Top Shelf Aquatics

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

Did you attach all your corals to the LR? And just let everything fill in?

Most of my coral started attached to small pieces of rock and have spread onto the LR aquascape over time.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your tank rocks.........you win :happy:

Thanks! :D I've been really fortunate with this first tank and have received some great advice from members of this forum. I'm about to push my luck and start a 70 gallon system at home :unsure: .

Push away, if it looks half as good as this one it will blow away anyone elses. I find it hard to believe that this is your first reef tank. Congrats on one of the best looking tanks (not just nano) that I have ever seen.

Push away, if it looks half as good as this one it will blow away anyone elses. I find it hard to believe that this is your first reef tank. Congrats on one of the best looking tanks (not just nano) that I have ever seen.

Thanks for the compliment and the vote of confidence. I pick up my new tank and get a bunch of equipment delivered tomorrow but probably won't set it up for a week or so. Keep an eye out for a new thread coming soon.

joel sandoman

do you really need the chiller with the sunpod? I have no chiller and have no issues with my sunpod heating up my tank. or is it just for the summer when the office heats up after you leave?

do you really need the chiller with the sunpod? I have no chiller and have no issues with my sunpod heating up my tank. or is it just for the summer when the office heats up after you leave?

I definitely need it because of the direct sunlight and the lack of AC after hours and on the weekends at my office. I had a serious overheat over a year and a half ago and lost a bunch of stuff. Since them I'm definitely chillin'.

Junkitu, please put a link to any new thread in this one!

Looking forward to it,

--Diane

Here it is: Junkitu's Monti House Tank Thread. Much more to come soon.

If the new tank looks half as good as this one it will still be amazing! Can't wait to see the new tank. :D

Thanks! I wish I was as optimistic about the new tank.

• 2 months later...

My tank turned 2 years old last week! A lot has definitely changed but it's still hanging in there.

Here are some recent pics after I moved a bunch of the hard corals and some of the softies to my new tank:

Top shelf - It looks a lot different without the rics but things definitely have more room to grow now :unsure:

TopShelf.jpg

Close up of the duncans - You can see my Superman monti frag on the right. It's really beginning to grow out.

IMG_4496.jpg

Rhodactis mushroom colonies - It wouldn't be Mushroom House with out them.

IMG_4477.jpg

Zoa and Paly colonies - I moved a bunch of blues to the new tank but these continue to grow out.

IMG_4476.jpg

May FTS - Xenias and other softies continue to thrive. I miss some of the colors that the rics and other coral that I transferred had. I'm hoping to add another maxima clam with some different coloration in the future to help.

IMG_4472.jpg

Hope you like it. Let me know what you think.

Wow Junkitu, imo your tank is still as jaw dropping and eye popping as ever :happy: And your corals are all thriving very well too. Really truly deserved to be the NTOTM of many. And surely one of the tank that I look forward and hope to achieve with my own tank :P

Congrats on hitting the 2 year mark! This has been the most lovely, successful tank throughout its existence. I just looked back through several pages and it's really changed a lot over the 2 years (as has mine!).

I should know this, but what is the green coral on the far left top, next to the leather? It really stands out in all your photos.

You've sure been successful with that Xenia on the back wall! And I love the Rhodactis--such interesting shrooms.

It will be fun to watch what's left grow out (and whatever else you might add :)).

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

--Diane

Wow Junkitu, imo your tank is still as jaw dropping and eye popping as ever :happy: And your corals are all thriving very well too. Really truly deserved to be the NTOTM of many. And surely one of the tank that I look forward and hope to achieve with my own tank :P

:D

Congrats on hitting the 2 year mark! This has been the most lovely, successful tank throughout its existence. I just looked back through several pages and it's really changed a lot over the 2 years (as has mine!).

I should know this, but what is the green coral on the far left top, next to the leather? It really stands out in all your photos.

You've sure been successful with that Xenia on the back wall! And I love the Rhodactis--such interesting shrooms.

It will be fun to watch what's left grow out (and whatever else you might add :)).

