ReefCleaners.org

Travis' Pico

Travis

That rock looks cleeeeean, great coralline coverage too. Very nice. :wub:

Best regards

Ann

Hey Ann, check out these macro shots of the rocks.

PP-Clean-Rock-1.jpg

PP-Clean-Rock-2.jpg

PP-Clean-Rock-3.jpg

I definantly would have to suggest cooking rocks when starting up a reef tank!

Here's a FTS whith the water all cleared up...

PP-FTS-11-8-05.jpg

And here's the Left side of the tank...

PP-Side-11-8-05.jpg

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a crash and then 1 strait month of being in a CLOSED container with saltwater and a MJ 900 with no light and no heater.

The Cooking could have gone for another month, but the contest required thr rocks in the tank.

What's awsome is there is NO SIGN of bad algae (eg, Diatoms). Just Coraline and there are some small feather dusters that made it through :)

Thanks for the complements guys :D

question to the quote above travis, is that all you do to "cook" rock? i was thinking along the lines of needing to use heat to "cook" rocks....please correct me if i'm wrong, thanks.

Nope, that's it. darkness, water movement, and time = cooked rock. throw in some water changes, and it will be even better!

I was told to remove rock every week from the water and put it directly into new water! and shake the rock before removing it.

Yeah, you can do that, but I didn't and it seems to have worked out fine.

Actually, I think I will keep it, I mean, I am LITERALLY getting gliter lines all over my rock and outside of my tank :D

I think I ned to get a video up of it...

Update - 11/12/05

Well, I did my first water change today :) Easy ;) I didn't even have to take off the hood, I just droped the pump in the AC, and it sucked it from the display.

I had to fix some of my lights wireing, one of the bulbs would flicker, not any more...

I also took the impeller out of my AC 300 and cut 3 of the 6 wings in half, slowed down the flow just right, now it dosn't suck macro bubbles from the surface.

And since I had to take out the U tube, it knocked over some rocks, so I had to slightly reauascape.

PP-FTS-11-12-05.jpg

PP-Middle-11-12-05.jpg

cooking also involves lots of swishing in extra containers of salt water to remove all detritus from deep inside the rock....

Travis - great pico...looks very sophisticated!!

Since you went barebottom in such a small tank make sure that you siphon out any detritus that the rocks release or your params could deteriorate quickly...

cooking also involves lots of swishing in extra containers of salt water to remove all detritus from deep inside the rock....

I guess what I did is what one might call "Half-Ass Cooking" so I could kill MOST of the bad stuff, but keep MOST of the good stuff, e.g. Coraline :)

I did a bit of cooking the rock for my pico too... while I was waiting for the contest to kick off. I did keep a 5w light on it most of the time. I was surprised at how much life emerged after a few weeks under the tanks lights.

Looks really good so far trav....

I cooked my LR for a good 3 months. lost all the coralline tho. =/

okay, actually i just threw it in a closed container w/ mj1200 and i totally forgot about it until recently when I had to set-up my pico.

okay, actually i just threw it in a closed container w/ mj1200 and i totally forgot about it until recently when I had to set-up my pico.

I did the same thing! Just with a MJ 900 and for one month :lol:

Great minds think alike :)

Oh yeah, I probly should have cooked them alittle longer, because I am getting a small diatome bloom, but that's normal.

WOOT!

I got my first corals for this tank today!

Here's what I got from Tigahboy:

2 Heads of Blastos (Lime Green Center and Floruescet Pink out side)

1 Perple/Green/Pink Yuma Ric

2.5 Polyps of Orange Crush Acans

10+ Polyps of Eagle Eye Zoanthids

6 Polyps of Pink w/ white polka dot centered and Green Skirt Zoanthids

5.5 Polyps of Sun Coral (Maybe Dendro, Waiting for the tenticles to come out)

I'll post some pictures as soon as everything opens up all the way.

Thanks again Tigah!

Oh yeah, on the Orange Crush Acan's rock, there's a small, 2 Pen tips sized Rainbow Acan. It's Green, Purple, and Orange :D

great pics! Those pink speckled zoo's are really hot. I was like "wow" when I first got em. And glad to see they opened up so nicely for you already.

I'll take a FTS by Sunday, I am picking up some Candy Cane Coral and some Green Zoas Satuday at the La Reef Club Monthly Meeting.

Yeah Tigah, those babies are awsome. They started to open up after 10 Minutes of being in the tank as did the other Zoas. The Blastos and Acan started to puff up almost imediatly after beeing placed into the tank. They all seem happy and healthy :)

Archived