Yellow Submarine Favia

UNS45u-0037.thumb.jpg.5dfd61db01b74cf52b5015d5fd333062.jpg

Miami Hurricane Chalice

UNS45u-0038.thumb.jpg.bf133aedef6b169154486789b85cb5b8.jpg

Pikachu Zoas

UNS45u-0039.thumb.jpg.6aed25d7f38ea8ae2a3bae973bf1ff0e.jpg

Blue Raven Blasto

UNS45u-0040.thumb.jpg.cfe6943d6459e0a7c4a8a7c6f611d877.jpg

Spicy Lemon Favia (got for free and was 100% brown, already starting to color up.)

UNS45u-0041.thumb.jpg.e70ade7d0385cb9612ef81408978c73f.jpg

Sonic Boom Favites

• Like 3
schgr.cube

Couldn't pass up an opportunity to grab a photo of the Fu Manchu shrimp when he was out and about during the day. He mostly stays buried until nighttime but is getting a bit more confident now that he has been in here for a few weeks.

UNS45u-0042.thumb.jpg.736bf67c8340193ec8266f414fd8c824.jpg

Definitely reminds me of a Mantis Shrimp with those eyes.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
schgr.cube
On 2/1/2024 at 4:18 PM, Reefkid88 said:

That Sonic Boom though 🤤

It has a pretty good amount of mouths! It also looks way better with the new lighting.

Some big updates, but no photos. I'll grab some later today:

• I am removing the anemone, as well as some of the Zoas and mushrooms that I had in here with the macroalgae (these hitchhiked with the rock I moved from my 38-gallon). They are taking up valuable real estate, especially the anemone as he has almost the entire high-flow area to himself.
  • As I already have 5 SPS frags in this tank and have a few very low-flow spots, I needed a way to increase the overall flow. The canister filter was also clogged every once in a while from sand making its way into the inlet, which would lower the flow even more. I removed the canister filter, redid the plumbing a bit, and now have the tank set up with a tiny little custom 2-gallon sump.
  • While the freshwater Blade and ReefBrite XHO didn't visually look too bad, it wasn't ideal for this setup to move back to coral. I ditched the Blade and picked up an AI Prime 16HD. I will be redoing the little hood I made to still accommodate the XHO strips for a little extra punch!

I feel like I have come full circle to how this tank was set up in the past, but much much more refined. I have some kinks to work out with the plumbing (mostly to eliminate noise from the overflow pipe), but I think that this tank will be an absolute stunner once it is all worked out and grown in! A perfect balance of form AND function.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing a photo of the sump setup?

I love the look of this so much, I'm looking for potential upgrade ideas.

schgr.cube
4 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Would you mind sharing a photo of the sump setup?

I love the look of this so much, I'm looking for potential upgrade ideas.

Yes, I'll get the photos shortly! Things are pretty messy at the moment, especially in regards to my cable management 😆

4 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Yes, I'll get the photos shortly! Things are pretty messy at the moment, especially in regards to my cable management 😆

I really appreciate it.  I always come back to the look of these type aquariums, love lily pipes, love the clean build.  I'd like to DIY a stand for something in the 15-25 gallon range with a sump to house all my equipment.  Had my eyes on the 22 longs for quite sometime..  I just have no clue where to start.  All your input is welcome/appreciated.  

schgr.cube
15 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

I really appreciate it.  I always come back to the look of these type aquariums, love lily pipes, love the clean build.  I'd like to DIY a stand for something in the 15-25 gallon range with a sump to house all my equipment.  Had my eyes on the 22 longs for quite sometime..  I just have no clue where to start.  All your input is welcome/appreciated.  

I agree, I certainly made things more difficult for myself with a setup like this, and it can be quite limiting in certain ways, but when you see it done....it's unbeatable.

I would be happy to post some photos and maybe do a small video walkthrough. I would advise against lily pipes though, to be honest....they are just such a pain to keep clean, and it really isn't much work to do a drilled setup to make the plumbing hide better. Plus being able to scrape 100% of my glass is nice 😜

22 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

I agree, I certainly made things more difficult for myself with a setup like this, and it can be quite limiting in certain ways, but when you see it done....it's unbeatable.

