Innovative Marine Aquariums

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

LOL that is epic!

It looks ghetto now but in a month or two it will look completely normal. Hell, I may even glue another frag where the putty is (there's still another little 1.5" piece on the sand bed) just to make the big lump where the putty is less noticeable.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Sucks about that digi, I would have never even thought about using putty. I'm sure it'll be covered up in no time and you'll never even notice the stuff. I've been wanting to go over and snag a few frags but I've noticed montipora nudi's on my two caps and don't want to chance bringing in more frags and putting them at risk. I've dipped them in that one shot stuff that claims to kill just about every thing including those little fuggers along with adding a six line wrasse just for good measure. So what made you decide to swap the old sand bed out.

Do you think changing out the old and with the new will make a little spike in your tank?

I hope not! I siphoned out the sand so it wasn't disrupted all that much. Just as a precautionary measure I up'd the GFO and carbon.

Sucks about that digi, I would have never even thought about using putty. I'm sure it'll be covered up in no time and you'll never even notice the stuff. I've been wanting to go over and snag a few frags but I've noticed montipora nudi's on my two caps and don't want to chance bringing in more frags and putting them at risk. I've dipped them in that one shot stuff that claims to kill just about every thing including those little fuggers along with adding a six line wrasse just for good measure. So what made you decide to swap the old sand bed out.

If the six line doesn't work a yellow coris will for sure.

I swapped out the sand because I was getting constant cyano outbreaks for the last month or so. Even though I vacuum the sand with just about every water change it had just accumulated too much crap. For some reason I kinda lost interest in the tank and it has still done pretty well over all. I've since decided to put in a little effort to see what I can do with it. Hence the change. I might even start testing parameters and tweaking my dosing for added stability. Basically, it's on! Hahaha

gulfsurfer101

I've felt that way before for sure, but never can stay dry to long for some reason. If there was 12step programs to attend I'd probably be a spokesman. What did you do with that sand. I could use it for 150g if you wanna a couple bucks for it if you still have it.

jedimasterben

What are you dipping them in? Bayer Advanced with germ killer will destroy them and their eggs.

omg, no losing interest! YOU MUST GROW ME CORALS! So I can buy next time I have $$
Don't worry, I can frag my corals anytime.

I've felt that way before for sure, but never can stay dry to long for some reason. If there was 12step programs to attend I'd probably be a spokesman. What did you do with that sand. I could use it for 150g if you wanna a couple bucks for it if you still have it.
I already threw away the old sand, sorry man.
gulfsurfer101

No problem, and thanks for that tip jedimb, I'll have to search how that is done because it sounds cheaper than using the one shot quick dip repeadetly. Both my caps are in qt under close observation and I have noticed no more tissue damage, actual nudi's and or eggs. I have the weekend off if your available Glenn so I can swing by and check out what you got in the bohemoth tank. I'm gonna want a frag of each of the two monti's for sure though.

Just curious how much of the 2 part B ionic you are dosing?

I switched over to DIY BRS 2 part because the cost of using B-Ionics was getting too high. I'll have to double check my doser, but I'm pretty sure I'm at about 140ml per day of each.

No problem, and thanks for that tip jedimb, I'll have to search how that is done because it sounds cheaper than using the one shot quick dip repeadetly. Both my caps are in qt under close observation and I have noticed no more tissue damage, actual nudi's and or eggs. I have the weekend off if your available Glenn so I can swing by and check out what you got in the bohemoth tank. I'm gonna want a frag of each of the two monti's for sure though.

I'll be around this weekend. Text me when you want to come by.

Did you have any nassarius or dwarf cerith snails Glen? I've been wanting to get rid of my sand but don't want to suck up any dwarf ceriths so I put a mesh from craftstore over the siphon tube but it plugs up after a few seconds and is frustrating :(

Did you have any nassarius or dwarf cerith snails Glen? I've been wanting to get rid of my sand but don't want to suck up any dwarf ceriths so I put a mesh from craftstore over the siphon tube but it plugs up after a few seconds and is frustrating :(

No I don't / didn't....but that sounds like a real p.i.t.a.!

The tank is clear and all livestock looks great :). I think my sand change was a success. Also, no cyano so far!

No I don't / didn't....but that sounds like a real p.i.t.a.!

The tank is clear and all livestock looks great :). I think my sand change was a success. Also, no cyano so far!

Excellent! And your tanks have deserved TOTM for many years now. I've always been impressed with your builds.

any pics of the aquascape when you first started/without corals? great looking tank :)

This is probably the oldest one I have.e127f6db.jpg

Maybe not....these are older.5d29372a.jpg6265a41c.jpg

Excellent! And your tanks have deserved TOTM for many years now. I've always been impressed with your builds.

Thanks!
  • 2 weeks later...

So, are you going to sell me that maze brain yet? :P

Nope :)

But how 'bout a few pics of the frag tank? It's getting pretty full...

Hammer time!

a60b9642-e3cc-4d6c-b19d-589d23bfcd22.jpg

Plates are starting to grow on me :)

c4a98d85-5819-4722-8e35-172b22238fd9.jpg

20130802_121222.jpg

These were taken with my phone and the light on this side of the tank wasn't even on. LPS colors are insane...

Archived