Cultivated Reef

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Well .....sigh no sandbed and no filter is basicly createing a green and redish algae.corals are fighting it off slowly but its growing quicker then the corals.I don't know what to do filter wise.I don't know what's going to. Happen location. Wise I. . In like a week I have to see to see where the next jobsite is.

Unless you have ammonia you don't need a filter, water changes will do?

Why let algae take over I'm thinking....just kill off the algae that's an easy option. if your tank had no algae that would buy you some time.

Builder Anthony

Well I did a 100 percent water change and it really helped out.if I keep the lights on long I see. A algae boom so I try total keep the lights on just before the algae boom.I really like haven the seven flouresenrts and .that new keisel blue led.the blue from 5 atinics and the led are sweet.have to move the tub again soon

• 1 month later...
Builder Anthony

2 18 watt 10000k

4 18watt atinic

1 kessil 40 watt

1 T5 corallife

1 UV STERLIZER

1 MP10

No filter

I've had to move my setup from Austin to Huston then to Lombard Illinois then to elmhurst Illinois now back to Wisconsin.possibly moving to somewhere else for job....might be Arizona or la..So this is my emergency travel system.it lacks a filter and I figured I'd control thiings wig water changes but women and 80 hour work schudle kind of got me distracted.My main problem was no water changes and no filter along with long lights on.I just got back in Wisconsin to I grabbed my UV sterilizer and threw it in there.

Adult neon Toby on light purple and light green polyped coral

post-64274-0-68632100-1357088730_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Well I had to pick out a filter so I choose the nano 511 at petco.So far so good....the outflow isnt to bad and its like a little garden hose.

post-64274-0-15927900-1357255739_thumb.jpg

Did a 50 pecent water change and a few drops of perodide.The mp .10 is màkeing a wave.the uv sterlizers on.Plus the new filter.Ill be working on the wires i think.

post-64274-0-63648800-1357256362_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Well the wires won again confuseing me.I got this far before giveing up.i was just rethinking things and i might get a rubbermaid box and stuff all the wires in there.I could cut holes in

the side.It has to be portable.

post-64274-0-67330400-1357279571_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Trying to make this 100 percent portable.All i think is left is mounting lights.

1.Insulated the lower rubbermaid container with 5 layers of bubble wrap on the bottom two on its sides.

2.Stuffed all the wires into another rubbermaid container which has one hole in the bottom which i ran all my wires through.

Now one plug runs the entire setup.

3.Secured canister filter and airpump to rubbermaid container useing crankable straps.

post-64274-0-86579600-1357453225_thumb.jpg

post-64274-0-60372000-1357453427_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

8 hours on with one 18 watt atinic used as a moonlight intil about 2:am.All corals fed and a 50 percent water change later tonight.I could tell things are on the positive side now.Its booming just a little bit.

Rare coral unidentified

post-64274-0-58501300-1357777266_thumb.jpg

The 10 snails i bought a week ago cleaned up around the acans.

post-64274-0-83917400-1357777481_thumb.jpg

Expect algae on the walls after about two weeks with no sandbed or established filter

post-64274-0-41627800-1357777628_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Carpenter fixing hotels so i take this with when i leave town and live at the hotels for a long time.I was just gone six months.I work like 75 hours a week when thats going on and balanceing a woman i met there.I told her id somehow show her the bueaty of the ocean.I miss Mary.

Builder Anthony

Well its been a few days but i knew the morning i didnt see my neon goby something....aka fireworm....ate my goby.i got some adult fireworms in here and i know there hungry.Seen one eat some algae off the wall...im sure someone will doubt that but anyways sometimes i would see the fireworms really close to the neon goby and since he was homed in under the yellow green leather....welll he was sleepen on the floor.I know they ate him.

Im still on 8 hours on lights,been doen daily 1 gallon waterchanges.Algae is very minimal inmost the tank so thats great news..Just a few areas around corals need to be touched up.

On a side note the puffy favia that has a frag was really puffy.When i swicthed the current it collapsed tight to the skeleton and was spitfting out alot of brown stuff.Its out of flow and doeing ok but im going to be keeping a eye out for brown slime disease since im u nsurewhat all that brwon stuff was.The flow wasnt on it for so.etime and it was phffed up a few days and doing reaal well.I think it split out zooethelene it was useing to build itself.Kind of ticks me off and scares me.It shot out alot of stuff.heres a quick lights on photo.

post-64274-0-27821600-1358230612_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

New additions

Some weird leather blueish hasnt opened.No flipen heat pack but no real damage.

post-64274-0-47363200-1358490498_thumb.jpg

A chunk of neon green cabbage.Pretty bright....its next to the.sinulara so u can tell its bright.

post-64274-0-62127200-1358490733_thumb.jpg

You can see the eyes on the favia coming back and its good i moved stuff around since itll get more light.I was shading that side because of algae thats still present on the favia but there are tube things on there and the snails xont climb up there.Algae s3ms very under control now so ill just balance it out with the water chage tommrow.

Also a nice branch of elkhorn liverock with some blue strodium on it but this was effected by the cold the most.The mat was white with the polyps tucked in.Suprisely 85% of them opened so thell come back.

