Top Shelf Aquatics

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are a couple new editions to the family: elegance coral and branching flower pots... plus a couple of other shots...

MG

2z7rbfc.jpg

2drs8c4.jpg

4h0b5hl.jpg

2yv6uiq.jpg

2ypkabo.jpg

2eda7g8.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Good luck with the elegance mine only lasted a couple days.

Wow,

That's too bad, I'm sorry you lost it, I know the frustrations of losing a coral escpecially in a couple of days...

Mine is two days old, on the first day of dropping it in, it was very extended and large, I should've took the pics of it then...

On the second day, I took the pic and the coral is very much retracted but I watched this coral at my LFS for 3 whole months do the same thing, retract and fully expand....

They have kept elegance corals for at least 4 months with great results, that's why I purchased this one, only two days ago, from their original patch that has been in their for close to 4 months...

I will keep you all posted...

By the way, can you give me some feedback on how she died? How healthy was she at the LFS and then what tank did you bring her home to? etc...

Thanks,

MG

P.S

I forgot to add this picture of my red doughnut I got about 2 1/2 weeks ago, she is doing really great on the sand bed.

42w0xax.jpg

Well I didn't really know what it was when I got it which was surprising since I am familar with most lps. Anyway it looked amazing in the store, and amazing in my tank, you can see a pic in my thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...101495&st=0

I bought it at a local fish store which was probably my first mistake, around here there are 3 or 4 good reef stores and then the run of the mill fish stores. I don't remember why I went in but I got that and a sponge which I also took out for fear it would die and wipe out my tank.

Anyway over 3-4 days it just kept shrinking until it starting melting away. I fed phyto / mysis but didn't help. Perhaps my water was too clean as apparently they prefer dirty water.

Wow 3 months in the LFS I don't think any pieces last that long at shops here let alone something as breathtaking as elgance. Most stuff is gone within days if not hours of arriving from indo, fiji, balli or wherever it came from.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I saw your elegance coral, it's beautiful... I've had those before with sad results in weeks back in a smaller tank...

This is the first time I wait and watch an elegance for 3 months... It's brown with green in the center and not the the most beautiful but I got it because of it's longevity...

We'll see how many days I make, I hope she does very well...

P.S

Your tank is very nice.... love the mixture of LPS and SPS; breaking new barriers....

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I kicked up the resolution to 1600x1200 in order to get some more detail... Here are three shots... I moved my elegance coral to the sandbed and it's opened up and is doing much better than when I first placed it towards the middle of the tank on the rocks; it started to wilt..

MG

403bo7c.jpg

2eltt83.jpg

498bqmg.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The reach on those tentacles is a lot, so I'm keeping my eyes on it. I suspect it will be a couple of weeks before I know it's complete length and will move things accordingly...

But for now it has all the room to move in both directions left and right, I just hope it won't attack my red blasto....

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Just wanted to say gorgeous tank!!

Thanks,

Lets keep the questions rolling, I'm looking forward to answering any questions you might have on my tank.

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are three FTS of my tank using three different modes:

Mode 1 : Aquarium Mode

Mode 2 : Auto Mode

Mode 3 : Manual Mode

2ryqan5.jpg

2h6fxch.jpg

2e3bqe0.jpg

Update on my elegance coral: expanding nicely....

2wly1vn.jpg

And here is a FTS under 1600x1200

4h9inaf.jpg

tank is looking great! thanks for posting high res pictures too, nothing worse then seeing a great tank in small pics. Glad to see your elegance is doing well.

Your royal gramma is either huge or your tangs are very small.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
can you post a current stock list

Sure,

Tangs; Powder Blue Tang, Kole Tang and Blue Tang. One Black Sailfin Blenny, one Royal Gramma, one Yellow Hogfish, one Sixline Wrasse, one Black Oceleris Clown Fish, one Blue Neon Goby, one Blue Cleaner Wrasse and a pair of Firefish.

That gives me a total of 12 fish...

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Just an update:

Stay away from NO-N03 ......

I do a 10 gallon water change almost every Sunday. Well, on one particular day I was visiting my LFS I brought in some tank water...

They checked it with RedSea test kit and my water was over 100 ppm of nitrates; I freaked and went home with NO-N03 I had used it before with good results in the past....

I started it up and it killed one of my beautiful torch corals I had for over 2 years; I was lucky that the other two heads lived....

I immediately stopped the dosage and threw away the bottle, mad that my tank had lost a nice coral....

Then with the influx of this chemical, my beautiful white sandbed gets an awful attack of redslime algae all over the sand...

I had maintained a white sandbed for months now this, all because I tried to take a short cut in the removal of nitrates...

The odd thing about all this is that the night before I put the nitrate remover in my tank, I did a test with Salifert's Nitrate tester and found my nitrates at only about 15-20 ppm...

I didn't rely on that but went ahead and thought oh well, my NO-N03 will bring me down to zero....

Well, it almost brought me down to zero torch heads; BE WARNED THAT THIS PRODUCT CAN AND WILL TAKE OUT ONE OR TWO NICE CORALS IN ADDITION TO TAKING YOU DOWN TO ZERO, I LEARNED THE PAINFUL WAY AND AM WARNING OTHER REEFERS TO MY EXPERIENCE!!!!!

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero
Just an update:

Stay away from NO-N03 ......

I do a 10 gallon water change almost every Sunday. Well, on one particular day I was visiting my LFS I brought in some tank water...

They checked it with RedSea test kit and my water was over 100 ppm of nitrates; I freaked and went home with NO-N03 I had used it before with good results in the past....

Ouchie...Sry to hear the bad news.

Why did you take water to check? Did you suspect something was wrong in the tank?

Just noteing another look at what happened to ya.

I wouldnt trust water test from any LFS -- or at least back their data with my own

from a reliable kit source. Errors occur in testing...I always confirm before change.

Water changes would have been better than any chemical use...sometimes when something takes awhile to get out of wack...it takes awhile to get back under control.

Enough from me...Im WELL aware Mike has plenty of experience...Just sad to

hear it go a little south with such an awesome Reef.

Never use NO_NO3...done Sir!!!

Izzue

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Ouchie...Sry to hear the bad news.

Why did you take water to check? Did you suspect something was wrong in the tank?

Just noteing another look at what happened to ya.

I wouldnt trust water test from any LFS -- or at least back their data with my own

from a reliable kit source. Errors occur in testing...I always confirm before change.

Water changes would have been better than any chemical use...sometimes when something takes awhile to get out of wack...it takes awhile to get back under control.

Enough from me...Im WELL aware Mike has plenty of experience...Just sad to

hear it go a little south with such an awesome Reef.

Never use NO_NO3...done Sir!!!

Izzue

Izzue,

One of my LFS has a beautiful show tank that I adore. On one particular day we were talking about his nitrates and he did a test on his and my good friends tank and showed me the results.

So I thought what the heck I will bring in some of my water from my tank just to get a cross difference from my Salifert.

Now the ironic thing is that all my corals are blooming and the sand bed was white as snow and this RedSea nitrate says, well over 100 ppm. Then the LFS tests his tank and get 5 ppm so I'm very skeptical, I go to another LFS and purchase NO-N03 and take it home, the rest is history.

Point I learned is if corals are doing fine and you are doing regular water changes, don't place in chemicals to lower values, rely on simple water changes or a reactor that's designed to cultivate the correct Nitrate eating bacteria.

I've been saving up for Deltecs new NFP509 reactor I still need another $300 bucks.... but I have a B-day comming up in March, hopefully can convince the wife...

MG