SaltCritters.com

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Holy crap that thing is huge. I just got my hands on rbta a few weeks ago. It's still very small though. I also saw your other tank you mentioned and it is truly awsome. I've been looking into buying everything I need to get a 75g breeder style aquarium going and I will be looking into things you've done on your tanks for means of a guide. Keep up the posts since they are truly inspiring to us guys just trying to get things going in the right direction.

:) Yeah, the tank needed some red to bring out the other colors. Thanks!

I love the rose tip - I wanted to get one but with the price and shipping - oh well. Plus I heard they move around - but with the size of yours I think it will stay put.

Did you ever lose anything to your flame angel? If I was to ask - would you recommend one in a reef tank would you say yes? (confession - I want one but worried)

I love the rose tip - I wanted to get one but with the price and shipping - oh well. Plus I heard they move around - but with the size of yours I think it will stay put.

Did you ever lose anything to your flame angel? If I was to ask - would you recommend one in a reef tank would you say yes? (confession - I want one but worried)

I'm hoping that planning will minimize the movement of my nem. When I first got it the anemone moved to the back of the tank away from the light. I had read that this is common at first. AFter a few days it started to extend to the light but didn't move back on top of the rocks. After a couple of weeks of waiting I decided to move it to a crevice that I created in the rockwork on top of my scape. I made sure its foot had a deep groove to set itself. So far so good.

As for my flame, it hasn't touched any coral in over two years. I have heard that individual behavior may vary especially as they get older. Depending on the size of your tank, I would recommend a swallowtail or watanabe for a reef tank. These are reputed to never touch other tank inhabitants.

Yeah. I wish I had some better pics when that article was being put together. I'm really happy with the way the tank looks right now. I could watch my clown play in the new anem all day.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! Where do I start?! The Xenia on the back wall, the Leather, the RBTA, my god EVERYTHING is so amazing! Your tank is so beautiful mate!

That's a nice looking tank you have there! I read the article in RH this week and thought I would check out the thread. I'll have to read through the entire 24 pages later when time permits.

I now what you mean about climate control in the office. I'm afraid to keep even a freshwater tank in mine 'cause the power goes off a lot (old building) and I'd probably end up with dead fish by the weekend.

That's a nice looking tank you have there! I read the article in RH this week and thought I would check out the thread. I'll have to read through the entire 24 pages later when time permits.

I now what you mean about climate control in the office. I'm afraid to keep even a freshwater tank in mine 'cause the power goes off a lot (old building) and I'd probably end up with dead fish by the weekend.

Thanks tom.

They turned off the power in my building for over 12 hours last weekend to do some electrical maintenance. I bought an APC UPS unit to help bridge the outage and it did the trick. It didn't keep the power on for the whole outage but it did so long enough that the temp only dropped about 4 degrees from normal before the power came back on. Everything survived just fine but now I have one more costly piece of equipment to keep in my office. All I need now is an ATO, dosing unit, and autofeeder and the tank will be totally automated...Yikes!

Here's a pic of the tank after the outage. The devil's hand isn't extending its polyps in this pic but it's fine:

IM000060.jpg

Even the new star fish made it through the temporary drop in temp

IM000068.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Looks completely killer. I'm just restarting out my AP12 in hopes that when I am able to transfer it back inot my AP24 it will looks half as good as yours. I can't stop drooling at how cool that tanks looks.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks completely killer. I'm just restarting out my AP12 in hopes that when I am able to transfer it back inot my AP24 it will looks half as good as yours. I can't stop drooling at how cool that tanks looks.

Thanks! Best of luck with the restart.

How are the leathers doing with the BTA? I am thinking of getting one and I have a yellow fiji leather.

Thanks! The article was adapted from my N-R.com January reef profile. A lot has changed in my tank since that write up. I moved some of my livestock and frags to my new Elos System 70 earlier this year and the Aquapod is just now getting back to old form.

A couple months ago I decided to clear off the top shelf and give an anemone a try for my clown. I've always wanted to keep a rose bubble and it's really revitalized my tank. My clown, who I've had for over 2 years, took only a day before it started hosting in it. I'm so happy with new addition and it looks like he is too. It's really brought the Mushroom House back to life.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Here's Panda with his new girlfriend Rose.

IM000024.jpg

The zoas and shrooms have really grown in at the bottom of my scape.

IM000027.jpg

Here are some FTS. I'm really happy with the balance in colors that the anemone has brought back to the tank.

IM000036.jpg

September08FTS.jpg

man Junkitu, I know I will never get my ap24 to look near as nice as yours. I must sy that your's is the nicest ap24 I have ever seen. Back before you moved some stuff out for the Monti house was when it looked the bast, but today it is still amazing.

Thanks!

How are the leathers doing with the BTA? I am thinking of getting one and I have a yellow fiji leather.

The leathers seem to be able to coexist with the bubble tip. No signs of injury even though the nem is rubbing up against them.

Back before you moved some stuff out for the Monti house was when it looked the bast, but today it is still amazing.

The tank may have been more colorful with the rics and the SPS but it's so much more fun to watch with the clown hosting in the nem. Much more movement in the tank and incredibly interesting symbiotic interaction.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade from my 80W PC hood to the 150W Sunpod MH fixture. After reading everything I could and soliciting feedback from this and other forums, I decided to use the "layer" method to acclimate my tank to the more intense lighting. Unfortunately, the screen I bought from my local hardware store was very dark so I only used 1 layer of screen and kept it over the tank for over a week. I took the screen off completely on Monday and fortunately have not noticed any negative effects on my coral.

Here's a shot of my new topless setup. The colors are really vibrant (and blue) and the shimmer is amazing:

ecad1fbf.jpg

Finally liberating my tank of its hood has allowed me to add a 1/15 hp Current USA Prime chiller. I removed my MJ900 return pump and now have a Hydor Selz L35 pump (495gph) running externally. I've plumbed the close loop system so it draws from the back left chamber, through the chiller, and pumps the water back into the display through the stock return. I'm really happy with this little dual stage chiller. Thanks to my controller and chiller my temps are now rock solid between 77.5 and 79 degrees.

77d2e840.jpg

Here are some pics of the tank under the new lighting:

The color on these palys have really come out under the new lighting.

16f84d39.jpg

The zoa and paly garden appears to be getting much more light at the bottom of the tank and appears to be thriving.

fa7f7aae.jpg

I was worried that my rics would show ill effects due to the increase in the wattage and intensity of the light but so far so good. Here's my ric waterfall. The colors are so much more vibrant than they were under PCs.

f270377c.jpg

Lastly, here's a shot of the top shelf. The clam is obviously benefiting from the stronger lighting but it seems like the yumas, leathers, and even my new little Australian duncans (small frag on the lower right) are liking it as well.

0e42e34b.jpg

I hope you like the latest changes. As always, please let me know what you think.

I still haven't taken an FTS that I like. I'll keep trying and will post one soon.

Were these pics taken under stock bulb that comes with the 150W sundpod?

Were these pics taken under stock bulb that comes with the 150W sundpod?

I can't remember but it wasn't the stock bulb. I think it was a 20K Geissmann.

Archived