And like 7 blue green rimmed bullseyes which also were really ticked.3 fell off so ill give them to my nephew in a pico i set up before all my travels.Ill have to get pictures of those in different lighting.So tbis tank.....um rubbermaid thing is maxed out.I cleaned out my canister a day ings it grows on and its really awalys been a ago and this morno.g i could tell there was a spike in some thing so i brought the salt down to 21 from 26 and tommrow ill do a 75 percent water change.

Builder Anthony

Well i stoped by my nephews where i setup one of my nanos before leaveing for texas a few months ago and it looks real good so this weekend i droped a few things floating around in my tank but he kept his tank goen real good so this is like a little emergency tank.hes only 12 but doen great.here check it out.the leathwrs and xeina he grew.

post-64274-0-39500800-1358663359_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Well things are still in shock from a overnight shipment with no heat pack in zero degree windchill.The mushrooms have taken the hit the hardest with mouths open threw to the rock.i had two melt anx brown up and freak me out.i think 2 are detached under the scape so those will most likely die or shrink into nothing.They detached when i wasnt around and i have no clue where there at.i tried blowing under the rocks but dont see them anywhere.the green cabbage isnt expanding like it shoud but isnt browning out at all but i know its in shock.the white mat on the blue strodium is healing but its still white so im waiting o that so a dieoff of maybe 15 percent all together.im really suprised its coming back at all.the first day it was 90 percent closed and its like 85 percent open....the branching leather seems to ha e

Have yellow polyps but hasnt filled itself full of water since arrive but its slowing coming aroud.my neon silusinulara has been acting weird ever since i added these new leathers.and now i go to look at what else is going on and i basicly see the last mushroom dying.

Quick lights on

post-64274-0-59266200-1358747899_thumb.jpg

post-64274-0-83144700-1358747994_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Well i put the mushroom in a cup over night and just checkedon it it.It had a clear mucus around it.Went and got a small container and filled it with half tank water and some premixed saltwater thats been sitting two days.Some filame ts were detaching with very small spots of brown where the filaments were detaching.Placed a 18 watt atinic NEXT to the cobtainer so it doesnt heat up the contai er.and now just waiti

waiting.

post-64274-0-45290100-1358785124_thumb.jpg

On a sidenote the new cabbage has attached very well to the rock its on.That suprises me since its only been a couple of days.Somethings not right though with the water my damsel is heavy breathing again.this has been happening every few days.i have been feeding a little heavy but i been changeing the water.well i had like 2 gallons left of premixed water so i dumped that in there but i didnt take any out.Ill run a little bubble storm to make sure oxygen levels are up.Maybe its the ph jumping around in the morning but i havent a clue.

Builder Anthony

Nem has a bunch of balls covering its top.I seen one floating in the current as well.

post-64274-0-28503900-1359167773_thumb.jpg

Mp10 is off and filter is at the top of the waterline...the mushrooms ate toast but I did find one attached to the bottom of Rubbermaid container.Mmm my yellow clown goby has eaten a few flakes which surprised me.I sometimes throw some in for the damsel so after a year he's taken a bite.Still see the fireworks eaten algae off the sides of wall.They don't get enough food though so its out of hunger I guess.

Builder Anthony

Asteria starfish feeding on that new neon green leather.Actially just one of the bigger guys.i flick him off then i see him back on there a day later.its still attaching to the rocks.weird cabbage coral.i giess it reall wants to attach like real good.it like doesnt open.all the way but its not showing any ill signs but isnt expanded.it just likes collapseing onto the rocks.the starfish doesnt leave any visam not to worriedble wounds so im not to worried about it.seen a couple starfish sepedato g into twos and seen a couple of the noce rainbow ones in there.its cleaning the filter ontake bit cant get on there.no water changes 4 days maonly because of the nem shooting off those little brownish ehhs.the eggs stick to the top of the new and sort of come out of it all over.basicly those little sticky bumps.are tirnong into the ejectong eggs.i dont really see the eggs anywhere though like sticking to th walls or anything but there real.small.no problems tat i can think of.ob i think the ph is weird in mornings fosh sometimes breayh hard but after loghts o they seem fine.so maybe ots ph or the dieoff of algae in tbe tank woth no lights on

Builder Anthony

50 % water change yesterday

Blue strodium is showing minor blue gains in the mat

Neon cabbage seems happier

Baby plate overlaped by mushroom shows signs of degeneration.might be the bad half showing though

• 2 weeks later...
Builder Anthony

Havent done any water changes really but was topping off.i uasually feed one small frozen shrimp to this tank a day which is pretty heavy.so the algae on the walls kicked up a bit.i got about a 75 percent mix for tommrow so that should help.I havent seen any of those brown nem eggs and i only seen one but im sure it was a coral egg.anyways i look at the nem and it still has some bumps on it like before so i dont know whats going on with it.blue strodium is a little bluer but wish it was realy doing well..its in pretty descent loght i guess it just takes longer.theres some kind of cool green piorites on that new leathers rock but if i wait likw 6 months it will probally grow over them.but for now ill leave them be.it still has a blueish color so i think i sxored on a healthy leather.everything else is fine with acans and blasto really growing.everythinlling like coral yesterday but i dont want to have anything hit the wall so 75% change tommrow.once a week i might add 3 drops olf calicum and 3 drops of magnesium but i just teally do that to try and get purple.

IMG_20130209_201427.jpg