ReefCleaners.org

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got done scanning through this thread and the progression is just awesome. I know it's been said over and over but what an incredible tank. There's just something that is different with a tank that is grown in and almost completely covered in coral.

I know it gives me something to aspire to for sure.

Needreefunds

Man that FTS just EXPLODES color across my screen!! You certainly seem to have an affinity for coral placement. You are like an artist who paints his tank with corals! Stunning....

Finally, here is the latest FTS. I still don't feel my photo skills do the colors under MH justice.

2495ad6f.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I haven't had a tank in a couple years, this last shot I think has convinced me to setup that nc6 in have in the closet. When the time comes, do you think you could spare a couple single polyps? :happy:

tam

Junkitu, I've always loved your tank since seeing the first pics of it over the past several months. Very excellent work with it. I'm curious as to the sand/substrate you're using in your tank. I might be mistaken, but it looks to me like Indo-Pacific sand. If that's the case, how's that working out for you? Any cyano issues with it? I'm asking because in my 30g tank I have Indo-Pacific sand layed out as a DSB about "2.5-"3 deep, and I get cyano on it pretty often... =/

I haven't had a tank in a couple years, this last shot I think has convinced me to setup that nc6 in have in the closet. When the time comes, do you think you could spare a couple single polyps? :happy:

tam

Welcome back to reefing darkspyda!

Junkitu, I've always loved your tank since seeing the first pics of it over the past several months. Very excellent work with it. I'm curious as to the sand/substrate you're using in your tank. I might be mistaken, but it looks to me like Indo-Pacific sand. If that's the case, how's that working out for you? Any cyano issues with it? I'm asking because in my 30g tank I have Indo-Pacific sand layed out as a DSB about "2.5-"3 deep, and I get cyano on it pretty often... =/

Thanks Phixion! I've been a fan of your tanks and posts as well.

Unfortunatley, I can't remember what type of live sand I used. This is my first saltwater tank and I bought whatever my LFS had. :blush: My sand bed is only about an inch deep and I haven't had any issues with cyano so far. FWIW, I've read and heard that poor flow can contribute to cyano outbreaks and I've added additional pumps to try to minimize deadspots in my tank.

Here are some new pics of my tank.

My yellow leather left a little frag and it's growing back :P

3b092a4c.jpg

Here's a top down shot of my tank.

5c7d7857.jpg

A shot of my yumas. The green one is really colorful and is one of my favorites.

474e0d3c.jpg

I'm trying to grow my xenias on the back wall to cover the unused vents. They're filling in nicely.

01d1d171.jpg

Lastly, here's a close-up of my Yasha. They are very colorful and interesting fish.

c71b2a89.jpg

Sweet goby pic! :D

Wow, all your corals/corallimorphs look just so open and lush and happy!

I can't remember--have you ever mentioned your maintenance routine? Is it hard to keep it looking so clean?

--Diane

Sweet goby pic! :D

Wow, all your corals/corallimorphs look just so open and lush and happy!

I can't remember--have you ever mentioned your maintenance routine? Is it hard to keep it looking so clean?

--Diane

Thanks Diane. I owe it all to my CUC.

Here's my maintenance routine:

Kent Marine Nano 2-part additive (Monday, Thrusday)

20% water change (C-Pure seawater) once a week

Scrub and scrape algae once a week

Top off with RO/DI as needed

Thanks for the compliments as well!! :happy:

I added a pump to mine to increase flow as well, I'm at around 38x turnover currently. But the detrius on the sand doesn't seem to like to get blown into the water column to get skimmed out for some reason, it just builds up and builds up.

For this being your 1st SW tank, you're doing very well with it. I feel it's one of the best looking ones on here. B)

Thanks Diane. I owe it all to my CUC.

Here's my maintenance routine:

Kent Marine Nano 2-part additive (Monday, Thrusday)

20% water change (C-Pure seawater) once a week

Scrub and scrape algae once a week

Top off with RO/DI as needed

You make it sound so simple... B)

junkitu, I HAVE been following along for quite a while, and I did just go back to your first page (with no luck), but I'm afraid I can't remember what you have for a CUC. Would you mind repeating it? I really can't go thru all 18 pp right at the moment...

Also, have you needed to augment your CUC as you went along?

--Diane

justin81, Phixion, and Duncan - Thanks! I'm flattered. :D

You make it sound so simple... B)

junkitu, I HAVE been following along for quite a while, and I did just go back to your first page (with no luck), but I'm afraid I can't remember what you have for a CUC. Would you mind repeating it? I really can't go thru all 18 pp right at the moment...

Also, have you needed to augment your CUC as you went along?

--Diane

Diane - Thanks for following along. I've certainly have had some CUC losses over the last 15 months. The best that I can tell I have 3 or 4 nassarius (sp?) snails, 2 or 3 astrea snails, 3 or 4 red legged hermits, and 3 or 4 blue legged hermits.

Diane - Thanks for following along. I've certainly have had some CUC losses over the last 15 months. The best that I can tell I have 3 or 4 nassarius (sp?) snails, 2 or 3 astrea snails, 3 or 4 red legged hermits, and 3 or 4 blue legged hermits.

Gee, that seems modest for a tank your size...Do you feed much?

--Diane (whose tank never looks that clean...)

Gee, that seems modest for a tank your size...Do you feed much?

--Diane (whose tank never looks that clean...)

Yeah. I've had some CUC attrition over the last 16 months and I haven't replenished. My sandbed does get stirred up quite a bit by my Yasha and clams and I think that helps.

Here's my feeding schedule:

DT's Phytoplankton (3 day/week)

Spectrum and Formula 1 marine pellets (3 days/week)

Kent Marine Zoe (3 days/week)

Cyclopeeze (2 days/week)

Mysis Shrimp (2 days/week)

Wow, I just got done reading all 18 pages of your thread, and ive got to say this is my favorite nano EVER... :) im sure youve heard it over and over but its got to be said again -_- Anyways, thanks to you, I am trying to find a yellow leather, but havent had any luck out here at my lfs. :angry: Do you think one would do okay in a 10g? (64w of pc)

Also I really want some rics, but have only seen one red polyp for $30, is this normal price? How much do you pay for yours? :huh:

Wow, I just got done reading all 18 pages of your thread, and ive got to say this is my favorite nano EVER... :) im sure youve heard it over and over but its got to be said again -_- Anyways, thanks to you, I am trying to find a yellow leather, but havent had any luck out here at my lfs. :angry: Do you think one would do okay in a 10g? (64w of pc)

Also I really want some rics, but have only seen one red polyp for $30, is this normal price? How much do you pay for yours? :huh:

Thanks! BTW, hearing that other people like my tank never gets old. :D

It sounds like you have plenty of light for a leather but I wouldn't recommend it in a 10G. Leathers grow pretty quickly and they get really big.

As for rics, they are pricey. Especially if you start looking into yumas. It's not uncommon to see yumas $100 or more. Florida rics are cheaper but they go for around $30-$40 a mouth around here.

Ahh man, I wish I had read your post earlier...I went to my lfs and couldn't resist (just acclimated):

Mine looks no where as good as yours, but hopefully it will look a little bit better later on? :)

IMG_0110.jpg

Archived