Coral Vue Hydros

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Reefers,

I thought I was going to move this week, but the house has been delayed one more week... Very frustrating, but it then gave me a chance to take some top-down pics of my tank, something I have never done....

Enjoy...

MG

23shq10.jpg

23shsgj.jpg

23sht0h.jpg

23shvcy.jpg

23shvut.jpg

23shwjk.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

It's still there, all the way to the right....

MG

Regarding all the arrows, they are the plumbing parts minus the blue box which is the drain kit that comes with your tank...

The other parts I purchased on my own, the return pump was expensive since it's the heart of the tank....

You can purchase a plumbing kit from Oceanics if you want to and all is included minus the return pump...

I however, at the time purchased all the pieces separately while at my lfs, the bulk head inclueded...

Hope this answers the questions you had....

MG

Obsessed Reefer

Yea, I was gonna edit my other post saying that I saw it.

I got a quote from Oceanarium, its my lfs/local Oceanic dealer. They said for a 72G with stand and canopy, is about $1100. The Model 1 sump is $300. I've always wanted a big size tank, but your's has really got me planning. Also, you had like 3 different choices for powerheads in the tank. What did you finally chose? I was thinking about the MJ900, but then I saw JBJ's Dual Output, http://www.jbjlighting.com/P_sp_dualoutput.html , But I'm still waiting for a response from them regarding how much watts each puts out.

Umm. I think that's all my questions for now... O. What is that that your clowns host? A long tenticle nem?

Thanks

Jesse

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Jesse,

The 72 gallon tank is more than enough fun for you; it will take a long time for you to out grow it.

In the meantime you will have lots of fun building it to your wants and desire.

Since you have the height advantage you can easily maintain the tank better than me.

This means that routine maintence would not be a hassle for you. If you were to go with the deeper 90 gallon bowfront, you would only gain depth in the same dimension tank.

That's a problem with light sensitive corals that don't do well near the bottom of such a reef tank. You would have to burn more money on lighting and in the long run that will be more costly.

Stick with the 72 and you'll have your fun...

Regarding powerheads; I really researched a lot before I went with the MJ 1200. It all came down to a really great price and how relieable these pumps are.

Since I run them on my reef keeper I get the best usage out of them. And I'm all about conciling my pumps more than must reefers. I do not like the look of the bulky powerhead Seios or Tunzes in the reef.

Although they serve a greater purpose than the MJ1200 in water movement the MJ are much cheaper and easier to conceal.

The only major drawback is the heat at which they put out, we are talking about 20 watts per head, which is really bad.

Try to find something that is much less than this; the MJ 900 would be an excellent trade in less GPH but also a lot less wattage in your tank.

Hope this helps out.

MG

Obsessed Reefer

Yea. I mean the JBJ Dual Output is really looking nice. But I just need to find out how much watts they put out. I emailed JBJ monday, I got a response wednesday, reply'd, and still no second response. I hope they dont put out a lot, cus that's a lot of GPH.

What was your reasoning for going with a Ozonizer(w/e you call it)?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Ozone is a complicated yet simple solution to the prevention of unwated parasites in your reef tank. It also helps control the amount of waste in your reef by breaking down unwated pollutants.

It even works better when you connect it to a skimmer as I have done. If you could see my tank in person you would see the difference in clarity it creates and maintains.

MG

Obsessed Reefer

Oh... So I guess that means that you dont need it? Cus reading through what you posted about it and how to install it.... way to complicated for me, for now.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Jesse,

Most reefers will and can run a reef as large as mine with no ozone and have great results. In fact I ran mine without one for about 6 months with good results.

As I explored more into reefing I educated myself on the realm of Ozone and decided to take the plunge, I do not regret it and feel it's a very important part of my system.

I would encourage you to run one in the near future but not at all as you bring your monster tank alive.

You will have much less headaches without one than with one, trust me on that.

Mike 'G

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Ha. Yea, I'll have much less headaches reading how to plumb my skimmer before I plumb it also. :P

Edited by Obsessed Reefer
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Jesse,

After looking at your signature I see you have a 12 gallon nano cube deluxe. I had the same tank before I sold it and got me the 72 gallon bow front...

Seems we have very similar taste in the finner things of life. Have you found my old thread on my mikeguerrero signature series tank? It's filled to rim with an evolution much like my 72 tank....

I upgraded the lights and had so much fun with it until I ran out of space and was forced by nature to upgrade.... hehehe

MG

Obsessed Reefer

Edit. I found some threads about your 12G. I've also seen it for sale on NanoCustoms. But I hate ppl that use Tiny pic, cus after awhile your pics get dropped off their site, like half of the threads I went into, no pics came up, only the url's in the tags....

I also came across '20,000Leagus under the sea' thread... WTF!! I want one of those subs. Get a video of it and post it if you can.

Obsessed Reefer

Yea. I saw that already. Looks nice. But do you really think you need a heater with MH on it? lol. Also, great customer service with the one you had that cracked.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Jesse,

Remember that MH is not on 24 hrs therefore at night you can have very strong swings towards 70 degrees. If you don't have a heater to protect your investment at night, kiss it goodbye...

My heater doesn't allow my tank to go below 76 degrees, I use to run it without a heater and when I saw it drop to 71 I new better....

MG

How about checking out my award winning pico:

http://www.nanotank.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=978

MG

Obsessed Reefer

I'll read it later. I just realized, for a little more than a month, by Nano Cube has been w/o a heater. I just found it unplugged, cus in June, we had massive heat waves, guess I never plugged it back in. But I've been up in the night and look at my tank, doesnt drop below 79.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thats because in your nano tank, the volume of water is so small that the heat of the pumps in your tank keep it from dropping.

However, never count on your pumps to maintain your reef, they are not designed to do that.

Just wait and see what happens when you hit winter and don't have a heater and you rely just on your pumps to maintain heat; you'll see as did I.

MG

Obsessed Reefer

Hey Mike,

I was looking through the pics on this thread. I saw your two moonlights, but the middle is missing out on the moonlight. I was thinking you could add another one in the middle, or move the two to the ends of the light fixture, and point them towards the middle.

HTH,

Jesse

p.s. You said you wanted a sig? What pics?

EDIT**

I'll find some good pics

Edited by Obsessed Reefer

Just began checking out the pics on this thread. You've got some real nice coraline growth in there, Mike...Have you utilized any reef 'supplements' to get that kind of growth(ie: Marc Weiss products, etc.)??

There's purple everywhere! Awesome!