Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

I've made some changes to the tank. I decided to remove the finger leather and gave it to a co-worker who is starting a 29g Biocube at home. The other 3 leathers in my tank were shrinking up more frequently since its introduction so I figured I'd take it out. Let's see if the devil's hand, toadstool, and fiji seem happier.

Of course, that opened up room for some new additions. :) I picked up some new rics. Here's a pic of a rainbow ricordea florida that I found at Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo. I'm considering entering this shot in the contest instead of the Ricordea Necklace pic that I already have posted. Let me know what you think.

rainbowriccloseup.jpg

Some sad news. My firefish had been hiding for a few weeks. I finally found his body and fished him out last month. :tears: He was one of the original fish that I started with and it was sad to see him go.

I really liked having a goby in the tank so I decided to get a Yasha and Pistol Shrimp pair last week. They're very shy and have taken up residence under the big base rock on the right of my aquascape. Under the zoa and paly garden. They dart in and out of their burrow at feeding time and are cool additions to the tank. I'll try to take some pics.

Lastly, I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at a clam. I've been considering this for quite some time and finally came to a decision last week after reading that icenine and others had also decided to give it a try under PC lighting. So far so good. Here's a pic of my Derasa next to a new tabasco yuma that I also picked up. Stay tuned for more updates.

derasa.jpg

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I considered buying those same exact ricordeas at ultimate aquarium! lol I found a site that sells them for pretty cheap, so I decided to wait.

I considered buying those same exact ricordeas at ultimate aquarium! lol I found a site that sells them for pretty cheap, so I decided to wait.

lol. How cheap?

$14

I think they were $27 at ultimate aquarium, right?

check out sealifeinc.net A buddy of mine showed me this site.

fraggle rockette

site please? :D i really need a few more rics and a few less dollars...

oh yeah- p.s. junkitu, your tank is incredible. looks like i need to step it up and stop buying the little frag bits off the bottom of the tank at the lfs... haha

sealifeinc.net haha I feel ya! I'm tired of paying ridiculous prices for rics!

fraggle rockette
sealifeinc.net haha I feel ya! I'm tired of paying ridiculous prices for rics!

thanks! btw, i cant believe you're starting another tank! i have my hands full with one, and am contemplating a prop tank, but two full lrwf tanks? omgomgomg

thanks! btw, i cant believe you're starting another tank! i have my hands full with one, and am contemplating a prop tank, but two full lrwf tanks? omgomgomg

what can I say... I'm addicted! lol actually I was running out of room in my 14 gallon, so I had to either get rid of some corals or make a new tank!

sorry junkitu, back to your beautiful tank. When you decide frag that gorgeous toadstool let me know! ;)

what can I say... I'm addicted! lol actually I was running out of room in my 14 gallon, so I had to either get rid of some corals or make a new tank!

sorry junkitu, back to your beautiful tank. When you decide frag that gorgeous toadstool let me know! ;)

I hear you D. I'm runnning out of space too and itching to start a bigger softie tank at home...maybe as big as 90 gallons!

Are you talking about my green polyped toadstool? It's still pretty small but I'll definitely let you know.

oh yeah- p.s. junkitu, your tank is incredible. looks like i need to step it up and stop buying the little frag bits off the bottom of the tank at the lfs... haha

Thanks! Sometimes those little frags that fall through the eggcrate are awesome finds from larger colonies. I've picked up a couple rics that way. It's just too bad that rics are relatively slow growers :(

fraggle rockette
Thanks! Sometimes those little frags that fall through the eggcrate are awesome finds from larger colonies. I've picked up a couple rics that way. It's just too bad that rics are relatively slow growers :(

I KNOW!!! i recently got a little guy thinking "oh he'll spread out and cover this rock." Nope. Still hanging out, not doing much. Any ideas to progress their growth, or is it just a lot of waiting?

I KNOW!!! i recently got a little guy thinking "oh he'll spread out and cover this rock." Nope. Still hanging out, not doing much. Any ideas to progress their growth, or is it just a lot of waiting?

It's a slow process but I've been able to get my florida rics to grow additional mouths by feeding phytoplankton and cyclopeeze.

I hear you D. I'm runnning out of space too and itching to start a bigger softie tank at home...maybe as big as 90 gallons!

Are you talking about my green polyped toadstool? It's still pretty small but I'll definitely let you know.

yep! I have been looking for a green polyp toadstool... Yours is beautiful!

I finally was able to take a couple pics of my yasha during feeding time today. Unfortunately, his pistol shrimp buddy was too quick. I'll keep trying.

Yasha.jpg

Yasha2.jpg

My clam seems to be doing well.

DerasaCloseUp.jpg

Here's a shot of my flame angel playing by a florida ric waterfall.

Rics3.jpg

I hope to have a new FTS soon. Stay tuned.

awesome additions.

i lost my yasha for reasons unknown, even if i hand fed him meaty food everyday. i miss him :( i got a new flasher wrasse yesterday though, very very awesome fish, he's in my 12 gallon with the clowns.

that deresa will grow very fast, make sure you leave plenty of space for him on the sandbed!

awesome additions.

i lost my yasha for reasons unknown, even if i hand fed him meaty food everyday. i miss him :( i got a new flasher wrasse yesterday though, very very awesome fish, he's in my 12 gallon with the clowns.

that deresa will grow very fast, make sure you leave plenty of space for him on the sandbed!

