Coral Vue Hydros

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

Hi!

IMO a fresh tank always consumes Calcium Carbonate and Mg untill it settles down.Thats why it is so hard keeping stable params.

In a SPS tank I would stay close to NSW params and Alcalinity near 7 dKh.

I am battling 2-3 aptaisias ATM with H2O2 35%,and Red Bubble algae every week with manual removal...

Same problems here so my regards from Greece and respect!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Ok, now for a more descriptive answer. The skimmer pretty much didn't work at all because the pump was sucking in so much air that it made too many bubbles for the skimmer body to handle, even when I put it in ~4" of water. I did however get it to settle down a little by raising the skimmer up so hight that the pump was just barely submerged. That worked ok, until after I fed the tank. After feeding the skimmer would go nuts and overflow the cup.

It was pretty obvious that the bubble blaster isn't really the best pump for the little body on this skimmer (it's way to strong) so I installed a valve at the end of the little silencer thing (I always forget what it's called). That allowed me to lower the skimmer back down and also made for a much more consistent water level in the body. This thing now honestly skims like nothing I've ever had before. I can get about 1/3 of the cup filled with thick, nasty skimmate in about 2 days. It also doesn't overflow anymore, and there is virtually no turbulance in the body. Thing is a little beast now.

If and when I upgrade to a larger tank I plan to just replace the body with something bigger (I'm thinking something like a ro 150 would be a good match for this pump), and keep sing the pump.

Hmm, that may be why I cannot get mine to skim wet. I have to have the valve basically closed to get the bubbles up near the neck. I have it at 6.25" water depth, but I can drop it down another 1-1.5" or so on the stand I have it on. If that doesn't work, I'll try putting a valve on the intake. The skimmate I get is black as knobs, and I have to clean the skimmer neck daily to keep it going, it gets completely gunked up with a thick layer otherwise.

I know that the Bubble Blaster 2000 is completely maxing out the DWB-150 body, I wonder if they'd send me the body for the DWB-200. Hmm.

Hi!

IMO a fresh tank always consumes Calcium Carbonate and Mg untill it settles down.Thats why it is so hard keeping stable params.

In a SPS tank I would stay close to NSW params and Alcalinity near 7 dKh.

I am battling 2-3 aptaisias ATM with H2O2 35%,and Red Bubble algae every week with manual removal...

Same problems here so my regards from Greece and respect!

Thanks man! But this is far from a new tank :).

Hmm, that may be why I cannot get mine to skim wet. I have to have the valve basically closed to get the bubbles up near the neck. I have it at 6.25" water depth, but I can drop it down another 1-1.5" or so on the stand I have it on. If that doesn't work, I'll try putting a valve on the intake. The skimmate I get is black as knobs, and I have to clean the skimmer neck daily to keep it going, it gets completely gunked up with a thick layer otherwise.

I know that the Bubble Blaster 2000 is completely maxing out the DWB-150 body, I wonder if they'd send me the body for the DWB-200. Hmm.

Yeah man, give it a shot. You can get a valve and tubing to connect it for under $10. Couldn't hurt to try. It made a huge difference for me :).

jedimasterben

Yeah man, give it a shot. You can get a valve and tubing to connect it for under $10. Couldn't hurt to try. It made a huge difference for me :).

It's hooked up to a CO2 scrubber now, and I have a valve already for that, so it wouldn't cost me anything :)

It's hooked up to a CO2 scrubber now, and I have a valve already for that, so it wouldn't cost me anything :)

Might as well try it out then!

IMGP1376_zps863a7578.jpg

Not technically in the 40 anymore, but the pic came out ok. Just thought I'd share it :).

I'm not a big monti fan but that things pretty! :) Does it have a name?? lol

IMGP1376_zps863a7578.jpg

Not technically in the 40 anymore, but the pic came out ok. Just thought I'd share it :).

Nice Starburst monti. Nice piece. I just got a frag acouple months ago. Thumbs up. :)

I'm not a big monti fan but that things pretty! :) Does it have a name?? lol
Thx man! It's a reeftek starburst.

Nice Starburst monti. Nice piece. I just got a frag acouple months ago. Thumbs up. :)
I showed you mine now you show me yours, lol. If I remember I'll snap a pic of my UWW rainbow sunburst frag tomorrow :).

Here's my $75 UWW Rainbow Sunburst. It actually rtn'd about 50% when my 40 went south. I'm amazed at how fast it has recovered. It may not be much to look at now, but later on this piece will be an absolute stunner.

IMGP1387_zps847ee3b5.jpg

Love those! Dang things so expensive. :(

Yeah, it's crazy. Reef Gardener has a nice sized sunburst frag on ebay right now for $199. That sounds high, but compared to what others are charging it's a pretty good deal. This isn't your typical monti....From what I understand there aren't a whole lot of colonies available (I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure all of them have been fragged from the original parent colony at UWW. I know that sounds really ignorant, but I haven't found anything that states otherwise.)and It's a really slow grower.

Montis bounce back like a rubber ball as long as you correct whatever issue caused the RTN. I love montiporas <3

...and for that, I am very happy, lol. I would have been bummed if I lost this little frag. As soon as i noticed the rtn it went straight into the frag tank. I didn't have much to lose, since it's so small any more tissue loss and the whole thing would've been gone. It has made a full recovery in about 2 weeks time, maybe less. I suppose that's due to the fact that's it's so small as well.

Yep, that means it'll be expensive for quite awhile so probably never in my budget. I'll just watch yours grow and be jealous. LOL

Yep, that means it'll be expensive for quite awhile so probably never in my budget. I'll just watch yours grow and be jealous. LOL

Maybe not. Everyone knows I tend to hook up the nano reef regulars, maybe once this guy grows out I can get you a frag for cheap.

I think this tank is coming down soon. Probably in january (want to make it 3 years with this tank). I want more of a mixed reef that will be lps/softie dominated. I might even upgrade to a 125g.

I think this tank is coming down soon. Probably in january (want to make it 3 years with this tank). I want more of a mixed reef that will be lps/softie dominated. I might even upgrade to a 125g.

You are a serial monogamy kind of guy when it comes to reefing, aren't you?

I have the same problem. Setup, Succeed, Teardown, Change, Improved Setup, Succeed, Teardown, Change Improved Setup... so on and so forth.

You and I, we will probably never see the day that our reef reaches it's 15th anniversary. Hahaha

Archived