Innovative Marine Aquariums

lgreen's 58g SPS Reef Project

lgreen

2x150 is awesome but don't forget about the fact that you're planning on 20k bulbs. with 20k's you're not gonna get the par levels you're expecting so growth of your sps isn't going to be all that hot. maybe try to find some phoenix 14k's?? :D

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BKtomodachi

Hah! The race is on... I picked up my 2x250W 20K mogul fixture today from tren. I cant wait to fire this baby up.

I'd look into 14K! These are whiter 20K's if they werent I would have gone 10K.

thanks yoshiod9.

looks like I've got some more thinking to do on that then.

it seems like it would be the best deal then to do the used 2x 175w 10k SE setup and get some supp. fluorescnets, pc's, or t5s.

or to get that 600 dollar aqua medic hood. seems like 2 250w HQI's would be a little intense though.

2x250 w/ 20k, that's pretty cool!

what size tank you putting those on?

you really think ur going to win? ha ha j/k

wow...that's the one to go with! that's a pretty good price, too! lol. now you have me REALLY thinking about upgrading! i don't think it'll be a problem that there isn't a fan because this is one of the hoods that you hang pendant-style. maybe a small fan blowing across the open area between the bulbs and water surface if you want.

this is seeming a little weird. no other site on the net that I have found yet has that light with those specifications.

The aqua medic website also doesn't have it.

I contacted that site above to see if this is for real, so i guess I will find out. I hope it isn't just a mod job that they are selling.

otherwise, I guess Jason @ premium aquatics said finnex makes something exactly the same, i just don't really trust finnex yet since it is so new. Also Tek/sunlight supply has those same specs on one of there hoods but they want like 900 dollars for it.

i hope aquamedic pulls through for me!

ok, i have confrimation from coralreefecosystems that the light is for real.

just checking with premiumaquatics first to see if they can get it for me instead.

ReeferMonkey

I've been pricing those systems out on the web. The 250s run for about $600 so I think the 150s are a pretty good deal at $460. Bookmarked that link for future use.

hopefully the larger ocean lights are built somewhat similar to the smaller ones and i can easily retrofit a pair of those legs made for the current usa satalite lights, so it can sit on the tank, and not have to be hung from the ceiling.

got reply from PA. Aqua Medic said they don't have any of these lights available at this time and it may be a few months before they do.

so I dont know if i should wait, or start looking for something else.

idea.

so i don't have to wait, could i just buy that 2x250w hood, buy 2 150w bulbs and 2 150 w ballasts, and swap them out? Is the wiring the same?

Then i could probably sell the 250w ballast and bulbs pretty easy.

what do you think? or should i just plan on waiting.

i guess the other solution would be maye like the 36" outer orbit, but don't you think i would be sacrificing alot by only going with 1 MH?

thanks

scarletknight06

I dont like 175watt systems because the bulb choice is somewhat more limited

Personally I would still go with either 1 250 DE, 1 250 SE in a lumenarc, or 2 150's

ok, think i got it figured out. PM said it was ok if I just switch the ballast, bulbs and sockets from 250w to 150w, so that is probably what I will end up doing.

so chances are, just to give some of you a heads up, I will have a brand new, never used, never fired (the one that was for my 12g that i took down) Aqua Medic Ocean Light 150w Pendent w/ 20k bulb and ballast for sale, if all goes through well. I probably wont be ready to sell it for about a month, so this is just a pre-sale warning.

also I may have 2--complete aqua medic 250w HQI DE systems (bulbs, ballast, and sockets) for sale with in the next month. Isn't that just what everyone wants? An Aqua Medic dual 250w HQI retrofit kit? :)

i swear every time i put together a tank, it has to be as complicated as possible. It wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't.

new shopping list update:

36" Aqua Medic Ocean Light 2x150w HQI + 2x39w T5

2-Seio 1100 power heads

40# Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand

60# Marshal Island or Kaelini Tonga, mixed w/ some fiji

29g AGA sump/refuge

ASM G-3 Skimmer w/ sedra 5000

2x150w Ebo jager heater

Rio 2500 return pump

scarletknight06

wow, an ASM G3, i think i would only get the G1x

I'd avoid the rio return pump. get a mag or something comparable

(asm g1x) huh huh huh...you know what this skimmer needs? more power!

we'll see. i might as well get the biggest one i can afford though.

I still haven't ruled out doing a euro-reef.

yah, i still dont know about the rio. i might do a quiet one instead. i have heard mags are a little noizy though.

thanks scarletknight

Hey!

I just found a place local who will sell me a euro-reef RS6-2+ for $260.00 (24"x6.5"? w/ sedra 5000). Is that a good deal? Is this better or about the same as a ASM g-3.

Thanks!

Archived