Cultivated Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

The stock pump is going out. Sometimes it doesn't turn on after dinner time.

I need to figure out how to take it apart as much as I can to clean/fix it, or figure out how to un-wire it from the lid so I can replace it...

It's wired through the lid? :wacko: Sucky. I hate cleaning return pumps.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's wired through the lid? :wacko: Sucky. I hate cleaning return pumps.

Yup. The previous owner wired it into the lid with an independent switch. Very convenient for feeding time, not so much if there's an issue with the pump...

Yup. The previous owner wired it into the lid with an independent switch. Very convenient for feeding time, not so much if there's an issue with the pump...

I'd click the "like" button...but I don't like this :lol:

The stock pump is going out. Sometimes it doesn't turn on after dinner time.

I need to figure out how to take it apart as much as I can to clean/fix it, or figure out how to un-wire it from the lid so I can replace it...

I've been stripping the hood on ours in preparation for new lights, so if it's similar to our hood it should be straight forward to remove.

Pull the three pins holding the hood in and lift the hood off. Remove the splash guard, then follow the cable from the pump to the switch. Unplug the cable and take out the pump. Then pull the pins from the power cable to the switch and remove the cable. Run in the new return power cable via the holes in the back of the hood. It should be a quick removal if it's wired in like that.

I've been stripping the hood on ours in preparation for new lights, so if it's similar to our hood it should be straight forward to remove.

Pull the three pins holding the hood in and lift the hood off. Remove the splash guard, then follow the cable from the pump to the switch. Unplug the cable and take out the pump. Then pull the pins from the power cable to the switch and remove the cable. Run in the new return power cable via the holes in the back of the hood. It should be a quick removal if it's wired in like that.

It's not wired into the existing switches... The return pump and circulation pump are both wired into the hood via added toggle switches on the front right and left.

I'm sure if I mess around with it carefully, I can switch it out. But there's no way I could wire a new one in!!

If only it was that easy...

Nothing's ever easy, hey? :)

I'm sure it won't be too painful to remove the old pump if you're not too concerned with wiring it back up to the switch, and if you can snap pics, I'm sure there's plenty of folk here that will offer advice. :)

Is there enough wire that you can at least pull it out of the back chamber? You could fill a small container with about 16 ounces of old tank water and kind of hold it up right next to the tank and rinse/clean the pump in there. Awkward...

Is there enough wire that you can at least pull it out of the back chamber? You could fill a small container with about 16 ounces of old tank water and kind of hold it up right next to the tank and rinse/clean the pump in there. Awkward...

Yeah, I got about a foot and a half of wire to work with... Very awkward.

I need to take a break for a while. Some personal issues are interfering with my work and quality of life. I need to make sure that I’ve got everything sorted out before I can come back. I’ll still keep my tanks up (try to) and hopefully it won’t be too long before I’m back with pics.

I need to take a break for a while. Some personal issues are interfering with my work and quality of life. I need to make sure that I’ve got everything sorted out before I can come back. I’ll still keep my tanks up (try to) and hopefully it won’t be too long before I’m back with pics.

:grouphug: since I don't wan to post the exact same thing as I did in your other thread...take care of yourself Kimber. The hobby's not going anywhere. :flower:

I need to take a break for a while. Some personal issues are interfering with my work and quality of life. I need to make sure that Ive got everything sorted out before I can come back. Ill still keep my tanks up (try to) and hopefully it wont be too long before Im back with pics.

Best of luck getting everything back on track! I've only just started following your tank builds, but look forward to your return, firing on all cylinders.

Sometimes life just gets in the way or takes a sharp turn. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to your return!

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

Yesterday was truly a hard day for me emotionally - I closed out of nano-reef (which keeps me occupied during the day), de-activated my Facebook, and turned off my phone. I realized that that was child-ish of me and wasn't addressing the real issue.

My BF and I are having major issues, and while I don't need or want to air my dirty laundry out to the internet world, or turn this into a he-said-she-said debate, it really comes down to a difference in wants and needs that are unable to be met for either party. It really sucks putting time and love into a relationship, only to watch it crumble as you try to pick up the pieces.

In truth, I will need Nano-Reef more than ever. He held my hand the whole way with my BioCube - so much so that when my return pump failed Sunday night at 11pm, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE IT WAS PLUGGED IN!! And now I am setting up tank #2 completely on my own. I'm confident that I can do it, but I will definitely need to know more than I already do. Apparently, I should be cleaning out my return pumps on a regular basis!!

My break from Nano-Reef was short lived. I need a good hobby to keep me busy and occupied. And you all are so nice, there's not a better place to get that help and support.

Thank you!!!

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

Yesterday was truly a hard day for me emotionally - I closed out of nano-reef (which keeps me occupied during the day), de-activated my Facebook, and turned off my phone. I realized that that was child-ish of me and wasn't addressing the real issue.

My BF and I are having major issues, and while I don't need or want to air my dirty laundry out to the internet world, or turn this into a he-said-she-said debate, it really comes down to a difference in wants and needs that are unable to be met for either party. It really sucks putting time and love into a relationship, only to watch it crumble as you try to pick up the pieces.

In truth, I will need Nano-Reef more than ever. He held my hand the whole way with my BioCube - so much so that when my return pump failed Sunday night at 11pm, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE IT WAS PLUGGED IN!! And now I am setting up tank #2 completely on my own. I'm confident that I can do it, but I will definitely need to know more than I already do. Apparently, I should be cleaning out my return pumps on a regular basis!!

My break from Nano-Reef was short lived. I need a good hobby to keep me busy and occupied. And you all are so nice, there's not a better place to get that help and support.

Thank you!!!

Well, since I'm new to this hobby, I probably can't be much help in that department, but I think immersing yourself in this hobby will be a great outlet to help you deal. Kudos to you, Kimberbee. You'll get through this. :grouphug:

Don't feel like you can't ask questions, or vent even if it is "airing" your life. I've used forums as an emotional dump site to get through some rough times. It can be therapeutic.

Don't feel like you can't ask questions, or vent even if it is "airing" your life. I've used forums as an emotional dump site to get through some rough times. It can be therapeutic.

Right, sometimes you just need to get it out there and out of your mind. It makes you feel better that your not keeping it inside all bottled up.

Wait, what? pumps need to be cleaned? :o:unsure:

I mean, when they don't turn back on, probably means it's due for a cleaning. I didn't know where it was plugged in, how to take it apart, or that it should be checked regularly!

I think I'll take Saturday to get tank #2 filled (hopefully if I can find sand I like), and get both cabinets organized. Also, will likely re-wire the plugs in my BC since I don't know what's what and I need another timer added for my third set of lights.

Also, I think there some saltwater drippage on my cords. I know that's not good...

Archived