ReefCleaners.org

22g MrAqua Apex Nano (5/29 OASE Added)

BadCrab

On 5/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, BadCrab said:

So that's where my head is at. I'm leaning towards biting my cheek and ordering the Oase - if it doesn't work out in the reef it could be used on my newest FW project instead of the Fluval 106 I had set aside for it.

Unless... @ml86743 you don't still have that mame overflow collecting dust somewhere do you?

I've used just about every brand canister you can imagine.  They have pros and cons, but the Oase is my absolute favorite.  BioMaster Thermo 350 is what is on my tank (height limits due to the rack the tanks are on).

You can't beat the built in heater and prefilter sponges/chamber.  I switched to the 60ppi sponges and and filled the entire canister with media.  Super easy to just clean/change the prefilter sponges and noto worry about cleaning the actual canister but once or twice a year (due to the 60ppi prefilter sponges).

The AQUARIO Neo Flow Premium pipes are excellent as well, the surface skimmer built into the outlet keeps the surface 100% clean and looks nice.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Wazawai said:

The AQUARIO Neo Flow Premium pipes are excellent as well, the surface skimmer built into the outlet keeps the surface 100% clean and looks nice.

Cheers, Wazawai.  I was wondering if these styles of surface skimmers would even work in my tank, as the standing wave causes the water level to oscillate about a half inch on either side.  I have a Skim350 with a similar attachment on my FW tank and I don't think it would keep up.

I'm getting an Oase for the new FW project.  If I like it, and drilling for the XAqua is still too far out, I'll get another for this reef.

I've been slowly collecting soft corals that catch my eye at LFS the last few weeks.

Current Stock Updated:

Corals

Ricordea florida (5 Variations)
Antillogorgia (elisabethae or americana?)
Sacrophyton
Briareum 
Zoanthids & Palythoas (5 Variations; LA Lakers, Rastas, Bob Marleys, Magicians, (Pink Ones?))

Featured Inverts
Porcelain Crabs (Petrolisthes galathinus) - x3

CleanUp Crew
Banded Trochus Snails
Dwarf Cerith Snails
Virgin Nerite Snails
Ox-Tongue Nerite Snails

Once I upload some better photos, I'd love to get the trade names for the Z&Ps and get some positive species IDs on the others if anyone is keen!

• Like 2

This tank is doing well!
I've continued to add at a slow but steady pace (ricordea and zoanthid variations)
It's time for another ReefCleaners order!  The current CUC can't keep up, so we're bolstering their ranks (a veritable cerith army,) and trying our hand at some complex macroalgaes, too:

reefcleaners.png.7272bab5f2348fe366317f42b7ba5728.png

• Like 1

They are tiny little snails.
Which makes them great for getting between polyps and into crevices other snails just can't get to.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure if you order 10 of them John regularly includes like 50.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:07 AM, Wazawai said:

I've used just about every brand canister you can imagine.  They have pros and cons, but the Oase is my absolute favorite.  BioMaster Thermo 350 is what is on my tank (height limits due to the rack the tanks are on).

You can't beat the built in heater and prefilter sponges/chamber.  I switched to the 60ppi sponges and and filled the entire canister with media.  Super easy to just clean/change the prefilter sponges and noto worry about cleaning the actual canister but once or twice a year (due to the 60ppi prefilter sponges).

I also use biomaster thermo from oase, their heaters is so reliable.
How often and how do you clean/change the pre-filtration medias? :) I've put none till now except carbon and Purigen but after reading your comments it looks like pretty necessary!

Had another local AZ FRAG meeting today, at a local Brewery (Pretzel and Beer Cheese were chefskiss)

It was a pleasure to meet @NoOneLikesADryTang and his better half @EfrainChicagoDeepdish who provided some really stellar coral at the auction for actual theft prices.
I also formally met 
@ef4life, and I have to tell you all: it's such a great feeling being surrounded by passionate hobbyists here in the valley.  If there's anything I can do to support you in growing FRAG please let me know.

Thanks to the former pair, this tank's zoa garden now includes some Kung Fu Fighters, Devils Armor, & Sakura Sunrise.
I also added a synthetic purple gorgonian and a cluster of Sunny D palythoa.

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
18 hours ago, BadCrab said:

Had another local AZ FRAG meeting today, at a local Brewery (Pretzel and Beer Cheese were chefskiss)

It was a pleasure to meet @NoOneLikesADryTang and his better half @EfrainChicagoDeepdish who provided some really stellar coral at the auction for actual theft prices.
I also formally met 
@ef4life, and I have to tell you all: it's such a great feeling being surrounded by passionate hobbyists here in the valley.  If there's anything I can do to support you in growing FRAG please let me know.

Thanks to the former pair, this tank's zoa garden now includes some Kung Fu Fighters, Devils Armor, & Sakura Sunrise.
I also added a synthetic purple gorgonian and a cluster of Sunny D palythoa.

Between the last couple Az Frag meetings, you’ve go the start to a killer zoa garden! The Kung Fu Fighters are one of my favorite zoas. 

