Coral Vue Hydros

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Junkitu you have this in the bag! 44% votes, i woted on your tank, but it was tempting to vote for one other, but your was the best and mose vibrant

lol what camera u got then?

I have a Cannon S80. I know it has the features that will allow me to do more but I just haven't spent the time to play with the settings or even read the manual. Any tips for a lazy a$$ like me?

hey Junkitu you have this in the bag! 44% votes, i woted on your tank, but it was tempting to vote for one other, but your was the best and mose vibrant

Thanks NanoClown! There's still a week of voting and I'm not so sure it's over. The five finalist tanks are all really different and it's hard to choose between them. Thanks for voting for my tank.

no prob! i love it, it was the best of them all, i just wish i could see it in person

I wish I could show it to you because I think it's much nicer in person. Unfortunately, I work in a secure office and visitor access is restricted.

Thanks again for your vote NC. The nano tank of the month is a fun competition but the tank from Taiwan continues to get a ton of votes and my lead keeps shrinking. :(

I picked up some new frags from www.ultimatefrags.com last week. Here is a first day pic of the frag I bought. Rommel also threw in some cool freebies zoa and paly frags. I'll take some better pics and post them later this week.

newzoas.jpg

Here is a better pic of the new zoas (on the left). They were listed as Eagle Eyes but they look more like Watermelons to me. I think the zoas on the right are Eagle Eyes. What do you folks think?

Copy1ofZoas.jpg

BTW, I ended up winning the contest over at RC. :happydance: Mushroom House is now the unofficial Nano Tank Of The Month for January! Thanks to everyone from N-R for their support. :bowdown: You can click the link in my sig to check out my write up and new pics.

Wow, absolutely one of my favorite tanks thus far. I saved around 5-6 images while reading through this thread. Keep up the awesome work! Quite an inspiration, I am now subscribed for further updates and pictures!

-Carl

Any more FTS?

Not much has changed but I do have some new additions in the works. I'll post a new FTS later this month. In the meantime you can check out the latest FTS here.

beautiful tank, really awesome. I like the way you seem to focus more on keeping your livestock happy rather than trying to have all the latest wizz-bang technology. it's nice to see what can be acomplished with minimal equipment. having said that, if you were starting over today would you get the same setup, lighting. etc.? I am thinking of getting an AP24 and trying to decide whether or not to get the 150w Sunpod version ($300 at Premium Aquatics) or go with PC like you. If i go the Sunpod route I would probably get a small chiller as it gets crazy hot here in the summer. CurrentUSA makes a nice little 1/15hp chiller that has a built-in digital dual-stage controller for under $300, seems reasonable and I like the idea of having a way to keep a very steady temp year round and also not having to worry about pumps, lighting etc adding too much heat to the system. any recomendations or thoughts? thanks and keep up the great work :)

Thanks saltyd4wg!

Hmmmm...if I had it to do over again what would I do? That's a tough one but I think I'd go for the HQi version of the Aquapod. I think the flexibility of the hood-less system would be awesome. The PC version is great but I didn't realize how limiting the hood could be. Taking it apart to change bulbs is a pain and cramming the wiring for pumps, heaters, skimmers, probes, etc. into the existing wire sockets is no fun. I also think the temp problems inherent in keeping a small system at the office would be much more easily solved with a hoodless system.

Now it's up to you whether you go for the 70W or the 150W HQi version based on your budget and what you want to keep. If I were starting over I'd probably keep a mixed reef similar to ezcompany's with softies, maybe a few LPS and SPS, and possibly a clam so the 150W would be very appealing.

Now it's up to you whether you go for the 70W or the 150W HQi version based on your budget and what you want to keep. If I were starting over I'd probably keep a mixed reef similar to ezcompany's with softies, maybe a few LPS and SPS, and possibly a clam so the 150W would be very appealing.

thanks for your input. the price difference between the 70 and 150 is only about $50 so I think I will get the 150, now I just need to decide if I really need the chiller or see how it does and maybe get that later if need be. another question I have is about the stand- are you using the matching one from CurrentUSA? I have heard it isn't very sturdy. I actually like the one that JBJ makes for the NC24 (looks better IMO) and another guy on here said he uses that with his AP24 and it fits perfectly. or maybe I can find something locally at a furniture store- hmm so many decisions... :)

thanks for your input. the price difference between the 70 and 150 is only about $50 so I think I will get the 150, now I just need to decide if I really need the chiller or see how it does and maybe get that later if need be. another question I have is about the stand- are you using the matching one from CurrentUSA? I have heard it isn't very sturdy. I actually like the one that JBJ makes for the NC24 (looks better IMO) and another guy on here said he uses that with his AP24 and it fits perfectly. or maybe I can find something locally at a furniture store- hmm so many decisions... :)

Enjoy making the decisions. They're part of the fun. For what it's worth, my LFS said the CurrentUSA stands were not very sturdy. I'm using an office cabinet for mine but I'm sure you can find something that looks better at a furniture store. Have a great time with the new tank and keep us posted.

I came back from a meeting and took a quick look into my tank and this is what I saw omgomgomg

ricattack.jpg

To my horror, the tangerine yuma had extended itself and was "sucking" the life out of one of the candycanes! It was clamped onto the candycane and eventually let go. The candycane looks pretty bad. It slimed up and was showing skeleton. I didn't realize yumas could be so aggressive towards other coral :scarry: Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Archived