ReefCleaners.org

lgreen's 58g SPS Reef Project

lgreen

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i am going to have to light a candal or go to albs and get some air spray. it seriously smells like someone died and has been rotting for a few weeks.

i put my remora skimmer on there since i don't have the sump w/ euro-reef plumbed in yet.

i'll try running a little carbon too.

update:

sorry there hasn't been an update. running a little behind as usuall.

smell is gone, that's the good news.

no fts till friday night at least.

here are some other pics though:

new skimmer:

7402euroreef6-2_.JPG

My first experience w/ sump/refugium, first experience with weldon and silicone. Went pretty good.

Here is the sump/refugium with the skimmer, rio hyperflow 20, and 12" current usa pc hood:

Front:

7402frontsumpview.JPG

Top Down:

7402topdownsumpview.JPG

basically, the water enters in the box near the back center, flows over a 7" baffle (which acts as a debry trap) into the skimmer area, hits another baffle and goes up the main pump. The pump will have a T and valve, to feed the refugium, which drains back into the main sump.

it's not all they way done. just got some legs for the light, and still have to drill the holes for the refugium water to get to the sump area.

also bought 3 new corals today: (waiting patiently in qt tank until big tank is cycled)

-green fuzzy mushroom rock

-blue mushroom rock

-yellow lettuce cup coral

pics later

ha ha.

lol.

i am such an idiot! i thought the sump would just slide right in the front of the stand so i didn't build the sump until after filling the tank and putting 120 lbs or rock in it. THE D*MN THING DIDN'T FIT! Now i have to drain the tank and remove the rock so i can pull the stand out and insert if through the top. stupid me. oh well, i was going to take all the rock out anyway so i could do the aquascaping ( i just threw it all in there to get it going, no cool aquascaping yet, just a pile of rock).

oh well, rubbermaid trashcan will work to hold the water while i fix my stupid mistake.

pic monday hopefully.

other complaints/problems:

if you didn't see my light thread, one of my bulbs was defective, so waiting for a replacement bulb.

also 10k AB bulbs are pretty freakin yellow... might have to change to 14k if i can sell the dang things.

jeez....this tank is taking longer than i ever planned or expected. oh well it will be worth it.

Oh man... That totally sucks... :| Sorry you had to do that, man. I always dreaded doing something like that when I first setup my tank. Somehow I placed it exactly where it needed to be in order to fit my CPR fuge behind it (and having nothing as a point of reference). Good luck getting all that taken care of! :P

DOH!

I am so familar with that all too common reefing moment during which you relize that something is wrong. Sometimes it's cause you smell something burning, or maybe your carpet is suspiciousally moist...

When do you think the plumbing will be done? You might want to just stick the euro reef into the rubbermaid/tank until things are running, would def. help with the smell.

thanks guys.

luckly i got my handy aqua c remora that has been takin care of biz on the tank.

plumbing is almost done.

i am really trying and hoping that everything will be complete by monday night. it is so close! just need to put the sump in (probably 2 hour job), plub the overflow to the tank, (already built the durso's and installed), plumb the return from the sump, and it will be done! except waiting on the bulb from AM.

Too bad you don't have Tigahboy's Custom Tank Installation Service out there in Idaho. ;) Hahaha. Do you already have the equipment or are you making the all-too-familiar HomeDepot run for the 1000th time? ;)

ha ha. homedepot is like 20 min from my house. plus i can never find anything at homedepot it seems like.

there is a lowes like a mile away from my house though. i think i have been there like 9 times in the last two weeks.

i now hate that place.

i'll post some pics of my diy dursos and the plumb job. i'm just keeping it simple w/ some lockline flair nozles and pvc pipe.

ok. everything is done except some minor plumbing and getting the new bulb.

things are very foggy but i will try to get a sneak peak tonight.

it turned out pretty awesome. ended up w/ 110 lbs of rock, so it is pretty stacked.

those pics are just w/ the ocean blue actinic on. still have one halide that isn't working, so just left the halides off. still pretty bright though.

didn't really plan the aquascaping. that's just kind of how it turned out. there is so many caves though that it is unbelievable. it will make some anthias, gobies, and a dwarf anglel very happy.

nitrite is off the scale, and some nitrate. probably a week or two before i add anything.

i will probably start out w/ the traditional small school of green chromis damsels.

we're getting in some hutchii anthias (4) at the store this week and they will "cure" in the tanks at work until mine is ready for them.

if this truely is going to be an all sps tank, you're gonna have to re-think your rock work and that sandbed. you're not going to have the amount of flow needed for an all sps tank with 75% of your water column taken up by rock. lol. sooooooooooo much rock, bud! i guess you have to start another tank to offset the amount of rock you'll be taking out, huh? ;)

another thing is that if you are planning on an all sps tank, it's probably better if you don't get a lot of fish...just a thought.

looks like a good start.

Originally posted by yoshiod9

if this truely is going to be an all sps tank, you're gonna have to re-think your rock work and that sandbed.  you're not going to have the amount of flow needed for an all sps tank with 75% of your water column taken up by rock.  lol.  sooooooooooo much rock, bud!  i guess you have to start another tank to offset the amount of rock you'll be taking out, huh?  ;)

another thing is that if you are planning on an all sps tank, it's probably better if you don't get a lot of fish...just a thought.  

looks like a good start.

thanks for the comments.

the tank get 60 times turn over per hour. rock can be removed as needed. it's not as beefy as it looks in the pics. don't forget the tank is 18" deep and there is a huge overflow that the rock is hiding.

don't worry, your going to have to trust me more! i do this for a living (and have for several years).

scarletknight06

whats that pump in the top left doing there?

you should really consider taking out some of that rock and moving the seio's to the sides of the tank.

4 anthias is way too many in a 36" tank, plus if you're going SPS the constant feeding isnt going to be beneficial either.

Archived