It was great to meet another fellow NanoReefer, here locally! I hope the corals do well for you. That photosynthetic Gorgorian is one of my favorite corals in the tank keepers SPS dominant tank. She rarely lets me frag anything from that tank. The Gorgorian only gets auctioned a time or two a year. Some nonsense about my man hands tearing stuff up… Blah Blah Blah.

As I read the previous paragraph to the tank keeper, she reminded me of the dozens of corals I’ve “accidentally fragged”. She started to name them all, but I turned my ears off, and my smile and nod on. I’m sure she’d be happy to share the list with you at the next meeting, however keep in mind, the meetings are only two hours. 

Looking forward to watching this tank mature. You’re way better about updating your build threads than we are, and I’ve really enjoyed reading through it thus far. 

• Haha 1
On 5/11/2023 at 10:01 PM, BadCrab said:

Cheers, Wazawai.  I was wondering if these styles of surface skimmers would even work in my tank, as the standing wave causes the water level to oscillate about a half inch on either side.  I have a Skim350 with a similar attachment on my FW tank and I don't think it would keep up.

I'm getting an Oase for the new FW project.  If I like it, and drilling for the XAqua is still too far out, I'll get another for this reef.

The surface skimmer probably wouldn't work with the wave in your tank.  It can handle a fair bit of surface agitation, but the wave would probably cause it to lose the trapped air that makes it function.

Oase BioMaster Thermo 350 arrived Today!
I had anticipated running it with the stock tubing for a few weeks while funds recovered, but it's clearly not going to work so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of lilys and double taps tonight.  I'll plan on setting up the canister this weekend.

woops.png.58b142ede37dd9c20bb1d3431b5bcaaa.png

ReefCleaners order also arrived.  Unfortunately, the Tectus didn't make the journey.  The Ulva was deemed too loose to use (I knew that was a gamble,) but I managed to stick the Short Codium and Grape Caulerpa onto bases to keep them still and test if they'll grow out.  I'm keeping a close eye on the caulerpa as it arrived rather pale.

A very quick photo of the tank after macros went in, using one of the Orphek filters I picked up (20k, probably should have used the 15k though!)
Like most, I'm self-conscious about photography but I figured I will thank myself later when I can look back at a build thread with photos of the tank gasp.

now.thumb.jpg.b53fd0978ca7881d1465342a90e3819c.jpg

• Like 3

Filter Installation Update

The JARDLI lily pipes arrived safely with the double-taps on Saturday, enabling me to install the OASE 350 and move the tank back against the wall.
Impressed by the quality and cost of the JARDLI pipes:

oase.thumb.jpg.cb8e49cb04c4710a56068e4c5a4275ac.jpglily.thumb.jpg.38c2fed9fd05f53d38454a78659c37e7.jpg

I am also impressed by how quiet the filter's pump is and already appreciate the built-in heater.
I am still waiting on the new A3Jr Mini-Boards from Adaptive Reef so that the controller can be properly swapped out on this system, but the A2 is doing well with some barebones programming (on the floor off to the side of the tank for now!)  The Zoa/Palys were getting blasted so I temporarily cut the pulse intensity by half (down to 20%); everyone responded positively so I've kept it there.

Lily Pipes Installed

installed.thumb.jpg.16ccf3aaf6f3fe1d6d3baf80ca442805.jpg

apex.thumb.png.5e098257b24fef3d10d83fb666148b58.png

It's been about 48 hours since installation and 24 hours since the last 20% water change.  
I bought a very inexpensive set of $20 Orphek phone lenses to combat the SOL Blues and for the price they do alright!

lense.thumb.jpg.f2630e44496f26f9cfa0c914ea85685d.jpg

New FTS:

fts_angled.thumb.jpg.a30c09a726deab8df7d6640f53341707.jpg

fts_side.thumb.jpg.c2956ce99d5e4a0afcb9de116652a35a.jpg

I've already broken my "No Anemones" rule with a rockflower - I'll probably add another or three to keep him company.  I know saltcritters.com is a Sponsor here and I'm keen to try some of theirs during today's sale.

rf.thumb.jpg.1e1e798601b778e0ed21c0de4457e3e8.jpg

gorg.thumb.jpg.a1b70b75199446b4b1494547f2a1a00c.jpg

Ricordea florida garden (there's more variation in color here than the lens will let through,):

ric.thumb.jpg.97e0c80f9743a8c3e5b9c1ceb1c94ef8.jpg

Zoanthid and Palythoa garden:

left.thumb.jpg.3f1a56f12f5c902e16e8f5ddd6b3fe80.jpg

zoa.thumb.jpg.99999397ac58c8330b7f77661a8c1ae4.jpg

Lastly, I've made another ReefCleaner's order!
This should arrive Thursday.  Additional bolstering of the CUC along with some invertebrate diversity.
Keeping the featured livestock on this order a surprise until they arrive!

reefcleaners.png.b734b7af99cf4a4a4784022049e9f067.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • BadCrab changed the title to 22g MrAqua Apex Nano (5/29 OASE Added)

Everything arrived safe and sound while I was working today.  Took a short break and most of lunch to acclimate and get everyone in.
I really stirred up the tank burying the feather dusters.   I'm not sure one of them made it - doesn't smell like death but I haven't seen a crown yet and it's been in the tank for hours now.

