of coral, not just LPS.