Pod Your Reef

9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest - NEW FTS

NoOneLikesADryTang

NoOneLikesADryTang

Today was a sad day for us. Our surprise guest for this tank sadly passed away. 

It was a baby mantis, that was a little less than an inch long. Our suspicion is that he starved to death. We couldn’t get him to eat anything we tried, including multiple frozen options, baby snails, different types of pods, and live brine shrimp. The guys at the store we got him from, said they’d squirt mysis at him, but never actually saw him eat it. The tank keeper is taking it pretty hard, but I’m not sure what more we could have done. 

With all that being said - I guess we’re now taking suggestions for a new resident for this tank. We did see a couple wart skin anglers at a LFS the other day, but I’m not sure how well they’d do in a tank this size. Anyone have experience with them? Any other ideas? Something you guys would like to see? Open to any and all suggestions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I guess we’re now taking suggestions for a new resident for this tank. We did see a couple wart skin anglers at a LFS the other day, but I’m not sure how well they’d do in a tank this size. Anyone have experience with them? Any other ideas? Something you guys would like to see? Open to any and all suggestions. 

IDK, maybe a Coral Croucher.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Today was a sad day for us. Our surprise guest for this tank sadly passed away. 

It was a baby mantis, that was a little less than an inch long. Our suspicion is that he starved to death. We couldn’t get him to eat anything we tried, including multiple frozen options, baby snails, different types of pods, and live brine shrimp. The guys at the store we got him from, said they’d squirt mysis at him, but never actually saw him eat it. The tank keeper is taking it pretty hard, but I’m not sure what more we could have done. 

With all that being said - I guess we’re now taking suggestions for a new resident for this tank. We did see a couple wart skin anglers at a LFS the other day, but I’m not sure how well they’d do in a tank this size. Anyone have experience with them? Any other ideas? Something you guys would like to see? Open to any and all suggestions. 

Sorry to hear.......... yes an angler would work in there but they are dirty............ they take BIG craps after eating something there own size............ have one now in my 20 and doesnt move much and will not eat krill yet..........but likes chromis over for dinner.............. :biggrin: also loves peppermint shrimp............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
17 hours ago, seabass said:

IDK, maybe a Coral Croucher.

This is a cool idea. A while back we talked about a coral croucher (or a pair if we could find them), but didn’t really have anywhere to put them. This might be a good tank for them. Thanks for the suggestions! 

14 hours ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear.......... yes an angler would work in there but they are dirty............ they take BIG craps after eating something there own size............ have one now in my 20 and doesnt move much and will not eat krill yet..........but likes chromis over for dinner.............. :biggrin: also loves peppermint shrimp............

Sounds like my kind of fish. I mean, who doesn’t love fresh fish, or a little shrimp on the barbie?! 

Also, it should be noted we’re open to non fish suggestions too. The tank keeper is a sucker for unique inverts.

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

Banded Coral Shrimp?

Not a bad idea - especially since they aren’t a 100% fish safe. 

4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Antler Crab 😂

We actually had a stag horn crab once. A week or so of being in the tank, and the little bastard decided he’d rather have a shell, and left his stag horn to die. I’m not sure I could talk the tank keeper in to one of those again.  

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Brittle Star

Brittle Sea Star, Red

This would be cool - but I’m not sure he’d have enough places to hide with our minimal rock work. Definitely on the list to consider though. 

Thanks for the suggestions fellas (Les Gars/blokes for my international friends) that made solid suggestions. Keep them coming if you guys have any other ideas. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Squat Lobster? Some form of Sea Slug/Nudi? 

since you mentioned a lobster...either of the dwarf reef lobsters will be cool.  but you shouldn't have mention nudi around this guy tho, we might get the wrong kind of results from him...

Daumi - which is a bit more orange

Daum's Reef Lobster

Debelius - more purple

Debelius' Reef Lobster

or got for red hawaiian reef lobster

Reef Lobster, Red Hawaiian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

since you mentioned a lobster...either of the dwarf reef lobsters will be cool.  but you shouldn't have mention nudi around this guy tho, we might get the wrong kind of results from him...

Daumi - which is a bit more orange

Daum's Reef Lobster

Debelius - more purple

Debelius' Reef Lobster

or got for red hawaiian reef lobster

Reef Lobster, Red Hawaiian

Ooooh that purple one is pretty. 

Tasteful Nudi's? 

• Haha 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

we might get the wrong kind of results from him...

Hey… Whatever it takes to win this contest, so I can flex my competition winning plaque daily on the tank keeper! #greysweatpantseasonishere

4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

either of the dwarf reef lobsters will be cool. 

They would be cool. Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Mitten! I’ll have to check with the tank keeper tonight and see what she thinks. I’ve never had a lobster. Will they leave corals alone? 

4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Tasteful Nudi's? 

Only the finest for NanoReef. I’m classy gentlemen. There’d be no weird angle, or awkward hands in the photos. 

• Haha 7
NoOneLikesADryTang

This weekend we’re going to move our first Goni over to test the tank. I believe I have the perfect test subject for this tank. 

We’ve had this coral for about three years. Roughly a year ago, it decided life was no longer worth living and looked liked this. (This is actually about 6 weeks of improvement. I remember being so excited that color was coming back that I snapped this picture to send to the tank keeper, while she was busy earning money for me to spend on more coral. #saltwatersugarmomma )  

78921199-9EB5-4A7A-B03B-E7826861173C.thumb.jpeg.26e999dfac1ece40c3e01d6c8f58eba1.jpeg

We moved it to another tank and gave it low flow, and low light. In a few months time we were seeing improvement. 