I would be happy to post some photos and maybe do a small video walkthrough. I would advise against lily pipes though, to be honest....they are just such a pain to keep clean, and it really isn't much work to do a drilled setup to make the plumbing hide better. Plus being able to scrape 100% of my glass is nice 😜

That would be awesome - no problems going the drilling route either.  You're right, I've heard the same thing about the lily pipes over and over again.  I've always been drawn to nano tanks more than anything and that's why the AIO's have been so appealing.   I just have no space to put anything and it's getting unpleasant to look at.  I would greatly appreciate some guidance and if I can get away with a real simple sump design that would be even better.  The premade setups are pricey.. 

schgr.cube
On 2/5/2024 at 2:53 PM, ml86743 said:

That would be awesome - no problems going the drilling route either.  You're right, I've heard the same thing about the lily pipes over and over again.  I've always been drawn to nano tanks more than anything and that's why the AIO's have been so appealing.   I just have no space to put anything and it's getting unpleasant to look at.  I would greatly appreciate some guidance and if I can get away with a real simple sump design that would be even better.  The premade setups are pricey.. 

Absolutely. I think the size of my stand was the real limiting factor, and why my sump isn't what I would consider super effective. It works well enough for me and I want to really just leave things alone at this point to let them grow, but I would recommend going with a 15-25 gallon or so if you can help it.

I'll go over things in more detail when I make the video for you, but here are the things I have learned so far:

• One hole for overflow and one for return drilled into the tank itself.
  • One hole for an inlet and two for outlets with a closed loop to separate flow from the sump would be ideal, if your tank has the space.
  • A stand large enough to accommodate at least a 5-gallon sump, if not 10 gallons would be perfect.

I think if you could work within those parameters, you would be a lot more successful with this invisible equipment setup than I am. I would love to build this idea on a slightly bigger scale in the future, but am going to focus on growing this guy out for now.

As a side note, I recently found flatworms again. I'm not sure if this was from a recent addition or if they really just have been carrying from aquarium to aquarium over the last year and a half and I haven't seen them. I suspect it is the former, as I have not been dipping things lately, and I really haven't seen any in a long time. I dosed one round of flatworm exit and siphoned out a few thousand (!!), but will probably dose again after work.

• Like 1
Justind823

Very cool! Loving the new look. I tried macros for awhile but since I have enough trouble keeping my nutrients up, macros were not the best choice.

That shrimp is awesome, never seen one in person. Get a video of it burying in the sand!

20 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Absolutely. I think the size of my stand was the real limiting factor, and why my sump isn't what I would consider super effective. It works well enough for me and I want to really just leave things alone at this point to let them grow, but I would recommend going with a 15-25 gallon or so if you can help it.

I'll go over things in more detail when I make the video for you, but here are the things I have learned so far:

• One hole for overflow and one for return drilled into the tank itself.
  • One hole for an inlet and two for outlets with a closed loop to separate flow from the sump would be ideal, if your tank has the space.
  • A stand large enough to accommodate at least a 5-gallon sump, if not 10 gallons would be perfect.

I think if you could work within those parameters, you would be a lot more successful with this invisible equipment setup than I am. I would love to build this idea on a slightly bigger scale in the future, but am going to focus on growing this guy out for now.

As a side note, I recently found flatworms again. I'm not sure if this was from a recent addition or if they really just have been carrying from aquarium to aquarium over the last year and a half and I haven't seen them. I suspect it is the former, as I have not been dipping things lately, and I really haven't seen any in a long time. I dosed one round of flatworm exit and siphoned out a few thousand (!!), but will probably dose again after work.

Thanks for this info - I have seen the closed loop separated from the sump on another 22 long build and that was what I was considering doing.  I've never plumbed anything closed loop before so I'm honestly not sure how it works.  I like the idea of a larger sump, I agree with you on that front.  I'd like to build a stand large enough to accommodate all these feature.   What overflow do you recommend?  