The soft coral and anemones from SaltCritters are awesome.  Big, chunky, RFAs.  I was worried the cabbage would be too large, but it's a perfect small specimen.
The ricordea look great, despite my inadequate gluing.  Everything is making themselves at home.
Photos once I get a chance tomorrow or this weekend!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m a bum who didn’t take pictures when he promised. Maybe this weekend, but I got roped into doing a video presentation at work. So I’ve got less then two weeks to learn how to shoot and edit video. I am a clown. 🤡

BOYS. My retail MXM arrived safe and sound. I have nothing to control with it currently, though.  Right now the WXM and VDM are doing all the heavy lifting, so I might need to start getting equipment for another tank.

IMG_1092.thumb.jpeg.ecb55033c21f04b82dd99cd624b8ce1f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've let the macros have the right side of the tank - unfortunately, the short codium and red gracilaria I had here didn't grow as quickly as the Saron Shrimp and Money Cowrie noshed them.  The Caulerpa (cupressoides var. lycopodium) from ReefCleaners has thrived though, and it's about time for another pruning.

Does anyone have experience with this macro?  I was surprised to see how sparse the "grape clusters" were in my tank - many photos I've seen show chunky stems full of them.  Maybe @johnmaloney has some insight on this?

image.thumb.jpeg.c99fcf7743347dbe9b1a5cd176dc7aee.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been making purchases for an auto-water-change setup for this tank.
I can fit two Trigger Systems reservoirs under the tank (one for new saltwater, one for old.)

The plan is to rearrange equipment this weekend and get it set up.
I'm still waiting for Adaptive Reef mini-boards to release at BRS - the rest of the controller project is hung up on that.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, schgr.cube said:

Shame I didn't see this sooner, I have a few lily pipes and VIV glass overflows for sale, could have saved you some cash!

Thank looks great though, really digging how it is coming together!

I don't mind having options!  I'll shoot you a DM so we can work something out.

I rearranged equipment this weekend to (finally) get the AWC set up. I'm currently changing out 1/3rd of a gallon per day.
When I plumb anything - even a 1/4" tube, apparently - it takes three or four orders until I actually order all the right stuff :lol:

The OASE was moved out from the stand to make room for two reservoirs from Trigger Systems.  I ended up using a great tubing product called Surethane on recommendation from one of the engineers here. It's metric, like the tubing that comes with the DOS, so it fits the stock compression fittings perfectly.  It did mean using 3/16 barbed fittings where they terminated though - both into the reservoirs and the line holder in the tank.  

The DOS is just waiting for Adaptive Reef Mini Boards... one day... soon... ?
So the controller is still a mess, but the livestock is settling in.  Magician Palys recovered from bleaching (PAR meter says they were in a hot spot.)  I cut back the caulerpa every other weekend or so - the thick runners make that very easy.  The cabbage leather is still in jail because it refuses to attach to a shell so I can easily glue it.  And - very sadly - the system has developed a planaria problem.  I've only seen them on the glass, nothing on corals yet. 

As there are very few control options suitable for the tank, if push comes to shove I'm strongly considering breaking the no-fish rule for a small wrasse (Wetmorella or Pseudocheilinops) or damsel (C. springeri or talboti.)

Anyway, here are a few quick photos from tonight because that's what this thread is for!

fts.thumb.jpg.3966ea9b0a43aeeedfb2259457c30d6b.jpg

left.thumb.jpg.00b868064893d81b1d1ee59436673fc4.jpg

right.thumb.jpg.10376eab17e76cd634ac53f04235910c.jpg

above.thumb.jpg.569eaad5f5fb0b475bd8e2968e3ab793.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

When I woke up this morning the Adaptive Reef Mini Boards had finally been launched at BRS!  
I ordered a set for this tank - I'll finally get the controller off the floor and switched over to the A3Jr

mini.jpg.debd699d60bbc9d88011d3cfa59d6cb2.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

A few life changes later and the tank upgrade got derailed.  All the new controller gear has been in stasis for a bit - moved to storage. We had planned on buying a home before the rate increases but now we're not entirely sure what we're doing.

I just ordered and received a nice large batch of nano-sized snails from reefcleaners.

Unfortunately, the extremely gluttonous dottyback ate an entire dwarf cerith snail (shell and all) whole.  I can see it in his belly.  Hopefully, he passes it one way or another.  He doesn't seem nearly as concerned about it as I am, though.

I've enjoyed having the fish in here, despite my initial commitment to be fishless.  He hasn't helped with the planaria at all, but he's feisty and full of personality.  

I'll try and update with some photos when I can.  There's been a disappointing lack of growth that I haven't pinned on anything specific yet.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1