SaltCritters.com

My SPS 40. I make aiptasia and bubble algae look goooood..

glennr1978

Thanks man! I'm pretty happy with this tank so far. It gets much more attention now that it's not in a spare bedroom that no one ever uses, and the extra attention is really starting to produce positive results. I'm pretty much out of space to add more frags so I'm considering adding a little ledge / step up thing (will use rock rubble and putty) to the back side of the rock structure on the right. I'm also thinking about adding a couple of fire fish after watching your video, lol.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It definitely makes everything under the tank very accessible. I forgot to mention, the reason I made the stand so big is because I plan to upgrade to a 125 at some point.

Very obvious! I saw the stand pics and that was the first thing I thought :D. Can you elaborate on the using too much bio-pellets? What was the issue and how did you catch it.

Very obvious! I saw the stand pics and that was the first thing I thought :D . Can you elaborate on the using too much bio-pellets? What was the issue and how did you catch it.

When I first started using bp's I filled the canister (phosban 150) about 1/3 full. That was more than enough, actually, it was way too much for my tank. Since the tank was in a spare bedroom it didn't get much attention and I didn't feed nearly as much as I should have been. So basically the bp's stripped the water too clean and most of my corals faded drastically. I was also constantly changing my lighting so I'm sure that didn't really help much.

Now I've only got about ~1" of bp's in the canister and I feed the fish and corals more often. I just put the bp's back online a few weeks ago and my corals seem to be responding very well. I sould mention that I had phosphate issues the first time around with the bp's, but now I'm running GFO as well.

Interesting. Thanks a lot for those details. I've been looking into the same reactor with bps, but if you are running GFO and having to feed also then I might just stick with carbon/gfo.

Following this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

hey glen did u drill the bottom of the 40b for that overflow, or did it come that way. also what return pump are you using???

just broke down my 40b, and gonna rebuild the entire system from scratch. 3rd times a charm right?? :slap:fingerscrossed:slap:

just looking for some ideas, since your 40 breeders are top notch!

thx!

4006082[/url]']

hey glen did u drill the bottom of the 40b for that overflow, or did it come that way. also what return pump are you using???

just broke down my 40b, and gonna rebuild the entire system from scratch. 3rd times a charm right?? :slap:fingerscrossed:slap:

just looking for some ideas, since your 40 breeders are top notch!

thx!

Yes, I drilled the bottom. The drain is 1" and the return is 3/4". I'm using a ~5 year old quiet one 2200 for my return. It still runs as good as the day it was new, knock on wood!

4006509[/url]']

Yes, I drilled the bottom. The drain is 1" and the return is 3/4". I'm using a ~5 year old quiet one 2200 for my return. It still runs as good as the day it was new, knock on wood!

I really like my current plumbing set up. It's about as basic as it could be and works great.

Awesome! Thx! Surprised thats all the flow u have coming thru your sump. Guess the vortechs make up for the rest. I wasthinking of running a mag 7 or mag 9.5. U think that would be too much? My returns will be split by a scwd

Ill be using a 20long for a sump. Sorry to flood your thread with questions...

4006568[/url]']

Awesome! Thx! Surprised thats all the flow u have coming thru your sump. Guess the vortechs make up for the rest. I wasthinking of running a mag 7 or mag 9.5. U think that would be too much? My returns will be split by a scwd

Ill be using a 20long for a sump. Sorry to flood your thread with questions...

I would think that a mag 7 would be fine. I used a scwd years ago and overall I was not impressed. Mine was kinda loud and would get stuck a lot. Not to mention they cut down your flow rate quite a bit. A 20l works fine. I used one with my current tank until a couple of months ago. I wanted to integrate a frag area into my sump which is the main reason I upgraded to a 40b.

• 2 weeks later...

The return section of my sump also doubles as a frag grow out area...

2B832C0C-3080-4A0E-9769-3C1916AC4E27-1340-0000011D98F6F2AC-1.jpg

It's lit by a 150w phoenix 14k. Flow is provided by a modded tunze 6025. It's not a lot of space, but IMO it sure beats having a bunch of frags littered throughout the display.

• 2 months later...
Tank looks great :)

Thanks! I need to buy a couple of colonies to fill in some empty spaces. Then I plan to just let it all grow. Six more months and it should be filled in well.

Your tank is beautiful! It seems to fit perfectly with your decor and adds a touch of the ocean to your room!

Thanks! The stand actually turned out better than I expected. My wife is very particular about the decor in the house and the tank, stand, and canopy gets her approval. I cant really ask for much more than that, lol.

completely beautiful!

Thanks!

Thanks! Im sure my corals would be much bigger had I not neglected the tank for the first year that I had it. Now I give it a little tlc and everythingb is doing great. With the lighting that I have growth should not be a problem, lol.

I've had a few people pm me about the frag / return section of the tank so I figure I'll just address it here. It is lit by a 150w phoenix 14k and flow is provided by a modded tunze 6025. The 6025 does create quite a bit of surface agitation and this would typically be a problem for th ato float switch. However, I have my ato set up to only run 6 times a day, in 15 minute intrevals (if necessary).

Additionally, my ato set up is pretty sweet, imo. Fortunately the laundry room in my house is directly behind the wall the tank is on. So I tee'd off the ro/di (so I can still make wc water) and it runs through the wall and directly to a 3g reservoir (only actually holds about a gallon). The water level in the reservoir is controlled by a brs float valve. This way, its all but impossible to overflow the tank with fresh water due to the timer for the ato and the float valve in the reservoir. Now my living room, thats another srory. If the valve were to fail it could flood easily, but I have tile so I'm not worried about it. The best part is that the ato is fully automated. No filling buckets for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news. Five days ago I got a call from my wife and she said that "the tank was off" and most of the fish were dead or dying. I'm still not sure why, but the gfci was tripped and the tank was without power for about 18 hours (most everything runs through a controller but a couple things are on manual timers). Unfortunately I lost both tangs, a wrasse, and my flame hawkfish. My pink bn, and tubbs bn both have faded quite a bit. I'm bummed.

After a good wc and a few days the tank looks to be back on track, except there's not nearly enough fish IMO. I will definitely be adding another small tang, probably a purple. I'm also considering a trio of lyre tail anthias. Hmmm...

Bad news. Five days ago I got a call from my wife and she said that "the tank was off" and most of the fish were dead or dying. I'm still not sure why, but the gfci was tripped and the tank was without power for about 18 hours (most everything runs through a controller but a couple things are on manual timers). Unfortunately I lost both tangs, a wrasse, and my flame hawkfish. My pink bn, and tubbs bn both have faded quite a bit. I'm bummed.

After a good wc and a few days the tank looks to be back on track, except there's not nearly enough fish IMO. I will definitely be adding another small tang, probably a purple. I'm also considering a trio of lyre tail anthias. Hmmm...

Dam sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my flame wrasse trio and flame back angel this year to a power outage. Hope you get all the fish you want back into the tank.

Archived