Coral Vue Hydros

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Glen, I am so damn impressed it isn't even funny! I must say I am slightly envious...
I need to get a new tank running so I can rescape, restart, and relive the 40 breeder dream.

Glen, I am so damn impressed it isn't even funny! I must say I am slightly envious...

I need to get a new tank running so I can rescape, restart, and relive the 40 breeder dream.

Thanks man! I guess I owe a lot of the credit to you :). When I first started getting into SPS you were the one that helped me understand how Alk, Ca, and Mg were used in an SPS tank, and how important it is to keep them all balanced.

Yeah man, you should definitely set up another 40. What you accomplished YEARS ago would still be worthy of TOTM today. You were pretty much in a league of your own back then.

Thanks man! I guess I owe a lot of the credit to you :). When I first started getting into SPS you were the one that helped me understand how Alk, Ca, and Mg were used in an SPS tank, and how important it is to keep them all balanced.

Yeah man, you should definitely set up another 40. What you accomplished YEARS ago would still be worthy of TOTM today. You were pretty much in a league of your own back then.

Thanks man, that means a lot to me. I really enjoyed the process of reefing, but helping others succeed was high on my list of enjoyable parts of the hobby.

I hope to make TOTM one of these days :)

• 3 weeks later...
jedimasterben

I'm curious, how can you tell that too much air is getting into the skimmer?

I couldn't agree more! While I loved my 302 I had been using on my 40, I wouldn't use it on anything much bigger. Now my little sro-1000, now that I've got it dialed in (actually had to restrict the air flow a little. The pump draws too much air for the small body.) it skims like a beast. I've never seen so much gunk pulled from my tank so fast..

In case you missed it on Lawn's thread :)
Sorry, I did miss it! I'm on my phone now, but I'll explain in the morning when I can post from something with an actual keyboard.

Basically, bubble size and the inability to control water height in the skimmer body.

Really nice to see an actual display tank with nice colonies instead of a billion little frags with the intention of always having a billion little frags!

Now for some updated pics :)

Really nice to see an actual display tank with nice colonies instead of a billion little frags with the intention of always having a billion little frags!

Now for some updated pics :)

It looks the same, but worse. I almost nuked the tank by letting the alk levels get all out of control. Everything looks ok except for my tubbs bn colony. It's pretty much fried. All of my clove polyps are withering away too. I'm kinda bummed about that.

It looks the same, but worse. I almost nuked the tank by letting the alk levels get all out of control. Everything looks ok except for my tubbs bn colony. It's pretty much fried. All of my clove polyps are withering away too. I'm kinda bummed about that.

Well that's no good man :( Hopefully they can rebound. Shouldn't take long for them to grow back if you can salvage some atleast :)

Well that's no good man :( Hopefully they can rebound. Shouldn't take long for them to grow back if you can salvage some atleast :)

They've always been a pain in the ass for me. I've had them for years but they didn't really start to take off until about 6 months ago. I hope you're right and they do recover.

They've always been a pain in the ass for me. I've had them for years but they didn't really start to take off until about 6 months ago. I hope you're right and they do recover.

They are both fairly hardy so you have that in your favor atleast. Goodluck :)

You're welcome to send some colonies my way... You know... If you ever get too many... And can't sell them fast enough...
I'm actually considering starting this tank over so I may take you up on that. I kinda want more of a mixed reef now.

Hey did you do that little experiment that we were talking about lastnight??
I forgot to get the syringe. It's on my list for tomorrow though. I also forgot to ship an iphone I sold on ebay last night....I'm losing it in my old age!!

I can't grow Clove Polyps, I'm not sure why not. Can you explain the alk issues and how you are dosing and such. My 40 is unstable as hell ... I was up to dosing 25ml each morning and another 20 in the evening just to try and maintain 8KH. I gave up and went back to a previous plan where I put Seachem Reef Builder in my topoff water and I still have to dose an extra 10ml each morning. I think it's time for me to buy dosers.

Ok, now for a more descriptive answer. The skimmer pretty much didn't work at all because the pump was sucking in so much air that it made too many bubbles for the skimmer body to handle, even when I put it in ~4" of water. I did however get it to settle down a little by raising the skimmer up so hight that the pump was just barely submerged. That worked ok, until after I fed the tank. After feeding the skimmer would go nuts and overflow the cup.

It was pretty obvious that the bubble blaster isn't really the best pump for the little body on this skimmer (it's way to strong) so I installed a valve at the end of the little silencer thing (I always forget what it's called). That allowed me to lower the skimmer back down and also made for a much more consistent water level in the body. This thing now honestly skims like nothing I've ever had before. I can get about 1/3 of the cup filled with thick, nasty skimmate in about 2 days. It also doesn't overflow anymore, and there is virtually no turbulance in the body. Thing is a little beast now.

If and when I upgrade to a larger tank I plan to just replace the body with something bigger (I'm thinking something like a ro 150 would be a good match for this pump), and keep sing the pump.

Real question is hows that rainbow monti?

It started to lose a little tissue when things were all jacked up so I immediately moved it to the big tank. It's doing well there. Still hasn't shown any growth, but that little booger size frag has awesome coloring.

I can't grow Clove Polyps, I'm not sure why not. Can you explain the alk issues and how you are dosing and such. My 40 is unstable as hell ... I was up to dosing 25ml each morning and another 20 in the evening just to try and maintain 8KH. I gave up and went back to a previous plan where I put Seachem Reef Builder in my topoff water and I still have to dose an extra 10ml each morning. I think it's time for me to buy dosers.

Basically my tank got completely neglected for a little over a month (I was already do for a wc before I got sick). I'm guessing that the mg levels dropped really low since I don't dose for mg, I just rely on wc's for that. That likely caused alk and ca to get out of balance. My alk levels got up to ~13dkh (API) which caused a lot of stress to my corals. Most didn't miss a beat, but the cloves and the tubbs bn are in bad shape.

I was dosing 140ml of alk (BRS diy), and 110ml of ca (BRS diy) daily through a dosing pump. Now I'm currently not dosing at all, while trying to get things back in check. I'm doing 5g wc's everyday right now.

Time to bump.gif this sh!t and demand a FTS!!

Since my kandy buying ban was lifted today, i need to do sum window shopping, now show me the goodz!!!!!!

Well, you showed yours when it was in bad shape, I suppose I could show mine too, lol. Should I at least scrape the coralline first?

Oh, and my little bonsai colony completely browned out. My pearlberry looks just fine though :)

Archived