1B2A26E0-E895-481F-A661-2AC2F9AC0C4F.thumb.jpeg.5cd5e29927235e538ad507cca3174b56.jpeg

All though, there were definitely battles with algae wanting to attach to parts of the dead skeleton. This was a couple months after the last photo. Approximately 7 or 8 months post death bed. 

B5631536-B0FE-4693-AD36-C60B1B861E20.thumb.jpeg.16bc3333a5d42d6a133e9257bf3ec2f0.jpeg

This is how it looked last night.  

F8B715DD-304E-486E-B10B-119E1AF8D6F9.thumb.jpeg.63aead6d9d87addf82753ed63ef45cc1.jpeg

It took about a year for this Goni to fully recover. 

I know it isn’t the fanciest Goni out there, but it may just be the hardiest. A perfect first step (coral) towards my journey to flex a contest winning plaque on the tank keeper daily! 

• Like 9
  • Wow 4
On 10/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Whatever it takes to win this contest, so I can flex my competition winning plaque daily on the tank keeper!

What does the tank keeper think of the trophy?

• 3 months later...
NoOneLikesADryTang
On 11/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, seabass said:

What does the tank keeper think of the trophy?

Sorry SeaBass I must’ve missed this. She thinks it’s going to look really good displayed between our tanks! 😏

6 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

Any update?

Thanks for the reminder, good sir. I’ve been really slacking on updating this thread. Without further ado…

There really isn’t a ton to report on this tank, in reality. We’ve got a few goni’s in here, but right now it’s mostly being used for coral overflow from our other tanks. I need to get pictures taken and sell/give away some corals, so I can clear this tank out for it’s intended purpose (Plus, this will please the tank keeper. I don’t think I have to tell you guys, but if the tank keeper is happy, life is good.) I may even take some (most) of these corals to a LFS, for credit, just to be done with them. If anyone is in the Phoenix area and want some free corals (looking at you @Christopher Marks) let me know. I’d love to hook up some fellow NanoReefers. 

In the mean time, here’s a picture of one of my favorite goni’s that’ll be making its way to this tank soon. Some of the polyps are yellow, others are pink. Some are a mix of both pink and yellow. Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me. 

88C7AB38-F3B6-4230-BC7C-AC25787B8FD0.thumb.jpeg.4759946659e9024a50e350277f44e061.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Sorry SeaBass I must’ve missed this. She thinks it’s going to look really good displayed between our tanks! 😏

Thanks for the reminder, good sir. I’ve been really slacking on updating this thread. Without further ado…

There really isn’t a ton to report on this tank, in reality. We’ve got a few goni’s in here, but right now it’s mostly being used for coral overflow from our other tanks. I need to get pictures taken and sell/give away some corals, so I can clear this tank out for it’s intended purpose (Plus, this will please the tank keeper. I don’t think I have to tell you guys, but if the tank keeper is happy, life is good.) I may even take some (most) of these corals to a LFS, for credit, just to be done with them. If anyone is in the Phoenix area and want some free corals (looking at you @Christopher Marks) let me know. I’d love to hook up some fellow NanoReefers. 

In the mean time, here’s a picture of one of my favorite goni’s that’ll be making its way to this tank soon. Some of the polyps are yellow, others are pink. Some are a mix of both pink and yellow. Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me. 

88C7AB38-F3B6-4230-BC7C-AC25787B8FD0.thumb.jpeg.4759946659e9024a50e350277f44e061.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, you might be able to twist my arm into taking a few frags off your hands...

I like to be helpful! 😄 

It would be great to visit again sometime, time sure flies by.

@Christopher Marks, don't fall for it!  He's using you as a pawn to gain favor with the tank keeper....this guy will do anything for favor of the lady...😤

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
NoOneLikesADryTang
22 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hmm, you might be able to twist my arm into taking a few frags off your hands...

I like to be helpful! 😄 

It would be great to visit again sometime, time sure flies by.

It’d be great to catch up. Whenever you’re ready/have time. We almost always have overgrowth so it’s no rush. 

21 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

@Christopher Marks, don't fall for it!  He's using you as a pawn to gain favor with the tank keeper....this guy will do anything for favor of the lady...😤

Hey, hey… Pipe down with these outrageous (but mostly true) allegations!

• Haha 5
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Has anyone ever had a goni completely change colors?

We’ve had this Goni for about 14 months, and this is what it looked like when we got it: 

A94FE4FA-ED25-4A74-89E0-7B26333A5344.thumb.jpeg.83f00dcc02c08af1f5634c1050611320.jpeg

While this is what it looks like currently

CEED9C75-8A02-4A43-9764-3326B021CDFC.thumb.jpeg.5beeb8f170d9dc6f179050c0e6fc7d3a.jpeg

It still has the bright pink tips, and yellow eyes, but most of the polyp has changed from blue to a darker pink. It’s the only Goni I’ve ever seen that has changed so drastically. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 8

You must be the goni whisperer! I probably lost 1 in 3 of every goni/aveleopora I have bought so far. They are fine for weeks, then one day close up and STN.

I finally figured out that some of them are very sensitive to high light. I start them now in a shaded part of the tank, they appear to expand and grow better there.

• Like 3
  • NoOneLikesADryTang changed the title to 9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest - NEW FTS