inTank Media Baskets

Tigahboy's 15S [LPS-only]

Tigahboy

When you say a bigger hole = high water level, you're talking about the tank water level?

I want to do a open top tank, with no pipes or anything going over the top, so this might be a good option, it just looks like the tank's water level has to be alittle low.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you say a bigger hole = high water level, you're talking about the tank water level?

I want to do a open top tank, with no pipes or anything going over the top, so this might be a good option, it just looks like the tank's water level has to be alittle low.

correct. the hole size in the end cap is VERY important. the smaller the hole, the more likely it will form a siphon instead of a normal gravity-driven flow thru. And when it forms a siphon, that's the max gph flowing thru the bulkhead/overflow, thus the water level of the tank will drop low (but it will be noisy and not as consistent as gravity-driven). So you want the hole large enough so it won't form a siphon...which will get you a higher water level (closer to the top of the tank).

Also, I know ppl w/ dursos or stockmans have sometimes experienced a sudden drop in water level and a loud sucking sound from the overflow. If the overflow has been working fine (silently and w/o variable water levels) up until that point, then likely s@lt-creep or algae has started to clog up the hole.

If you take a toothpick and simply clear the hole, the problem should be fixed. But if the problem persists, then likely you will need to make the hole size a little larger to avoid the noisy siphon effect.

hey!

The light looks great over the new set-up...I fired up the CL today...damn it pushes alot of water!

When are you coming to Nor Cal? You gotta come over with Danny! Also, I want to pick up some SPS from you if you are driving up here.

Mushroom head micro sumo is your other hobby? SVEET.....and that black tubing WAS sexy ill admit...it had a lot of curves *du du DINK!*.........*chirp chirp chirp*

Kill joys.....

Updated FTS:

15g91.jpg

this tank is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZy! like Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs crazy! omgomgomg

do your acans like the bright lighting? i've been thinking of moving all my indos to my MH tank. did you move your chalices in your LPS tank yet? i wanna see :P

Hehe. I tried to keep the light as minimal as possible - 70w MH. So far so good. But I have noticed that my rainbow acan look a lot duller than when they were under T5-only. =/

Some of my micros also have faded a little.

I only moved a few chalice pieces into this tank. They are located above blasto cove (you can kinda see em in the FTS). Not a whole lot of room to work w/, so gotta figure out how to accomodate the other chalice I have in my holding tanks.

*sigh* That's a truly enviable tank. Question, are your dendros hard to take care of? Easier, harder, same as regular tubastreas?

Hmm...wouldn't say "easier" per se...cuz they still need to be fed regularly to keep them happy. But I would definitely say "cooler" b/c they actually open up most of the time, while tubastreas only open up during feeding time.

and thanks for compliment!

U mean the yellow center w/ red rim ones? those are one of my fav morphs. Hard to get a good pic of it tho cuz it's positioned at a funny angle. but I'll try to get one up.

But if you're talkin bout another one, point me in the rite direction.

Archived