Standard red planaria?  I have tons..need to get around to some flatworm exit I've just been a little scared because things are doing really well haha..

schgr.cube
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Thanks for this info - I have seen the closed loop separated from the sump on another 22 long build and that was what I was considering doing.  I've never plumbed anything closed loop before so I'm honestly not sure how it works.  I like the idea of a larger sump, I agree with you on that front.  I'd like to build a stand large enough to accommodate all these feature.   What overflow do you recommend?  

Standard red planaria?  I have tons..need to get around to some flatworm exit I've just been a little scared because things are doing really well haha..

That honestly depends on what you are planning on doing for the visual side of the plumbing. One of my original ideas was to just custom build an acrylic overflow in the middle of the tank, with just a durso standpipe inside. On my current setup, I just have a single 3/4" PVC with teeth cut out of a 1" connector and an elbow with airline tubing to eliminate the noise. I think if you plan on doing something similar to what I did, you will likely be going custom for the overflow.

As for the closed loop, it would basically be an inlet pipe and to outflow pipe(s) in the tank itself, with the plumbing connected straight to a pump (that supports closed-loop configurations). The Ecotech Vectra S2 is a phenomenal choice for this due to its wave-making capabilities, but damn is it expensive.

Yupp, standard red ones! I think I had great success with my two rounds of FWE, but we will have to wait and see. I may run another dose next week just to be sure, but want to give things time to settle down first. I must have accidentally done something last night to the heater, as I woke up this morning with the tank at 67*. I brought the temps back up slowly, but I am unsure how this will impact things....some of the coral looks super pissed.

• schgr.cube changed the title to schgr.cube's Ultum Nature Systems 45u - tons of new coral added
schgr.cube

I need to take some photos tonight, but quite a few changes!

I removed the gorgonian and most of the blue spot mushrooms (I left one attached to the main rocks, I just didn't want them taking over). I also removed the RBTA, not because I was worried about it splitting in a nano, but it was taking up real estate for the ever-increasing SPS I have been getting.

Adding to that, @YHSublime kindly provided me with some frags yesterday when I went to check out his new BBQ truck (Go check out Beef Space if you are in the DC area, it was amazing!). Very healthy-sized Walt Disney Acro and Cali Torts, as well as Oregon Tort, Hulk Tenuis, and Acid Trip Mille. An amazing haul!

Because my clowns now look super sad without their anemone, and I have a decent lack of movement in the tank now, I decided to pull the trigger on a nice Hammer Coral. I splurged as an early birthday present and bought this gorgeous Malaysian Rainbow Hologram Hammer. It should be here on Thursday.

Feb2024MidHammerFL01.jpg.e5767538f3151f967fb5ec15a0f8b23e.jpg

I'll grab some photos of the tank tonight, I just haven't yet arranged the new pieces where I hope to grow them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
schgr.cube

Okay, sorry for the lack of photos of recent stuff.

Here is the most recent FTS, which shows the most recent plumbing situation:

UNS45u-0043.thumb.jpg.017bf44cb1cbf54a9c70feec7a7ab4e3.jpg

I also wanted to show the coloration on the Spicy Lemon Favia, which is increased greatly from what you can see toward the top of the page from January 31st:

UNS45u-0044.thumb.jpg.8e1597eca24b2173457eaf5682b9b70b.jpg

Another recent pickup from a local reef friend, a rainbow Lord which is about half skeleton on the other side from not doing too well in his tank. I'll try to spin it around and grab a photo of the other side soon to be able to compare back to later:

UNS45u-0045.thumb.jpg.dc0248577f511ea7915f153abdc88a8c.jpg

My recent Stratocaster purchase isn't quite as colorful as I thought it would be. I am hopeful it just needs some time to look really good:

UNS45u-0046.thumb.jpg.f4681d0c06bd39241b6633b5a5d2f829.jpg

The WD I got from Isaac, which has a ton more growth on the other side. I definitely didn't face this one in a way that is ideal to photograph the most color, but I like how the shape sits with the rockwork. You may also notice vermetid snails (or maybe tiny feather dusters, I hope), bubble algae, and some other algae on the plug. Hoping none of this stays around long:

UNS45u-0048.thumb.jpg.988ace7b7884706f7dd0eca49400311b.jpg

My half of the Cali Tort that I decided to keep, with the larger half going to the guy who gave me the Lord pictured above:

UNS45u-0047.thumb.jpg.2dc6c69ab69f8f0a438ab6cc5860389e.jpg

What Isaac believes is a Hulk Bali Tenuis, but is stunningly bright no matter what it is:

UNS45u-0049.thumb.jpg.64b6f80427a074869e1c717c300183d9.jpg

I'll grab photos of the other stuff when I figure out some placement.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
schgr.cube

I've decided I'm going to try a bit harder to get good photos. I messed around a bit tonight, and was able to sort out a lighting profile I think works well, and also how I plan on editing my photos. Here is one result:

UNS45u-0050.thumb.jpg.9e69655f8b73df3114089070efb62357.jpg

I know there are definitely better photographers out there (or on NR!), but I think if I can achieve this with most photos I'll feel really good!

• Like 3
schgr.cube

These flatworms are pissing me off. I suspect that the new waves I am seeing are eggs hatching, but I feel like continuous dosing every 4-5 days is pissing my zoas off.

I don't love the idea of buying a fish just for pest control (in such a small tank), but if I am going to I might as well do something unique. Should I feel bad about putting a Tanaka's Wrasse in a 10-gallon with two clownfish? I have been looking for one more fish to add to this tank, and was leaning toward 2-3 tiny gobies (such as green banded), but the wrasse would be fun as well.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
20 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

These flatworms are pissing me off. I suspect that the new waves I am seeing are eggs hatching, but I feel like continuous dosing every 4-5 days is pissing my zoas off.

I don't love the idea of buying a fish just for pest control (in such a small tank), but if I am going to I might as well do something unique. Should I feel bad about putting a Tanaka's Wrasse in a 10-gallon with two clownfish? I have been looking for one more fish to add to this tank, and was leaning toward 2-3 tiny gobies (such as green banded), but the wrasse would be fun as well.

Thoughts?

wrasses are soooooo good at pest control. I had a flatworm outbreak a few years back. Literally thousands of them on the glass. Melanarus wiped them out within days. Any wrasse from the Halichoeres genus will be such a good pest eater.

schgr.cube
5 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

wrasses are soooooo good at pest control. I had a flatworm outbreak a few years back. Literally thousands of them on the glass. Melanarus wiped them out within days. Any wrasse from the Halichoeres genus will be such a good pest eater.

Oh yeah, I wish I had the room for one! I think the Possum wrasses will still do the job and be okay in my size tank, I just feel 10 gallons is a bit small for one with the clowns...idk.

My hammer came in, and it is GORGEOUS!

Photo under white lighting since I still can't find my orange lens filter:

UNS45u-0051.thumb.jpg.e0d939523edaa64f57522fef92d67945.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh yeah, I wish I had the room for one! I think the Possum wrasses will still do the job and be okay in my size tank, I just feel 10 gallons is a bit small for one with the clowns...idk.

what about a 4 line wrasse?

schgr.cube
54 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

what about a 4 line wrasse?

Not a bad option! Or a Pink Streaked Wrasse could also work. I think any of the smaller 2-3" wrasses would probably do what I need to do.

Edit: My local shop only carries Pink Streaked and Yellow Banded Possum Wrasses. I can go further out, but they usually have healthy fish at a good price.

• Like 2

My pink streaked hasn’t touched my flatworms 😕 not sure if that’s common or what.  He’s cool tho, he can stay lol!!

schgr.cube
On 2/17/2024 at 11:12 PM, ml86743 said:

My pink streaked hasn’t touched my flatworms 😕 not sure if that’s common or what.  He’s cool tho, he can stay lol!!

Hmmm interesting....well hopefully it won't be necessary, but I think they are still an interesting addition to the tank!

In other news, I caved and ordered a tiny wavemaker (Jebao SLW-3) that I will run the cable down through the overflow and then out of the sump to power. I am getting too frustrated trying to balance flow and noise with this setup, so I am just going to have to sacrifice a little more on the aesthetics side.

Once I get this sorted out, I will be able to finalize my redone aquascape and finally glue coral down! I'm ready for some stability.

• Like 1