Coral Vue Hydros

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

Coral plus, blue plus, KZ Fiji purple, blue plus. Did you try that with the purple plus replacing the KZ? They're similar but not identical.

Also, the bulbs need about 100 hrs to burn in, the color changes slightly.

I did try Coral plus, blue plus, purple plus, and blue plus and it seemed even more purple and washed out...I'm gonna keep playing around and even leave some combos in for a couple weeks at a time to let the lights break in and me get used to them and then make a final decision.

Will switching bulbs around every couple of weeks piss of my corals? Should I avoid this?

Also, does the positioning of the bulbs front to back make much of a difference?

I did try Coral plus, blue plus, purple plus, and blue plus and it seemed even more purple and washed out...I'm gonna keep playing around and even leave some combos in for a couple weeks at a time to let the lights break in and me get used to them and then make a final decision.

Will switching bulbs around every couple of weeks piss of my corals? Should I avoid this?

Also, does the positioning of the bulbs front to back make much of a difference?

I've heard the same complaints about purple plus, never about KZ fiji purple.

It will hurt the growth of the coral, but not kill them.

It makes a difference, but no not much since T5s blend so well.

I've heard the same complaints about purple plus, never about KZ fiji purple. It will hurt the growth of the coral, but not kill them. It makes a difference, but no not much since T5s blend so well.

Ok, thanks. I may have to pickup a KZ fiji purple to try out.

Just changed out my terrible coralife bulbs for 2x ATI True Actinic and 2x ATI Coral Plus.... LOVE the look. They run much hotter too.

Corals seem to be responding real well already.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just got an ati 6x54 sunpower for my 75 gallon is this a good setup.

front

1.blue +

2. true actinic

3. blue +

4. coral +

5. blue +

6. purple +

back

it came with bulbs but I dont know how old they are.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through this thread. I'm upgrading as well. I'm running a Sundial 4x24w unit.

Right now I'm running:

Giesemann Aquablue+

Current Blue

Current Daylight 10K

Current Blue

I just ordered a KZ Fiji Purple & ATI Blue+ from BRS. I plan on running the setup as follows:

Giesemann Aquablue+

Current Blue

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

Obviously I'll need to try different combinations myself but do you guys think this is going to be a pretty decent configuration?

• 2 weeks later...

Its time to change the bulbs over my 40 breeder again.I have a nova extreme pro which currently has 3 ati blue plus 2 ati coral plus and 1 ati purple bulb.I would like a more bluish look to the tank,i'm thinking 4 ati blue plus and 2 coral plus,or should I go with 4 blue plus 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus?Any suggestions

Thanks

frankdontsurf

Glad to see this thread going. Seems corals look best at a few of my local LFS and they all seem to use T5 with a blue LED strip in there.

Nanofreak79

I just put a 36" 4 bulb ATI sun power on my tank. Changed from radion G3. I'll be supplementing with a diy blue led strip or similar.

Back:

Blue+

KZ Fiji purple

Blue+

KZ new gen

Front:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question.

I'm replacing my old under cabinet lights with LED strips (kitchen remodel). If I wanted to re-use these fixtures on a reef I only need to replace the bulbs (they are t5 size) and ballasts correct? Seems like a waste to get rid of fixtures that work fine if I could use them elsewhere.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

hey guys how does this combination sound?

Blue plus

Blue plus

aquablue special

Blue plus

Do you think it will be too blue? I'm looking for something in the range of 16000-18000

Nanofreak79
hey guys how does this combination sound?

Blue plus

Blue plus

aquablue special

Blue plus

Do you think it will be too blue? I'm looking for something in the range of 16000-18000

Here's a really good link, that I've used. It's very accurate IMO. I don't like the ABS bulbs, too yellow IMO and make colors off. Just my experience using that same combo.

http://blog.reefgeek.com/2013/07/popular-t5-bulb-combos.html

Here's a really good link, that I've used. It's very accurate IMO. I don't like the ABS bulbs, too yellow IMO and make colors off. Just my experience using that same combo. http://blog.reefgeek.com/2013/07/popular-t5-bulb-combos.html

i was using that as a reference aswell and found it very helpful. The thing is, i wanted to go a little more white than a 20k look. Would a coral plus be better than the aquablue special? It recommends the purple bulb for the 20k look but seeing i want it slightly more white i was going to go abs. But how does the CP sound with 3 Blue+

• Like 1

I like the coral plus combo or the Fiji, purple plus combo. I don't like the ABS, and think you probably won't either.

thanks. I'm going to go with the coral plus.

• Like 1

I hate the blue special. I just run two blue + and two coral +. It's little white but with my ati fixture I just have it peak when I'm not around to see :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

I currently run the 3 Blue+ 1 Coral+ and its an Icy Blue 18k. Run it with confidence...

I tried that 2 Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ that ReefGeek recommends for 12-14k but its not a blue undertone, its 14k with a pink undertone, kind of weird on a reef tank -_-

frankdontsurf

I currently run the 3 Blue+ 1 Coral+ and its an Icy Blue 18k. Run it with confidence...

I tried that 2 Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ that ReefGeek recommends for 12-14k but its not a blue undertone, its 14k with a pink undertone, kind of weird on a reef tank -_-

Unless you like the pinkish look, I do.