SaltCritters.com

Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: March FTS

Polarcollision

I hope you were able to spend quality time with your grandmother. No worries about not posting :)

Pennsatucky! :) Love that show!

I like your serenity prayer better than mine :) Probably more on par with all of us and our addiction. Plus seahorses are just too cute to resist. Especially tennsy tiny ones!

Glad to hear the hatchery is working so well! Seems like you have a great plan and lots of ideas to get this system running well!

• Like 1

I hope you were able to spend quality time with your grandmother. No worries about not posting :)

Pennsatucky! :) Love that show!

I like your serenity prayer better than mine :) Probably more on par with all of us and our addiction. Plus seahorses are just too cute to resist. Especially tennsy tiny ones!

Glad to hear the hatchery is working so well! Seems like you have a great plan and lots of ideas to get this system running well!

I enjoyed both of your serenity prayers immensely! I am going to enjoy updates to this thread to.
  • Like 2

I just caught up on your thread and am excited to see someone else with the dwarfs! I've had them since October, but don't have a build thread going yet. I got them from the same place you did, with excellent service, and they're all doing great. They've served as a great research project for my 5th graders and are just plain cute as well! Looking forward to updates on yours to see how they progress :)

• Like 4

I just caught up on your thread and am excited to see someone else with the dwarfs! I've had them since October, but don't have a build thread going yet. I got them from the same place you did, with excellent service, and they're all doing great. They've served as a great research project for my 5th graders and are just plain cute as well! Looking forward to updates on yours to see how they progress :)

You need to get a thread going, we would love to follow.

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Hi hinnenkm! Thanks for stopping by. You're the first person I've come across who's keeping them also. They are the cutest little things, aren't they? It's fascinating to watch their tiny eyes scan for bbs, and then the way they stretch out to snick them up. Would love to keep up with your seahorses--start a thread! :-) Have yours begun to breed? I've yet to see them do the mating dance, but I think the current may be a little too high. I read 10-20x turnover per hour is a good range, so I put in a mj600 pump with 20x turnover for the gorgonians, but they can't out swim the current near the return filter. The next smaller is the mj400 which I'll be ordering this week.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

POM POM EGGS!

LFS had 3 pom pom crabs and were kind enough to catch all of them so I could look at their underbelly plates. Two looked the same and one was different, though I couldn't tell if either had the wider plates of females. The different one was also a brighter salmon pink, where the two similar were more a pale magenta pink. Anyways I took one of each type on a gamble. Just a couple of days in the tank and the salmon pink crab is confirmed FEMALE. Check out that bright orange belly! (sorry about the grainy iphone phone pics)

More free fish food!

jfDapYo.jpg

vM9nLDR.jpg

• Like 7

Hi hinnenkm! Thanks for stopping by. You're the first person I've come across who's keeping them also. They are the cutest little things, aren't they? It's fascinating to watch their tiny eyes scan for bbs, and then the way they stretch out to snick them up. Would love to keep up with your seahorses--start a thread! :-) Have yours begun to breed? I've yet to see them do the mating dance, but I think the current may be a little too high. I read 10-20x turnover per hour is a good range, so I put in a mj600 pump with 20x turnover for the gorgonians, but they can't out swim the current near the return filter. The next smaller is the mj400 which I'll be ordering this week.

I do need to get a thread going and will try to within the next week. I'm bad at updates though, but I put a bunch of reef stuff and the dwarfs on Instagram (kmorris0686) though!

They are super cute and I've got a few males who are pregnant and some others have been doing the mating dance :)

I had 3 that I had gotten originally and now have 6 more so that I could have some males. They're all in just a small betta tank with Florida sand and flame algae - definitely don't have to worry about flow with it, but I do have to keep up on water changes. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours progress! Enjoy :)

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Figured out how to upload video from the phone! Enjoy, seahorse lovers!

Also, check out the new corals from Stellablue: 2 types of branching coraline, green silularia, and 2 red macros tucked in around the sides. Seahorses really like the rigid branching red macro.

• Like 7
Polarcollision

The tank is looking GREAT!!!! great spot for the sinularia too. Those seahorses are so stinking cute.

:-) Wow! I like those exclamation points. The sinularia is going to be the central focus when it grows up. Such a pretty color of green. I LOVE it!! It's getting more settled in each day and looks even better now than the video shows.

I love the gorgonians as trees in there, they make a statement.

They sure do. I'm so unsure how to scape the tank. The macro has to stay fairly large for the mandy's food and the gorgs need the higher flow from the return pump. I'm hoping to get more zoas transferred from the big tank to cover the rocks and maybe a few more sponges and softies too. Starting to understand the flower nem fever...they would look great in there. Too bad they don't play well with dwarfs.

Great vid! Wonderful little seahorses! Your Mandy stole the show with the swim by

She did, didn't she. It's funny how she's suddenly out front now that the sinularia and branching coralline are added. Must be feeling more comfy.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great! The tiny seahorse is so adorable! Glad to see the blue sponge is hanging in there for you :) Btw, did your feather duster worm multiply or did you just buy a ton of them? They're awesome!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Looks great! The tiny seahorse is so adorable! Glad to see the blue sponge is hanging in there for you :) Btw, did your feather duster worm multiply or did you just buy a ton of them? They're awesome!