Sorry to hear about the yasha. Yours was the one that made me consider adding one to my tank.

I plan to move the clam to a larger system that I will be setting up at home later his year. How quickly will they grow?

Thanks for keeping tabs on my tank's progress and good luck in the nTOTM contest on RC.

I think this is my favourite tank on nano-reef... by far.

Thanks!

The Ultimate DanK

This continues to be my absolute favorite tank. Second to the one in my room of course. I really hope mine turns out as well as yours has. Any tips? :lol:

This continues to be my absolute favorite tank. Second to the one in my room of course. I really hope mine turns out as well as yours has. Any tips? :lol:

Thanks! :)

I checked out your thread and it looks like you're off to a good start. How much light do you have over your tank? I'm a relative newbie myself but the only tip I can give you is take your time and choose additions that you REALLY like. Real estate in nanos is a scarce commodity so make sure you use it wisely. Good luck with your tank and thanks again for following along.

Summer's right around the corner and I'm really getting concerned about keeping my temps in line. I refuse to risk another overheat experience like I had last year (see page 1 of this thread for the gory details). Unfortunately, the ICA isn't really moving my temps during daylight hours. I'm seriously considering scrapping the hood and upgrading to the 150W Sunpod so I can get a true external chiller. My clam should love it but I'm not sure about the rest of the softies in Mushroom House.

It's gonna be expen$ive but I'm willing to take the plunge in order to have some peace of mind. What do you all think? Opinions and suggestions are most welcome.

Summer's right around the corner and I'm really getting concerned about keeping my temps in line. I refuse to risk another overheat experience like I had last year (see page 1 of this thread for the gory details). Unfortunately, the ICA isn't really moving my temps during daylight hours. I'm seriously considering scrapping the hood and upgrading to the 150W Sunpod so I can get a true external chiller. My clam should love it but I'm not sure about the rest of the softies in Mushroom House.

It's gonna be expen$ive but I'm willing to take the plunge in order to have some peace of mind. What do you all think? Opinions and suggestions are most welcome.

all your mushrooms will start moving around. stock lighting to 150 halides is a huge jump. maybe the 70 watts will suit your needs better, but the clam will definitely love the 150. maybe another PC option with legs will work too, such as the 96 watt coralife unit. leaves more money for the chiller.

all your mushrooms will start moving around. stock lighting to 150 halides is a huge jump. maybe the 70 watts will suit your needs better, but the clam will definitely love the 150. maybe another PC option with legs will work too, such as the 96 watt coralife unit. leaves more money for the chiller.

I currently have 80W PC and was hoping that acclimating the tank by initially cutting the photoperiod in half with the 150W MH and then increasing it by an hour each week might help ease the transition. I considered the 70W version of the Sunpod but the price difference was so small I thought I'd go for the higher wattage for the clam. Is this not a reasonable plan?

I considered the 70W version of the Sunpod but the price difference was so small I thought I'd go for the higher wattage for the clam. Is this not a reasonable plan?

If you got the money to upgrade to 150w rather than 70w, just go for it. Of course it is a reasonable plan. I've always loved your tank. I wish mine looks like yours :( so far i have a yellow leather (my favorite) for 3 weeks now its doing great and 3 frags of zoas. Hope to get some shrooms and maybe pulsing xenia soon. BTW i was wondering what products do you use like to feed corals? Any tips for having a healthy leather? Good luck with your upgrade! Hope everything acclimate nicely. Keep us updated

If you got the money to upgrade to 150w rather than 70w, just go for it. Of course it is a reasonable plan. I've always loved your tank. I wish mine looks like yours :( so far i have a yellow leather (my favorite) for 3 weeks now its doing great and 3 frags of zoas. Hope to get some shrooms and maybe pulsing xenia soon. BTW i was wondering what products do you use like to feed corals? Any tips for having a healthy leather? Good luck with your upgrade! Hope everything acclimate nicely. Keep us updated

Thanks Sammy. I feed Spectrum pellets, cyclopeeze, mysis, Kent Marine Zoe, and phytoplankton.

As for leathers, I think less is more in a nano. I recently removed my finger leather to reduce the number in my tank to 3 and that still may be too much. I think 1 or 2 in a 24G is probably the right number. I also throw in a poly-filter into the rear chamber every now and then when it looks like alleopathy may be flaring up.

I'm still torn on the upgrade because I don't want to bleach or lose any of the coral that I currently keep. Reefone on another thread brought up a valid concern about using the length of the photoperiod to acclimate. I'd really like to hear some real world experiences from other softie tank owners that have upgraded to MH.

I'm still torn on the upgrade because I don't want to bleach or lose any of the coral that I currently keep. Reefone on another thread brought up a valid concern about using the length of the photoperiod to acclimate. I'd really like to hear some real world experiences from other softie tank owners that have upgraded to MH.

I have an AP 24 just like yours and upgraded to Sunpod 150w. I didn't really like the idea of a reduced photo period to acclimate. I followed the directions of others on this site and purchased some screen from Home Depot. I cut it into 4 or 5 sheets and placed it on top of the tank between the light and the water. Every couple of days remove a layer of screen until they are all gone. You will be tempted to remove much quicker or use less screen because the tank will look dim. Caution! MH is very intense light. I steped it up towards the end and found that some corals had a hard time adjusting. Never lost anything though. Trust me, your corals will love it.

Archived