Cultivated Reef

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't used to, but I've really grown quite fond of Acans. That's a nice collection you have there!

Thanks! They are pretty sweet. Crazy colors on lps...

Not satisfied :P

Sorry bud, my tank is pretty boring. I haven't added anything new in a long time so there isn't much to take pics of. I might start dosing VC in this tank. I've been dosing VC in my frag system and have definitely seen positive results, even in some of the SPS. My sunset monti (which is in the frag tank) has much brighter green polyps since I started dosing the VC.

I want!

Me too! Wednesday also happens to be my b day. Gonna be a nice little present to myself.

jedimasterben

Sorry bud, my tank is pretty boring. I haven't added anything new in a long time so there isn't much to take pics of. I might start dosing VC in this tank. I've been dosing VC in my frag system and have definitely seen positive results, even in some of the SPS. My sunset monti (which is in the frag tank) has much brighter green polyps since I started dosing the VC.

Bullshit. Your tank is anything but boring. I love you have just a few different corals, but they're large colonies. I look at your tank as inspiration. :)

Last night I took out most of my rockwork that I could not really add corals to (without completely destroying them with light and having no room for vertical growth), I want to go even more minimal, but I have some pieces that have been with me for almost two years now that I'm too attached to.

Vitamin C is pretty rad. I had a lot of zoas that I thought had completely died that are all open right now :)

Bullshit. Your tank is anything but boring. I love you

Hahaha I love you too bro. Jk man, it just stood out, I couldn't resist. Anyway, thanks for the compliments! If my tank wasn't covered in bubble algae and aiptasia I would probably post more pics. Oh well...

Puffers thread on rc is way too long lol

No doubt. I swear I went cross eyed trying to read the whole thing. I'm at 2,000mg's twice a day (in the frag tank) and am very happy with the results I'm seeing. I have no plans to up the dosage at this point.

jedimasterben

Hahaha I love you too bro. Jk man, it just stood out, I couldn't resist. Anyway, thanks for the compliments! If my tank wasn't covered in bubble algae and aiptasia I would probably post more pics. Oh well...

lol, I love how I left words out of it that made it better :)

Hey, I counted 34 aiptasia today in my tank, and I have more bubble algae than I can fathom, and I STILL posted pics. You have NO excuse! lol

No doubt. I swear I went cross eyed trying to read the whole thing. I'm at 2,000mg's twice a day (in the frag tank) and am very happy with the results I'm seeing. I have no plans to up the dosage at this point.

I've been dosing about a teaspoon in my tank (should be around 14ppm-ish) when I remember to. I'm probably gonna back it down to the lowest amount soon... I'm considering ditching the skimmer again and going full algae scrubber. I swear, my SPS grew so much better when I didn't have a skimmer running. I think I'd buy a small HOB skimmer, like a Reef Octopus or something that's actually good, and run it at least part time, though, to have the best of both worlds without the skimmer taking a lot away from the scrubber, and I can keep dosing VC.

lol, I love how I left words out of it that made it better :)

Hey, I counted 34 aiptasia today in my tank, and I have more bubble algae than I can fathom, and I STILL posted pics. You have NO excuse! lol

I've been dosing about a teaspoon in my tank (should be around 14ppm-ish) when I remember to. I'm probably gonna back it down to the lowest amount soon... I'm considering ditching the skimmer again and going full algae scrubber. I swear, my SPS grew so much better when I didn't have a skimmer running. I think I'd buy a small HOB skimmer, like a Reef Octopus or something that's actually good, and run it at least part time, though, to have the best of both worlds without the skimmer taking a lot away from the scrubber, and I can keep dosing VC.

This is a testament to the fact that each system is different and no one method is right. I forgot turn my skimmer back on for a few days after cleaning the cup and my tank looked like it was about to crash. My SPS were not happy. I'm keeping my skimmer!

Did you see any noticeable difference in your SPS once you started VC dosing?

jedimasterben

The two SPS that I had were literally on the brink of death, and have been for around five months now. They don't get better, they don't get worse. I didn't notice anything in them when I started dosing, but my LPS and zoanthids recovered from their funk immediately. If only I hadn't lost all my acans. :(

I had several SPS pieces that doubled in size during the time I went without a skimmer, before they did not grow. I can't attribute that to the algae scrubber necessarily, but more than likely just to stability that comes with age. The 'base' filter of this tank is going on two years now, but I've changed out a lot of the rock and sand.

The two SPS that I had were literally on the brink of death, and have been for around five months now. They don't get better, they don't get worse. I didn't notice anything in them when I started dosing, but my LPS and zoanthids recovered from their funk immediately. If only I hadn't lost all my acans. :(

I had several SPS pieces that doubled in size during the time I went without a skimmer, before they did not grow. I can't attribute that to the algae scrubber necessarily, but more than likely just to stability that comes with age. The 'base' filter of this tank is going on two years now, but I've changed out a lot of the rock and sand.

I know a guy that's got plenty of sweet acans ;)

Does this count? Im picking up a frag from this little mini colony wednesday :)

buse4aje.jpg

That's pretty nice! It's hard to find a rainbow monti that is that colorful.

BattleAthletics

Where did you buy your bottle at? Powder or compounded?

I shot these pics with my waterproof p&s camera. The colonies are getting so big that no matter how far back I would get I couldn't fit a couple of them in the frame completely.

jedimasterben

damnit, i need new pants again from just thinking about that.

DAMN YOU GLENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

:)

Ewwww, this isn't the bro-love thread!

Also, looking good, Glenn!

BattleAthletics

1310650820313.jpg

Archived