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

--Diane

Thanks Diane! The feeling is definitely mutual.Your tank is truly an inspiration.

The coral on the top far left is a green polyped devil's hand leather. The one to it's right is a green polyped toadstool leather.

Thanks for checking in.

• 3 weeks later...

just read your whole thread bro.. very nice... ive been on here for over a year and have never seen your tank.... glad i came across it... check out my thread in sig... its about 35 pages long...lol

i see youve had both the phoniox 14k and the Geissman 20k.... these are the 2 bulbs i can not decide wich to get.. right now i have my stock 14k Current Sunpod bulb stilll.. but i really want some POP in the coral.. so gimme so help dude.. which one do you prefer.... tell me a little about each and how they looked

just read your whole thread bro.. very nice... ive been on here for over a year and have never seen your tank.... glad i came across it... check out my thread in sig... its about 35 pages long...lol

i see youve had both the phoniox 14k and the Geissman 20k.... these are the 2 bulbs i can not decide wich to get.. right now i have my stock 14k Current Sunpod bulb stilll.. but i really want some POP in the coral.. so gimme so help dude.. which one do you prefer.... tell me a little about each and how they looked

Thanks diggman. It comes down to personal preference. I definitely prefer the blueness of the 20K bulbs. IMO, the Phoenix is a nice bulb with a blue tint but the Geisseman is really blue and makes many of the brighter coral colors really pop. The Geisseman is made in Germany and is supposed to be well made. Unfortunately, one of the ceramic ends of my bulb cracked after a few months. I'm not sure if this is representative of other bulbs made by this company but it definitely will make me think twice before I buy another. I'm currently running a 20K Radium bulb and really like it. HTH.

thanks.. the pics on the previous page is that under the Radium or Geiss..?? Ive heard Ushio20k is pretty good too. not quite as blue as the Radium.. supposedly the Ushio is made by Geiss just a lower quality..

thanks.. the pics on the previous page is that under the Radium or Geiss..?? Ive heard Ushio20k is pretty good too. not quite as blue as the Radium.. supposedly the Ushio is made by Geiss just a lower quality..

The pictures on the previous page were taken after I changed my bulb to the Radium. FWIW, I think the Radium is less blue than the Geissemann.

• 2 months later...
gulfsurfer101

I just got through reading your article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine today and gotta say it's a truly inspiring tank. I have the same set up for my personal home reef tank with overflow and sump. I was inspired by your article to see the full potential of this tank. Just wanted to say awsome looking tank. I will look in to other tank threads you mentioned in your article to draw inpiration from as well.

lakshwadeep
I just got through reading your article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine today and gotta say it's a truly inspiring tank. I have the same set up for my personal home reef tank with overflow and sump. I was inspired by your article to see the full potential of this tank. Just wanted to say awsome looking tank. I will look in to other tank threads you mentioned in your article to draw inpiration from as well.

Wow this is deja vu! I also got reef hobbyist magazine from my LFS on Saturday, and I didn't read it till today. Great article, Junkitu. I wonder if we'll see a small spike in new nano-reef.com members. :lol:

Thanks! N-R.com has been a great source of information and support for me in this hobby. I hope the additional exposure will help the site as well as showcase some of the other great nano reefs that members here have created.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! The article was adapted from my N-R.com January reef profile. A lot has changed in my tank since that write up. I moved some of my livestock and frags to my new Elos System 70 earlier this year and the Aquapod is just now getting back to old form.

A couple months ago I decided to clear off the top shelf and give an anemone a try for my clown. I've always wanted to keep a rose bubble and it's really revitalized my tank. My clown, who I've had for over 2 years, took only a day before it started hosting in it. I'm so happy with new addition and it looks like he is too. It's really brought the Mushroom House back to life.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Here's Panda with his new girlfriend Rose.

IM000024.jpg

The zoas and shrooms have really grown in at the bottom of my scape.

IM000027.jpg

Here are some FTS. I'm really happy with the balance in colors that the anemone has brought back to the tank.

IM000036.jpg

September08FTS.jpg

Archived