Cultivated Reef

9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest - NEW FTS

NoOneLikesADryTang

mitten_reef
9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Hey Deb! We’re doing good - just busy with life. You know how that goes. I hope you’re doing great! 

You should definitely do it. I love gonis and alveoporas. Generally speaking, I feel like Alveoporas are a little easier. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I’d be happy to share my experiences. 

Thank you so much! That’s so nice of you to say. We really had fun with this tank. 

Ok… Long overdue update. 

Last fall, I started a new job, where I work from home full time. We set up an office in a spare bedroom, that was mostly just used by the cats, for day time naps.

After about a month of working from home, the Tank Keeper asked if I wanted to move a tank into the office so I could enjoy it throughout the day. (Mistake number 1 on her part - she should definitely know better by now.) I said that was a great idea, and we proceed to discuss my options over a beer on a lovely Friday night. She wouldn’t allow this tank to be moved, as this particular ADA tank is her absolute favorite, and she wasn’t about to let me have it when there were other tanks available. (Mistake number 2, unbeknownst to her.) She was ok with me taking whatever corals from it I wanted. It was just the tank itself I wasn’t allowed to have. [Cue Stephanie Tanner “How rude!”]

The very next day we had our local reefing club meeting, which was hosted by Titan Aquatic Exhibits. They specialize in massive acrylic tanks (Mostly 1000+ gallons), but had made a small (for them) tank to raffle at the meeting. The tank being raffled was 48”x18”x14”, made out of 1” thick acrylic. At this point, I’m sure you can see where this is going… I bought $20 worth of raffle tickets (We have to support the local reefing club, yo!) For anyone wondering, I had the Tank Keepers blessing. (Mistake number 3 on her part. Will she ever learn? God, I hope not.) 

There were hundreds of tickets sold for the opportunity to win this tank. The odds of us winning were slim, at best.

As I heard the numbers being called out one by one, for the Titan tank, I couldn’t help but notice as each number was called, it continued to match the tickets in my hand. As the eighth and final number on the winning ticket was called out, I was both excited, and a slightly panicked. It’s not every day I have to convince the tank keeper how it would be rude to the club, and Titan Aquatics to not set up the freshly won tank. Plus, we had most the needed equipment all ready (not really - but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.) 

Needless to say, I didn’t have many bargaining chips. We agreed that we would consolidate a couple of tanks in to my new office (Offish) tank. This tank unfortunately, was a victim of the consolidation. The livestock got dispersed in to our other tanks, and the tank itself got put away in to the corner of a closet. Perhaps one day to reclaim its former glory on a future NanoReef contest. (Hint Hint CM and CBass) 

Sorry I’ve been too lazy to start a build thread, but maybe these pictures of my new office (Offish) tank will suffice until I set up a build thread. 

IMG_5635.thumb.jpeg.2e2e9f7e239bd410b9ecc2a75246da0b.jpeg

IMG_5643.thumb.jpeg.385c9c3795b0f8dc7568d6e0595c3b3d.jpeg

IMG_5642.thumb.jpeg.e367e26080890f12ad5f212ca90b4411.jpeg

could have said to the Titan shop that you know a friend in MI that could use this tank and have them ship it to me.... :rolleyes:

would have saved you a lot of hassle and the ADA would still be alive and well.  but you do you....

new tank looks great!

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 6/22/2023 at 5:17 AM, kekke1082 said:

That tank is lovely! How many gallons does it hold roughly? I love how low profile it is! I'm considering doing a goni garden in the newest iteration of my tank. This little slice of reef heaven is serving as my inspiration 😁

You are too kind. Thank you! This tank holds about 40 gallons. I also paired it with a large sump, so I could have a large chamber to set to set up as an additional display. My plan is to keep a pair of clowns and anemones in the large sump chamber. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 6/22/2023 at 7:59 AM, mitten_reef said:

could have said to the Titan shop that you know a friend in MI that could use this tank and have them ship it to me.... :rolleyes:

would have saved you a lot of hassle and the ADA would still be alive and well.  but you do you....

new tank looks great!

You’re so considerate. I should’ve definitely done that. What the heck was I thinking?! Now I’m stuck hoping for a new Nano Reef competition so that tank can be rescued from the dark, scary closet. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1