inTank Media Baskets

lgreen's 58g SPS Reef Project

lgreen

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yah, sorry i have been bad about updates, but I have been so busy at school that my tank has had little attention since i set it up. the sememester is almost over and then i will have a month off, so I will finish what I started then.

I'll think about the lights. I will have to do some testing and see if I can get them cooled correctly so that my tank doesn't heat up so bad, and so that my room does feel like a sauna.

also i decided my rock is ugly, so i think i will sell it or trade it in at the fish store, and order some nice marshall island next week.

it will be awesome, just have to wait tell the semester is done.

my uncle is saving me a bunch of awesome sps frags for when i get it finished.

Hey my office can be a sauna too, but with a window opened and a ceiling fan running, it makes to all better... You've gone past the point of return, if gotta finish it! Get a chiller, install some fans, do what ever it takes, but don't quit on us. :)

Feel motivated yet? ;)

Hey my office can be a sauna too, but with a window opened and a ceiling fan running, it makes to all better... You've gone past the point of return, if gotta finish it! Get a chiller, install some fans, do what ever it takes, but don't quit on us. :)

Feel motivated yet? ;)

lol, i haven't quit, i still feel like i'm only starting.

i'll figure something out.

ReefDiver, I don't know if anyone already suggested this to you, or even if you still read this thread, but you could do a Calfo style overflow box. Thats what I'm doing. You don't need to drill the bottom, only the back. HTH.

Sean

cool

wrong thread though

I didn't see any threads about him asking about plumbing (and I did search), so I thought I'd just post it on here. There *is* actually a post by him on the first page about overflows, or something relevant to what I posted, can't remember, so I thought I'd just quickly put a note in for him. Should've PM'd him, just thought of it, sorry.

Sean

Reefer Addict
everything is still alive!

added a yellow umbrella leather, green mushroom rock, some zoos. that's about it.

been busy at school. haven't had time to mess with it too much.

i'll get some new pick up soon.

You might as well stick with your noob coral. Especially if you are short on time and down grading your lights..

3 weeks to finish school and i'll start showing some of you up. i've already got the goods lined up. just need time which will come after the sememester is done.

Reefer Addict
Bah, T-5s are an upgrade!!! :P

LOL!

I guess I belong to the 'old school' as it relates to lighting. Plus, I am too poor to buy new lights...

trust me there will be some major updates, but for now, there is nothing new.

plans:

going to take out some of the "brick" shaped fiji/kaelini rock and replace it with some more random wacky shaped marshall island as i have had a horrible time getting a reef scape that I like with the bricks. need more flat pieces

sump/refugium is in place, but not setup. still have to add sand, chaeto, rock, and fire up the euro-reef. rio hyperflow 20 was to powerful when i tested it, so probably going to buy a eheim 1262 to replace it.

need to buy some fans for the metal halide hood.

then i can actually run my lights with out the tank getting to 95 degrees, and then when i can run the lights, and get the sump/refugium connected, i can actually add some cooler stuff.

trust me, there will be a huge update here in about 3-4 weeks as I finally get this project finished up.

i will be documenting all of my upgrades/changes/finished stuff when I get to it.

sorry for the wait.

shopping list:

eheim 1262 pump (900 gph)

2 Coralife Digital Thermometers

2 SlipxSlip Bulkheads (replace the crappy megaflow ones, since they are barbed, and i need them to be threaded so i can use pvc easier)

2 Slip Strainers (snail gaurd for overflow pipes)

2 20# bags of Caribsea Arag-Alive Sand for the refugium

Chaeto

50 lb box Marshall Island Live Rock

2g jug b-ionic

2 4-6 inch clip on fans

Possible DIY projects:

Saltwater mixer/water change system

Prop tank for growing chaeto (sounds weird, but hard to find chaeto here, so grow for profit, heck yah)

DIY b-ionic doser

Other things to do:

return all the crap to lowes that i never used.

update:

ordered 50 lbs of premium marshall island live rock for the show tank and 6 lbs of marshall island grunge for the sump. Also purchased 40 lbs of Arag-Alive Indo Pacific Sand for the sump/refugium.

no prob at all.

i think there are, but i ripped all the baffels out and am not doing anything fancy at all.

just a plain 29g tank, 40 lbs of arag-alive indo pacific sand, a euro-reef 6-2 plus, and a return pump, chaeto, and i think i will move my 20" 2x40w pc hood to it for the chaeto. no baffels. all just thrown in there very lazily.

if you want something fancy, go here for some design ideas:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

now that's what i'm talkin about! YAH

marshall island live rock. i'm a moron, should have done that in the first place! it is so FREAKING nice!!!!

pics:

newrock11.JPG

newrock21.JPG

newrock3.JPG

time to cook some rock:

live_rock_crock_pot.JPG

sneak peek of one of my awesome corals:

pink zoos

zoos6.JPG

stupid camera. gets everything wrong.

Archived