His tummy is bigger than I remember. I'll be paying extra close attention this week to see if it's food or babies. :-) The blue sponge is definitely happy now and I'm sure it will take off in no time. I made the toadstool mad by gluing shut a spaghetti worm cave next to it. Darn worm kept pulling the sinularia frag off it's rock. So the toadstool was closed up when I made the video. It's back out and happy now.

I put one feather duster in the tank last year... they're pretty happy multiplying like rabbits and using up nutrients in both tanks. Every once in a while I'll see a little mini duster float by to it's new location.

I'm crossing my fingers your birdsnest makes the 2-day trip!! Sorry about the box tape (you'll see tomorrow). The guy at the post office desk wouldn't take the package until I bought his special roll of clear tape. He was so rude about it that I took up his time taping it more than necessary...

• Like 2

Oh goodness! Sorry to hear USPS gave you issues. I sure hope the package makes it tomorrow with the luck we've been having! I don't mind a bit of extra tape. He deserved it for being rude.

Yeah the seahorse definitely looks fat and happy! Babies would be so fun! Glad to hear the toadstool is doing well too. Mine close up all the time when I do things that irritate them, but they're so hardy that it never bothers them for long. Considering those two made it after a 4 day trip, I'll go ahead and declare them indestructible.

I did not know the big feather dusters multiplied like that! I've got the tiny feather dusters all over my live rock, but I've never seen someone have the big decorative ones multiply like that. I've only ever owned one back when I first had my 10 gallon and it didn't survive very long, so I've never gotten another one. Maybe I'll have to try one again at some point! They're so cool :)

Made another quick iPhone video of the dwarf seahorse tank. Enjoy!

The dwarf seahorse tank looks awesome. I really love it. I guess your auto bbs hatchery is working terrifically! I can feel my resolve not to start another tank disintegrating. It would be fun to convert a standard 10g into an AIO dwarf tank. Its a thought for the future maybe......
  • Like 2
Polarcollision

The dwarf seahorse tank looks awesome. I really love it. I guess your auto bbs hatchery is working terrifically! I can feel my resolve not to start another tank disintegrating. It would be fun to convert a standard 10g into an AIO dwarf tank. Its a thought for the future maybe......

Yes, it really is doing a great job hatching bbs. I struck a compromise between seahorses needing to eat constantly and gorgonians needing flow by alternating pumps off for 12, on for 18 min. The only issue is that the water level falls 1" when pumps are off, so the cyst casings from previous hatchings can be let into the tank. I'll slightly modify the hatchery to prevent this in the next version. I lost one dwarf earlier this week. Current suspects are either the spaghetti worms, bristle worms, or the larger brittle stars. Pom pom crabs have been hanging out right next to them and don't seem to view seahorses as food, though maybe it's different at night.

Oh goodness! Sorry to hear USPS gave you issues. I sure hope the package makes it tomorrow with the luck we've been having! I don't mind a bit of extra tape. He deserved it for being rude.

Yeah the seahorse definitely looks fat and happy! Babies would be so fun! Glad to hear the toadstool is doing well too. Mine close up all the time when I do things that irritate them, but they're so hardy that it never bothers them for long. Considering those two made it after a 4 day trip, I'll go ahead and declare them indestructible.

I did not know the big feather dusters multiplied like that! I've got the tiny feather dusters all over my live rock, but I've never seen someone have the big decorative ones multiply like that. I've only ever owned one back when I first had my 10 gallon and it didn't survive very long, so I've never gotten another one. Maybe I'll have to try one again at some point! They're so cool :)

You can count the green toadstool as indestructible for sure. They'll be around long after we're gone with cockroaches to keep them company. :-)

Yeah, this kind does. I had a few babies come in on a rock for the Nuvo 24 and they quickly took over the entire back of the tank. They're consistently ripped out of the front whenever they try to invade coral territory. Feel bad killing them so I toss them in the little Nuvo 8. The heater chamber in the 8 is 100% filled with tiny ones. There's literally no view to the bottom...

I love the multiplying feathers. I have one and it's been testing the waters for a week. It's only come out half so far.

These like LOTS of flow. See if it helps to put it in a good current, like what SPS get. The thickest patch of these grow right in front of the WP25 power head and have filled in the arch on the left side of the Nuvo24. Light intensity doesn't seem to matter at all. They also need nutrient rich water or lots of small particle foods to build their tube. I feed reef chili and sponge power. Pretty sure the dusters eat it all. If that doesn't work, maybe a fish, shrimp, or crab is nibbling?

• Like 3

Any dwarf babies yet? Curious to see when you have them how it goes. I had 5 babies and got some to about triple their size (which is still super small), but then one day couldn't find any of them - I even did a deep clean of the tank and didn't come across anything, so I'm pretty confused, but it also looks like I have another round coming because some of the males are getting big again.

If you have babies, it'd be great to see how far you can get them!

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Any dwarf babies yet? Curious to see when you have them how it goes. I had 5 babies and got some to about triple their size (which is still super small), but then one day couldn't find any of them - I even did a deep clean of the tank and didn't come across anything, so I'm pretty confused, but it also looks like I have another round coming because some of the males are getting big again.

If you have babies, it'd be great to see how far you can get them!

Not yet. I noticed one male shaking near the yellow pony and his belly seems to be bigger, but it might be just food. How quickly do they look hugely pregnant?

• Like 2
  • Polarcollision changed the title to Polarcollision's Nuvo 24: FTV & new Apex