Cultivated Reef

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ewwww, this isn't the bro-love thread!

Also, looking good, Glenn!

Lol, and thanks :)

All wow, my jaw just dropped! Looking great Glenn and those colonies are insane especially the last photo. Amazing

I wish I had that yellow porites. So gorgeous. Looks great!

Thank you!

I wish I had that yellow porites. So gorgeous. Looks great!

Liveaquaria has small to medium colonies for dirt cheap all the time.

You think this tank is boring? Very nice to see an update ... more please.

Boring in the sense that there's rarely anything new to update the thread about. I might take a couple things from the frag tank and put them in the 40. If I do, I'll post pics.

I was so bummed when the tank went through a semi-crash that I never posted pics of the fish I added to replace the ones that died. Maybe I'll do that soon too.

BattleAthletics

I was so bummed when the tank went through a semi-crash that I never posted pics of the fish I added to replace the ones that died. Maybe I'll do that soon too.

Hurry and get that monti.

• 2 weeks later...

So what all fish do you have in there now?

Sorry, I don't check my thread often. Currently I have a kole tang, a pair of clownfish, 3 blue chromis, a lyretail anthias, and I got a flame angel a couple days ago. My yllow coris wrasse literally disappeared one day. I've had him for years and he was HUGE. I checked all around the tank and he didn't jump. I have no idea what happened :(.

• 3 weeks later...

What about those reefbreeders fixtures? I would like something that is controllable (at least dimmable) so I don't fry my corals initially, and because I would like to have more light on the SPS side of the tank. I'm all about DIY, but not in this case. I would much rather buy a few fixtures w/ built in controllers/timers and be done with it.

How many fixtures, and which ones should I go with? FYI, I need to be able to suspend the lights about 2' above the tank so I can access the corals easily.

Pretty much, the Evergrow fixtures are good for about a 24"x24" area with high PAR at 24" or so, but for a frag tank that's shallow, you can raise them high and still get great growth, especially if you have them with 60 degree lenses on them.

They have different sized fixtures in their dimmable series. To cover the 36" width of the tank, you'd need to use their 24" fixtures, and probably 40 degree optics for the 2' hang height. You'd need three of them for a 72" tank.

Do you have access to a PAR meter?

Pretty much, the Evergrow fixtures are good for about a 24"x24" area with high PAR at 24" or so, but for a frag tank that's shallow, you can raise them high and still get great growth, especially if you have them with 60 degree lenses on them.

They have different sized fixtures in their dimmable series. To cover the 36" width of the tank, you'd need to use their 24" fixtures, and probably 40 degree optics for the 2' hang height. You'd need three of them for a 72" tank.

Do you have access to a PAR meter?

No I don't know anyone with a par meter. I checked out the evergrow fixtures on ebay and they are much cheaper than I expected. It looks like I can light the frag tank for $600 or so. I'm still going to hold off for a while, but man do I hope these LED's can work. It would save me a good amount of money in the long run. Thanks for your help!

Archived