Innovative Marine Aquariums

9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy

seabass

23 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Could cut off the top... Would make maintenance and scaping easier.

I'm with you; and I'm kind of tempted.  However, one of the appeals for choosing a carboy, was the challenge of keeping it intact.  Plus, I'm concerned that it might reduce the volume to under 4.5 gallons; although I could probably add a reactor to make it qualify again.

I'm definitely going to try to make a scape in it.  I'll post the results even if it's a total fail.

• Like 6

I feel like my theme is coming together.  I'm considering my options; however, I'm currently thinking about a Caribbean ship background (for more of a ship in a bottle feel), pirate flag, or antique treasure map. 🤔

Wall Art 5D, Home Decor Wall Poster, Wall Decor, Optical Illusion Image, State of the Art 3D Tech. (Black Galleon Sea Ship)
  • Like 5

I've been wondering how I might clean up the cords.  I'm thinking that a pirate's hook might do the trick.  Run the cords up through the neck and behind the background.  Cap the neck with the hook to hide the mess without blocking too much light.

Kangaroo's Pirate Hook

Or maybe just something as simple as a black bandana.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Using my newly created branch rock rubble, I'd like to be able to create something like one of these:

212879-9-realreef-branchrock-szbr33-fr.jpg  18674d9fa3f1d0b7a15862e2e2762fb5.jpg  maxresdefault.jpg

For size reference, a paper towel cardboard tube just fits within the bottle's neck.

I'm thinking that I need to:

• Assemble the aquascape outside the bottle (using super glue and mortar).
  • Cut or break it apart into pieces that will fit through the neck (numbering the breaks).
  • Reassemble the structure inside the bottle using super glue.
  • Fill any gaps with additional mortar.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 4
On 10/15/2021 at 10:15 AM, Chowder's Reef said:

My wife was asleep so I nabbed her ipad and did some doodling :ninja:

Do it! Would love to see what you come up with😄

Thanks; it's not super fancy, but I took you up on that @Chowder's Reef.

pirate9to5logo.jpg.f4912a0369b599bf688b85bc6f24110b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1

Looks good so far. If all else fails  trying to fit your scape you could always lay it sideways, cut a hole the long side and use that piece you cut off as a lid. And seal off the cap portion with a cork (maybe epoxied in), then you have the traditional ship in a bottle look with easy aquascape and maintenance.

• Like 3

A few teasers for everyone:

• I received my shrimp.  It's cool, but even smaller than I expected.  Sometimes I have to look for a minute before I can find it (in a 20 gallon tank without any live rock).
  • I also received my live sand from the Gulf of Mexico.  I put it in an unused 20 gallon tank to cure (as you could smell it).  It made the water quite cloudy for a few days.
  • I'm nearly done assembling the rock structure (from the broken bits) outside of the carboy.  Then I'll have to break it into pieces again, in order to get it into the bottle.

I'll post more details on all of this soon.

Also, I revised my custom contest logo again (on this thread's initial post).  Unfortunately, an unscheduled computer reboot lost the new elements (so future changes would be more time consuming).

Pirate9to5.jpg.fdc1f165ee099954c79ee76710ea77d8.jpg

Finally, I added a couple of Squidwards to the Office Space pics in my first post: miltonbeach.jpg.c4067beadbc2503b62105c02f137eaab.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

My rocks went from this...

101121a.jpg

to this...

101121d.jpg

to this:

101921a.jpg

The larger one is 10" tall.

This is what was left over:

101921c.jpg

Next step is to try to fill the cracks with mortar.  I might try using some purple PVC primer to color it up.

After it cures, I'll cut or break it apart again, numbering the parts so I can put it back together again (inside the bottle).

• Like 2
  • Wow 7

So I decided to use thin CA glue and small grained sand instead of mortar.  After beefing up the bases, plus filling and reinforcing the joint gaps, I decided to do a thin layer of sand over both structures.

102121a.jpg

The structures are now rock solid.  I'm pretty sure that the joints are as strong as the rock itself.  However, the surface felt like coarse grit sandpaper.  This concerned me a little as the RFAs might not appreciate their feet being exfoliated every time they moved.

So I took an old round file and rubbed it across the surface.  This dislodged some of the sand grains and knocked down others.  It also brought some of the CA glue to the surface which made the surface smoother.

102121b.jpg

I have to say that it now feels like typical dry rock to the touch.

One of the inspirations for trying this method:

• Like 10
36 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

It looks wonderful. I am impressed.

Thank you!  I hope I can get it looking half this good inside the bottle.

36 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Could you not make a third branch with your leftover?

I'd have to carve it with a grinder to make end pieces (which is possible).  However, I used up a bunch of it to beef up the bases, so there isn't much left.  I'm thinking I might use what's left to mount a couple of Spanish doubloons into (like half sticking out of the rock, as if they've been there awhile and not just recently tossed onto the sand).

Plus the bottle is actually pretty small.  I'm not sure that a third structure would fit comfortably.

• Like 5

I'll be sealing some pirate doubloons in clear epoxy, to be added to my carboy as lost pirate treasure.

Flair.jpg.eab01777be0cacd0414397ba6f05cf57.jpg

I've done a little research and found that many clear epoxy resins aren't designed to be continually underwater (and state that on their label).  I'm not sure if that means they aren't safe when submerged in an aquarium (but that's what they say).  However, I found that Pond Shield is designed for underwater use and is fish safe.  In fact, you can find where people use it to seal their hand made plywood aquariums.

• Like 10
47 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

They may look tiny, but they can put out a fair bit of flow. 👍

I agree, I was impressed when I tested them out.  I'll need a bit of flow for the gorgonian.

However, I might have to remove or trim the nozzles in order to get them to fit.  And getting them stuck to the side of the bottle might be a challenge.  Still, I'm excited to get the "tank" running.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

I agree, I was impressed when I tested them out.  I'll need a bit of flow for the gorgonian.

However, I might have to remove or trim the nozzles in order to get them to fit.  And getting them stuck to the side of the bottle might be a challenge.  Still, I'm excited to get the "tank" running.

Yeah, it'll be difficult to get them to stick since the carboy is cylindrical. Hmm. 🤔

• Like 2

Have you considered epoxying a small neodymium magnet to the pump?  Then you could use another one on the outside of the carboy to hold the pump where you'd like. I'd certainly test that the pump will still run with a magnet on the side before committing with the epoxy.  You may want to scuff the surface of the pump with some sand paper where the epoxy is to bond.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠Caribbean Carboy
  • seabass changed the title to 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠ Caribbean Carboy