Pod Your Reef

schgr.cube's Ultum Nature Systems 45u - tons of new coral added

schgr.cube

schgr.cube

Here is an updated full tank shot.

UNS45u-0052.thumb.jpg.cb8fd028e431ff592b33f5843f3dccd9.jpg

I need to adjust one more thing with the plumbing before fully securing the rock, but I am pretty happy with things overall. Once the plumbing and powerhead are covered in coralline, this will return to being a pretty invisible build! I am going to run the wiring for the powerhead down through the overflow, so you won't see the cable for that soon.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
schgr.cube

I got a new orange filter for my camera that works well! I'll be able to take decently accurate blue-light photos now.

I also picked up two things yesterday, a Mind Trick Zoa and a nice blue and green Lord. I don't have a photo of the Lord, but I grabbed a shot of the new Zoa and that struggling Rhodactis mushroom I saved a bit ago that is starting to color up nicely!

UNS45u-0053.thumb.jpg.052e170a0ee50e7f87726cf9bb0fecad.jpg

UNS45u-0054.thumb.jpg.cfb5086e575063999326c221c4cbaf84.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
schgr.cube

Good news and bad news.

Bad news:

I had an ATO failure that nuked my whole tank, with the only survivors being my clowns and my Rainbow Hologram Hammer. I'm not sure how I lucked out on that particular coral, but everything else is completely gone. I had picked up a brand new Waterbox 110 for dirt cheap due to a tiny little chip in the glass that I began setting up, but I just don't have the space in this house to make it work so I bailed on that.

Good news:

I decided to set this tank back up with some of the equipment I had acquired for the WB 110, and am going to keep things a bit simpler. I will be using a Radion XR15 Blue G6, a Vectra S3, and an inline heater. There will be NO chemical or mechanical filtration beyond live rock, although I will be dosing 3-part and Red Sea AB+. I will be keeping this tank in its original location in our kitchen, but due to my partner really hating the blue light spilling into our living space, I opted to create a hood to minimize light spill. I will use this to my advantage and mount the ATO sensor coming down from the hood, eliminating the need for my rockwork to touch the surface of the water.

UNS45u-0055.thumb.jpeg.f96e1c62882a710aa2a0192f170e10e8.jpeg

Testing the fit of the hood I built.

Although I hate the idea of having a nano rimless with a hood, I think this will be a great compromise and will still look amazing. Stay tuned, I hope to have it wet again within the next few days!

• Like 3
mitten_reef

sorry about the crash.  where are the survivor staying?  

The concept here is always very intriguing, look forward to seeing the full shot of the revised system.  

schgr.cube
19 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

sorry about the crash.  where are the survivor staying?  

The concept here is always very intriguing, look forward to seeing the full shot of the revised system.  

They are staying in my friends 120 gallon, where I moved everything into after the crash happened. There were quite a few pieces that looked rough but I thought might make it, but ultimately everything melted (except for the hammer).

The nice thing about this revision is that my aquascape won't be quite as dependent on the plumbing, so I will be able to keep it a bit more simple. I will also be stacking piece of shelf rock with holes in it to slide over the plumbing, so I think it will be easier to add coral as well.

• Like 2